2022 Transfer Thread

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2022 Transfer Thread

Postby bird_call » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:48 am

bird_call

Postby Trifecta » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:27 am

I'll try to get this back on track since I'm partially to blame for this thread being derailed.

Obviously, King would be the big prize any way that you slice it to fill one of our scholarships. But as far as a wing transfer, I wonder if the staff is prioritizing a well-rounded "bucket-getter" who can create his own shot and be another scoring option? Or are they strictly looking for a knock-down shooter?

While I do think Art, Trey, R2, etc. can improve we still have a big gap to fill with our lack of 3PT shooting. If they bring in a guy that is strictly just a shooter, I would guess that means that JC wasn't what the staff expected or he is too deficient in other areas of his game to get him on the court.

I would be thrilled if the staff pulls a rabbit out of their hats and has some splash additions to the roster. Otherwise, some of the names I've heard rumored don't exactly HYPE me up and get me excited. Unless it's a situation where a coach sees hidden potential from a guy that wasn't clicking at his last school, a la Damien Jefferson...
Trifecta

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:59 am

If CU doesn’t get that knock-down shooter most fans (including me) think the team needs, I wonder what that means?

Did the staff try and fail to get one?

Or did they not pursue one that aggressively because of confidence in our three incoming shooters - Miller, Christofilis (I’m counting him) and Shtolzberg - plus expected improvement from our core guys?

Getting a big guy is WAYYY more important to this roster IMO for that reason. We may have the shooters already. Nothing proven, but absolute high-level potential. We absolutely do not have the big man depth and that would be a glaring hole.
vivid_dude

Postby Ethanfor3 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:21 am

vivid_dude wrote:If CU doesn’t get that knock-down shooter most fans (including me) think the team needs, I wonder what that means?

Did the staff try and fail to get one?

Or did they not pursue one that aggressively because of confidence in our three incoming shooters - Miller, Christofilis (I’m counting him) and Shtolzberg - plus expected improvement from our core guys?

Getting a big guy is WAYYY more important to this roster IMO for that reason. We may have the shooters already. Nothing proven, but absolute high-level potential. We absolutely do not have the big man depth and that would be a glaring hole.

In terms of priority, if we don't get a high quality backup for Kalkbrenner, it could very well derail the promise of next year. By all accounts, Kalkbrenner was incredibly healthy and resilient in '21 - '22 especially considering the number of minutes per game he played. So, in my mind a young, future starting quality center that can eat some minutes is critical (insert King here).

After that, I still think someone that looks and feels like AOC is really important as well to round out the starting 5 and provide some diversity when we start mixing and matching bench players into the game.

AOC was very good in the big guard role this year playing good defense, clearing the boards from the guard position and being one of our better three point shooters.

While I think all of us would expect our returning freshman starters to make big jumps this year and improve their 3 point shooting (I personally think that Trey will make the biggest jump), adding another 3 point shooter will continue to open up the floor for everyone to have open driving lanes.

I have high hopes for all three incoming shooters, but we need to keep in mind that none of them played significant minutes this year (obviously for vastly different reasons, redshirt, ineffectiveness and still in high school). While we can expect them to be better, the jury would be out with regards to their contributions on a team that has very high aspirations.

We have a great situation to sell right now to a top flight wing/ bucket getter with some size and I think we'll get someone there.

I'm not totally confident that we can bring in a top flight big as the situation looks different there. Kalkbrenner is obviously the lead dog and will play a ton barring any injuries, but even King may think he's deserving of starter minutes and not want to settle for 10 - 15 min a game. Not every player views their world as a 2 year plan when they have high aspirations. Any of the experienced bigs likely don't come here as a backup even if the team has the potential to be great, so if we don't get a high end freshman under the idea that he'll backup Kalk for 1 year and then have a path to start, I question whether we end up with a Feazell type again.

Just things to consider when we think of how this could go.
Ethanfor3

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:35 am

KenDiapers wrote:Sounds like King is the main target but I’m hearing that we need to watch out for some guys who aren’t already in the portal for the final scholarship.

nothin' personal Ken, but "HUH"?? 'watch for folks who ARE NOT in the transfer portal YET'. Either the staff is clairvoyant or have access
to well hidden info yet to be revealed!!??? Top players scoring (Davis-DetMercy, Murray-Iowa, Abmas-ORU, Hamilton-UNLV, Mobley-MoSt, Curry-GSW)

Putting the pieces together...

Souley Boum fits the description of 'bucket-getter', more than lockdown shooter. But that can work.

Not having access to practices/staff/etc., I have no idea what the opinion is on John C. He played at
a high-level HS/AAU...and was supposedly showing improvement this season before getting injured.
Not being one given to panic, I have faith that Trey, John C, and Shtolzberg will be enough to keep us
reasonably competitive from the 3 pt line.

Regardless, we will have to depend on Trey/John C early as new folks learn the system. Hopefully, Ben
and any transfer player are fast learners or are coming from a similarly styled system of play.

PS: perhaps 'F the weekend' = Fred K is committing on the weekend? We shall see.

Doncha jus luv puzzles...
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 pm

I guess he didn’t talk with all the guys who are leaving. Tick another one off your list Gtmo!

89 - 60
LJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:19 pm

Transfers with known CU Interest - updated 4-13-22
** Grad Transfer
Blue= Best wing candidates imho
Brown= Committed elsewhere

Guards Hgt Pts Splits Fm
DeAndre Gholston UWM / Mizzou
Sam Griesell N. Dak St. / UNL
Erik Stevenson** So Carolina / WVA
Mark Sears Ohio U / Alabama
Will Richard So Belmont / Florida
Cam Hayes Jr NC St. / LSU
Sean McNeil Sr WVA /
Jalein Llewellyn** Princeton / Clemson
Tristen Newton Sr E Carolina / UConn

Cam Wynter** 6_2 15.8 43/28/80 Drexel
Ethan Wright** 6_3 14.7 50/40/71 Princeton
Souley Boum** 6_3 19.8 41/37/85 UTEP

Forwards
Jaylan Gainey Brown U / Fla St.
Dischon Thomas 6_9 Colo St / Montana
Mwani Wilkinson 6_6 SF LSU / LSU
(back to)

Ben Carlson 6_10 Wisconsin

Center
F Aimaq 7_0 Utah Valley
Gabe Wiznitzer 6_11 L'ville
Xavier Foster 7_0 DNP Iowa St

2022 Frosh Decomits w Jays Interest

Fred King Ctr Louisville
DJ Jefferson SF Tulsa
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Trifecta » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:28 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
KenDiapers wrote:Sounds like King is the main target but I’m hearing that we need to watch out for some guys who aren’t already in the portal for the final scholarship.

nothin' personal Ken, but "HUH"?? 'watch for folks who ARE NOT in the transfer portal YET'. Either the staff is clairvoyant or have access
to well hidden info yet to be revealed!!???

OF COURSE the staff has access to info not yet revealed - they don't have to be clairvoyant. This stuff happens all the time. It would be extremely naive to think that coaching staffs around the country don't occasionally have an inside track on players that have not yet hit the portal. They aren't technically allowed to contact players that aren't in the portal, but you know that they all talk to a "friend of a friend" or a high school/AAU coach, etc.

While it may not be against the rules by the letter of the law, I'm sure there are intermediaries out there all the time trying to gauge interest from players. Everybody does it, and it wouldn't be the shadiest thing that happens in the world of college basketball.
Trifecta

Postby ZMagic30 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:42 pm

It’s actually common knowledge that coaching staffs only learn things from twitter user @TransferPortalUpdates and they are legally obligated to share any info they learn with the internet
ZMagic30

Postby JaysLifer » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:04 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Jaybird wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:I like Helmzy’s existence.

However, I took “F the weekend” as very negative. And now I’m hyperventilating because my mind went to the worst possible news. And now I may need medical attention.

And now Helmzy has a lawsuit on his hands.

Or, you could relax a little. Everything's going to be fine.

Come on, man! You really, truly need to invest in a modern sarcasm-detector.

The one you apparently ordered on your flip phone, while returning a VHS copy of Patch Adams to Blockbuster isn't working, and sadly, out of warranty.

I guess the thing that didn't need to be said, needs to be said for Jaybird. Helmzy, don't worry. I didn't actually seek medical attention and you don't have to worry about being sued. :roll:

In Jaybird's defense, it was a lame attempt at sarcasm. If anything, I read the original post as hyperbole; not so much sarcasm. And then he told you to calm down, which apparently didn't sit well. You would both probably do well to just let it go. And maybe learn that typewritten text isn't the best medium to communicate sarcasm.
JaysLifer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting