2022 Ctr Fredrick King (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2022 Ctr Fredrick King

Postby jpinkham3 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:13 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:I think the pitch just has to be to come play back-up minutes on a championship contender as a freshman and grow under a great developmental staff to step in as the starter whenever Kalkbrenner moves on. If he's truly just interested in playing as much as he can right away, it's probably not going to work and you have to find a plan B.

I agree with most of what you say, but not here. That’s a terrible pitch. It’s a losing pitch. I hope the staff doesn’t use that pitch.

The pitch is “We don’t want you to come to Creighton; we need you to come to Creighton. You can be the piece that takes CU from dark horse title contender to legit title contender. In Omaha, you earn your minutes. Nobody is guaranteed anything. Come in and force our hand. You’ll get the opportunity. Our track record of playing freshmen who earn starter minutes speaks for itself. Our track record of developing bigs who continue to evolve and improve speaks for itself. You’ve got the talent and drive to come in and strengthen that track record even more. It’s there for the taking. Come and take it and be a part of something historic at Creighton. Be a legend.”

I guess Jacob is going to have to put a disclaimer on his post: "Coaches, please do not verbatim use this extremely condensed pitch that I shared on a public message board." :lol:
Follow me on Twitter: @BluejayBuff
jpinkham3

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:14 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:I think the pitch just has to be to come play back-up minutes on a championship contender as a freshman and grow under a great developmental staff to step in as the starter whenever Kalkbrenner moves on. If he's truly just interested in playing as much as he can right away, it's probably not going to work and you have to find a plan B.

I agree with most of what you say, but not here. That’s a terrible pitch. It’s a losing pitch. I hope the staff doesn’t use that pitch.

The pitch is “We don’t want you to come to Creighton; we need you to come to Creighton. You can be the piece that takes CU from dark horse title contender to legit title contender. In Omaha, you earn your minutes. Nobody is guaranteed anything. Come in and force our hand. You’ll get the opportunity. Our track record of playing freshmen who earn starter minutes speaks for itself. Our track record of developing bigs who continue to evolve and improve speaks for itself. You’ve got the talent and drive to come in and strengthen that track record even more. It’s there for the taking. Come and take it and be a part of something historic at Creighton. Be a legend.”

"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:16 pm

vivid_dude wrote:

Recruits after talking to Vivid:
Wizard of Westroads

Postby drbluejay » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:22 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
drbluejay wrote:
go_jays wrote:If anyone can figure out how to make a Kalk/King Kombo be successful... Mac can.

That might be true but it didn't work when Mac tried it with Kenny Lawson and Gregory Echenique. Kenny ended up on the bench before mid season. I do hope King signs with Creighton.

Piss poor example to bring up...Mac didn't "try' to make it work...I get vinegar taste just thinking about how Lawson got dogged. Pre-season MVC PoY, avg'g 12 ppg and gets shitcanned mid-season. To his credit, Kenny handled it with class. Echenique was a good player, but should have been incrementally introduced into the system.

Normally, you gradually ease the new guy into the rotation - not an abrupt change. Would Fred King abruptly replace BigRyan in the starting lineup? Would Farabello replace Trey? No! Such a move upsets the flow, chemistry, and style of play. AND the fanbase would explode with anger, angst, and ire.

Echenique was on the team for a full year before he started a game. He transferred to Creighton in early Jan. 2010 and did not start a game until Jan 7, 2011. Lawson started the first 19 games in the 2010-11 season. Echenique came off the bench beginning Dec 18th 2010 for his first 6 games and then started along side Lawson for the next 4 games. Jan. 19th 2011 was the beginning of Lawson coming off the bench.
drbluejay

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:43 pm

Losing King because of playing time would be frustrating, for sure, but understandable. He could very well not have starter's minutes here until his junior season, unless Kalk leaves early or he develops PF skills, like a consistent outside shot. He may decide its best for him to play big minutes for a less competitive team (like Gtech). If he ends up doing so, it wouldn't surprise me if he hit the transfer portal next season.

Right now, if the coaches are all in for a run at the FF next season, Green is a lot more important than King.
Jaysker12

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:48 pm

vivid_dude wrote:

OK, "pitch" was the wrong word to use there I guess. That's not exactly what they're going to tell him, but that's the role they have to offer. Mac doesn't promise anything he can't or won't deliver in recruiting. Playing an important role on a championship team and their track record of big man development are the biggest things they can sell to him (in addition to whatever he may like about Omaha, the program, NIL opportunities, etc.). I'd be shocked if Mac is jumping through hoops trying to find ways to play two centers together so he can sell King on a significant (in terms of playing time) role in year one.
JacobPadilla

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:57 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:Losing King because of playing time would be frustrating, for sure, but understandable. He could very well not have starter's minutes here until his junior season, unless Kalk leaves early or he develops PF skills, like a consistent outside shot. He may decide its best for him to play big minutes for a less competitive team (like Gtech). If he ends up doing so, it wouldn't surprise me if he hit the transfer portal next season.

Right now, if the coaches are all in for a run at the FF next season, Green is a lot more important than King.

Obviously, anything can happen in a year and Kalkbrenner can decide he really likes school, but I'm assuming this is Kalkbrenner's last year. The jump he made last year was enormous and he has to be on a lot of radars right now.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:53 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:Losing King because of playing time would be frustrating, for sure, but understandable. He could very well not have starter's minutes here until his junior season, unless Kalk leaves early or he develops PF skills, like a consistent outside shot. He may decide its best for him to play big minutes for a less competitive team (like Gtech). If he ends up doing so, it wouldn't surprise me if he hit the transfer portal next season.

Obviously, anything can happen in a year and Kalkbrenner can decide he really likes school, but I'm assuming this is Kalkbrenner's last year. The jump he made last year was enormous and he has to be on a lot of radars right now.

Well, considering the odds of him leaving without a solid first round projection are low, it would take a meteoric rise on the draft boards for him to be gone next year... because I can't find him on anyone's radar. I think he is NBA caliber but the hype hasn't caught up to his ability just yet. I think we need to let that one play out.
Jaysker12

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Nope...wrong pitch.

Wrong pitch, again.

"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Helmzy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:38 pm

Has visits with Utah and BYU after us
Helmzy

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting