2022 Ctr Fredrick King (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2022 Ctr Fredrick King

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:49 pm

There are a couple of teams in the BE that may want to try to go big with us. More likely than not, Kalkbrenner will dissuade teams from trying that approach, especially if we have King available to use in the paint as well.

As an example of us playing 2 big men, with Hegner on the court we often paired him with Martin K and with Patton during Patton's year here. The key may be playing OK D on the wing and stretching the floor sufficiently. We won't play 2 pure post players very much, IMO (how will Kalkbrenner's 3 PT shot look this summer...?_)

That said, Kalk played 29.4 per game last year, and while his conditioning was incredible for a guy his size (and for the pace we usually want to play), it definitely wore him down at points in the year, and he was forced into playing a few games when he pretty much was incapable of jumping because of the ankle sprain toward the end of the year.

At CU, I don't think Mac's ever had a center playing that many minutes:
Bishop - 23.4 and 21.6 per game
Martin K - 25.4 - 23.2
Patton 25.3
Groselle - 21.2
Artino 16.2/Groselle 12.3/Hegner 19.2
Wragge 27.0
Echinique 22.9

By mid season, when people got hurt we went to a strategy of keeping Kalkbrenner more in the paint and funneling defenders to him, but out general preference is to often get our center to hedge and help against the PnR action higher on the court. Getting King 15 minutes a game as backup center could really help with that, and Mac may also have some teams where we could play both -- in particular if Kalk can hit some 3 pt shots.
Chicagojayfan

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Nothing like crappy cold weather when you have a kid from the Bahamas visiting. :x
89 - 60
LJay

Postby bird_call » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:03 pm

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Krampelj - Toby - Patton overlap a few years ago? Not sure how much Toby played with Patton but Toby definitely started next to Krampelj. They all played some minutes at the 5.

If one of the guys can sit in the corner or top of the arc and be a threat to hit an open 3, or threaten a high-low entry pass, it can work on offense.
bird_call

Postby Jaybird » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:24 pm

LJay wrote:Nothing like crappy cold weather when you have a kid from the Bahamas visiting. :x

My thought exactly. We've lost recruits for weirder reasons than bad weather during their visit.

There was some hotshot in both basketball and baseball we brought in way, way back. We thought we had him until he took a visit to Ariz St, where they blew him away with dinner at...Dave and Busters. He couldn't get over how cool it was. (He eventually transferred to Wichita, where he played more baseball than hoops, and played some ball in the pros later). Can't remember his name, but he sure liked Dave & Busters.

Dave Hoppen had it down to Creighton and nebby. He signed with them because, he said later, he wanted to go to a school that had football. He really wanted those Friday night pep rallies and bonfires. He thought that was an important part of the college experience.

Temps in the 80s would have been nice yesterday. Like we'll have in about two days.
Jaybird

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:31 pm

bird_call wrote:Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Krampelj - Toby - Patton overlap a few years ago? Not sure how much Toby played with Patton but Toby definitely started next to Krampelj. They all played some minutes at the 5.

If one of the guys can sit in the corner or top of the arc and be a threat to hit an open 3, or threaten a high-low entry pass, it can work on offense.

Had Zach Hanson too. That was a big team.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Dough Boy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:32 pm

Jaybird wrote:
LJay wrote:Nothing like crappy cold weather when you have a kid from the Bahamas visiting. :x

My thought exactly. We've lost recruits for weirder reasons than bad weather during their visit.

There was some hotshot in both basketball and baseball we brought in way, way back. We thought we had him until he took a visit to Ariz St, where they blew him away with dinner at...Dave and Busters. He couldn't get over how cool it was. (He eventually transferred to Wichita, where he played more baseball than hoops, and played some ball in the pros later). Can't remember his name, but he sure liked Dave & Busters.

Dave Hoppen had it down to Creighton and nebby. He signed with them because, he said later, he wanted to go to a school that had football. He really wanted those Friday night pep rallies and bonfires. He thought that was an important part of the college experience.

Temps in the 80s would have been nice yesterday. Like we'll have in about two days.

Johnny Coy

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Coy-Blown-Away-by-Official-Visit-104453967/
Dough Boy

Postby Jaybird » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Dough Boy wrote:
Jaybird wrote:

Johnny Coy

That's the guy. I remember thinking at the time, "Omaha's got a Dave&Busters. Didn't anybody ask him where he wanted to go to dinner?" Irony is, we might have figured out pretty quick that his best basketball was at a Pop-a-Shot machine. When he got on an actual court, it went downhill fast.
Jaybird

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:25 pm

I'll be very surprised if Kalkbrenner shoots/makes enough 3s that teams actually game plan against it next year.

There's a difference between being a threat to make a 3 and being a shooter like Hegner was. His career 3-point rate was right around 65%. Shooting 3s is what he did and the defense knew that. To play the 2/3/4 at Creighton under Mac's current system you have to be able to handle the ball and make reads on the perimeter while at least being a willing shooter (even if the percentage isn't great like we saw with Kaluma this year).

I think the pitch just has to be to come play back-up minutes on a championship contender as a freshman and grow under a great developmental staff to step in as the starter whenever Kalkbrenner moves on. If he's truly just interested in playing as much as he can right away, it's probably not going to work and you have to find a plan B.
JacobPadilla

Postby jaysfan3 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:34 pm

I will admit I look way too much into social follows and it always leads to disappointment - BUT Fredrick followed Miller in the last 24 hours. He also followed Ben in the last week. He doesn’t follow many people.
jaysfan3

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:01 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:I think the pitch just has to be to come play back-up minutes on a championship contender as a freshman and grow under a great developmental staff to step in as the starter whenever Kalkbrenner moves on. If he's truly just interested in playing as much as he can right away, it's probably not going to work and you have to find a plan B.

I agree with most of what you say, but not here. That’s a terrible pitch. It’s a losing pitch. I hope the staff doesn’t use that pitch.

The pitch is “We don’t want you to come to Creighton; we need you to come to Creighton. You can be the piece that takes CU from dark horse title contender to legit title contender. In Omaha, you earn your minutes. Nobody is guaranteed anything. Come in and force our hand. You’ll get the opportunity. Our track record of playing freshmen who earn starter minutes speaks for itself. Our track record of developing bigs who continue to evolve and improve speaks for itself. You’ve got the talent and drive to come in and strengthen that track record even more. It’s there for the taking. Come and take it and be a part of something historic at Creighton. Be a legend.”
vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting