Hunter Sallis offered (Gonzaga Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Hunter Sallis offered

Postby jayball » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 am

Did you listen to the segment? http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp ... 164642.mp3

Jon was discussing how Creighton has done a great job getting in early with recruits and building relationships with underclassmen so they can try to compete with schools like Kansas. They then talked about how there appears to be a larger number of Nebraska HS recruits that are D1 quality. Jon then said something like "As a college basketball fan in the state, I want both programs to perform well, get more attention nationally, and build up more buzz locally for when they have showdowns or when they make runs in postseason....it would be cool to see these local kids playing for both sides and battling it out year after year. I think it would help grow the sport even more." Someone else then brought up CU's success for getting in early with even local recruits and how it played out with Patton. Now Nebraska is trying to do that more and there will be some battles in 2121 for local kids. Jon said to this point CU targets a local guy and they have gotten them. Does that tide turn I don't know? We may be two three years down the road and it might never happen. Cu has an identity and a system they recruit to. Its up to UNL to improve and strengthen its foothold in the city and develop some success stories to sell. CU has two really phenomenal stories to sell. ....the more attention to basketball we draw in this state the better, and if it means CU and UNL fans have to increase arguments at the watercooler then so be it. They talked about CU had won 7 years in a row and how there is alot of UNL fans that are eagerly awaiting the day when they might be able to win. Someone else said they better do it this year, b/c they thought they had a chance after McBuckets left and CU reloaded while UNL just tried to maintain. Jon said he's happy for Nebraska fans that they might have a team to look forward. Then a discussion of CU and UNL teams last year and this year.

It was a perfectly fine thoughtful and balanced conversation about basketball in HS, CU, UNL, and even a bit of Drake.

some of you guys have an antiOWH hard on that needs constant stroking or you whine. Jon does a nice job covering the Jays and seems to have a well rounded sports knowledge when I have heard him on various programs.
jayball

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am

Sure Jon covers the Jays and I like the job he does for us. However, he gets paid by the OWH so it's probably a requirement to give a shoutout to the corn on occasion. If he likes his job it's probably wise to do so even if not a written/verbal requirement. Jon's okay by me.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:41 am

I enjoy Jon's coverage - especially the variety in style of his stories. Keep up the good work JN!

Also, this 'having major D-1 talent in your backyard' thing is pretty nice. Hopefully the metro continues to pump out major players at the pace we've seen the last 3-4 years. Having a local pipeline of talent is key to sustained success.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Jays26 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am

jayball wrote:Did you listen to the segment? http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp ... 164642.mp3

Jon was discussing how Creighton has done a great job getting in early with recruits and building relationships with underclassmen so they can try to compete with schools like Kansas. They then talked about how there appears to be a larger number of Nebraska HS recruits that are D1 quality. Jon then said something like "As a college basketball fan in the state, I want both programs to perform well, get more attention nationally, and build up more buzz locally for when they have showdowns or when they make runs in postseason....it would be cool to see these local kids playing for both sides and battling it out year after year. I think it would help grow the sport even more." Someone else then brought up CU's success for getting in early with even local recruits and how it played out with Patton. Now Nebraska is trying to do that more and there will be some battles in 2121 for local kids. Jon said to this point CU targets a local guy and they have gotten them. Does that tide turn I don't know? We may be two three years down the road and it might never happen. Cu has an identity and a system they recruit to. Its up to UNL to improve and strengthen its foothold in the city and develop some success stories to sell. CU has two really phenomenal stories to sell. ....the more attention to basketball we draw in this state the better, and if it means CU and UNL fans have to increase arguments at the watercooler then so be it. They talked about CU had won 7 years in a row and how there is alot of UNL fans that are eagerly awaiting the day when they might be able to win. Someone else said they better do it this year, b/c they thought they had a chance after McBuckets left and CU reloaded while UNL just tried to maintain. Jon said he's happy for Nebraska fans that they might have a team to look forward. Then a discussion of CU and UNL teams last year and this year.

It was a perfectly fine thoughtful and balanced conversation about basketball in HS, CU, UNL, and even a bit of Drake.

some of you guys have an antiOWH hard on that needs constant stroking or you whine. Jon does a nice job covering the Jays and seems to have a well rounded sports knowledge when I have heard him on various programs.

Ha, I didn't listen to it but I figured he was bitching about nothing and had it wrong.
Jays26

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 am

Yep. I saw drbluejay's post and thought it sounded like he was hearing something he wanted to or was somehow missing the point of whatever Jon might have said, as Jon has done a nice job with his coverage, even if as part of the OWH. So I went and listened for myself. And walked away thinking, "yeah, he didn't really say he hopes that more of these kids pick UN over CU" -- at all. No surprise, really.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am

Jon is the only worthwhile writer on the OWH staff

He's a Purdue guy - so at worst - he might have a little big10 bias - but in my mind he's a pro and does a great job

it's too bad they are paywalling some of his stuff - cuz the OWH will never get another penny from me
cujaysfan

Postby Easypaddy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:57 pm

blueblood wrote:
fritzpointer wrote:Hunter has been offered by CU. 2021 G from Millard North. Go Jays!

Is this the same Hunter that posts on here? If so, I know him.

Yes I believe so!
Easypaddy

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 pm

jayball wrote:Did you listen to the segment? http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp ... 164642.mp3

Hi, I'm "someone else." Pretty good summary here. Mike Sautter and I both offered our thoughts on Hunter during that segment but it's pretty much everything I already posted here.
JacobPadilla

Postby drbluejay » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Jon Nyatawa quote; It would be cool to see these local kids playing for both sides (UNL & CU) and battling year after year.

My opinion is I don't think it would be cool if a local basketball recruit that CU offers, ends up going to UNL.
I do want UNL to succeed in basketball but not at CU's expense.

PS, UNL is loaded with quality seniors this year and playing at home vs Creighton.
It's either this year for the Huskers or look for CU to keep winning for many years to come as UNL's recent recruiting thru 2019 is not looking good for a power conference school.
drbluejay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 pm

drbluejay wrote:Jon Nyatawa quote; It would be cool to see these local kids playing for both sides (UNL & CU) and battling year after year.

My opinion is I don't think it would be cool if a local basketball recruit that CU offers, ends up going to UNL.
I do want UNL to succeed in basketball but not at CU's expense.

PS, UNL is loaded with quality seniors this year and playing at home vs Creighton.
It's either this year for the Huskers or look for CU to keep winning for many years to come as UNL's recent recruiting thru 2019 is not looking good for a power conference school.

He did not say anything about kids Creighton offered going to UNL - you just keep adding that to be all worked up about him for no reason. He said local kids. Nebraska offered Heinemann and Creighton didn’t. Creighton offered Patton and Nebraska didn’t. There can be local kids on both sides without anyone Creighton wants ever wearing red.
Outlaw_Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting