2020 Modestas Kancleris - COMMIT

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 Modestas Kancleris - COMMIT

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am

JayPharmAlum wrote:Everything I’ve seen says he is a shooting guard.

Which means he'll be a PF or C for us lol
Jet915

Postby #RollJays » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 am

JayPharmAlum wrote:Everything I’ve seen says he is a shooting guard.

I've seen wing, small forward and power forward. He's definitely a 4 or 5 for us. Everybody loves to project positions based off NBA size comparisons. Hunter Sallis is listed as a PG on Rivals. If you've ever watched Hunter, you know he is a 2 guard.
#RollJays

Postby #RollJays » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 am

He shot 43.8% from the free throw line last year.
#RollJays

Postby Helmzy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 am

#RollJays wrote:He shot 43.8% from the free throw line last year.

What was his 3pt %?
Helmzy

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am

#RollJays wrote:He shot 43.8% from the free throw line last year.

He definitely has some project aspects to him. His shot is a bit slow, but I don't see anything wrong with it and when you see his makes from 3 PT range they are quality shots. I suspect the FT's will improve dramatically while he's here.

But he runs the floor really well, has a good vertical, can handle a bit, has a long wingspan and can play D (particularly after he puts on some bulk for the college game).

He reminds me a bit of Lok Wur in terms of being more upside than current skills before college
Chicagojayfan

Postby fritzpointer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am

Welcome Modestas. Can't wait for you to be a Jay. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby Trifecta » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:42 am

I hope he is more Martin and less Manny Suarez. Not talking about skillsets but rather impact. He definitely has raw skills and could be a nice project player in a couple of years, but it seems like a reach to me. But the chance of having a 6'9" that could potentially be the stretch 4 we've been lacking for a few seasons is intriguing. Nice looking shot, runs the floor well, seems decently athletic.

We've had a run of bad luck on our top targets, and now we are adding depth in case of emergency. Again, not saying it's bad but that it's a bit disappointing considering the prospects a couple of months ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have a great track record with players that the staff has brought in late to fill roster spots. Windham, Suarez, Cashaw, Paras, Albert, etc. I believe all were late additions.
Trifecta

Postby shadow » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:01 am

Recruiting just hasn’t been up to snuff lately. Whether that’s losing DV or PM, I don’t know, but closing skill
on Top Tier has been lacking and I’m not buying the “We are not a blue blood” crap because Gonzaga was able to overcome that!
shadow

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:06 am

They overcame that because they’ve had more than a decade long success of making runs in March.

You’re such a dumbass and I really wish you’d stop posting on the board altogether.
bluejayfan00

Postby REALITY » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:38 am

Trifecta wrote:I hope he is more Martin and less Manny Suarez. Not talking about skillsets but rather impact. He definitely has raw skills and could be a nice project player in a couple of years, but it seems like a reach to me. But the chance of having a 6'9" that could potentially be the stretch 4 we've been lacking for a few seasons is intriguing. Nice looking shot, runs the floor well, seems decently athletic.

We've had a run of bad luck on our top targets, and now we are adding depth in case of emergency. Again, not saying it's bad but that it's a bit disappointing considering the prospects a couple of months ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have a great track record with players that the staff has brought in late to fill roster spots. Windham, Suarez, Cashaw, Paras, Albert, etc. I believe all were late additions.

Good points. I agree with pretty much all of this.
And you are correct on the late grabs we've made. I'd throw Kelvin in there too and say he was ultimately pretty good all things considered - easily the best on this list. I'd say Malik was better than the rest of this list, too. He was figuring things out at the end of the 15-16 season, scoring 8, 8, and 7 in less than 20 mpg against St. John's, Providence at the Dunk, and Xavier at Cintas. He transferred to D2 because he wanted more minutes (as he was behind Mo) and didn't want to sit out a season. I was a bit sad to see him go, actually. Had he decided to stick around, he may well have been the first option to replace Mo as opposed to Davion, freshman at the time. Maybe we end the regular season better than we did, hell, win our first round NCAA tournament game against a softer team than RI (we would have had a better seed with a stronger finish).
REALITY

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting