The next President

Return to Off Topic

Re: The next President

Postby BluejayMark » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:20 pm

vivid_dude wrote: One thing has to happen in 2020: Hillary and Bernie must stay away.

I am a conservative who voted for Trump, not because I thought he was a good candidate (I did not and still do not) but because Hillary is NOT and electable candidate. Both parties really need to reevaluate who they want to represent them in 2020; the American people where put into a no win scenario in 2016. If I had to re-vote again today between Trump and Hillary I'd vote Trump again, if it was Biden (or almost any other candidate) I'd vote Democrat for the first time in my life.
BluejayMark

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm

BluejayMark wrote:
vivid_dude wrote: One thing has to happen in 2020: Hillary and Bernie must stay away.

I am a conservative who voted for Trump, not because I thought he was a good candidate (I did not and still do not) but because Hillary is NOT and electable candidate. Both parties really need to reevaluate who they want to represent them in 2020; the American people where put into a no win scenario in 2016. If I had to re-vote again today between Trump and Hillary I'd vote Trump again, if it was Biden (or almost any other candidate) I'd vote Democrat for the first time in my life.

Fair. Hillary was bad. In my always humble opinion, it's completely reasonable to say "I voted for Trump because I couldn't vote for Hillary," even if I disagree that he was the better option. What I don't think is reasonable is to say he was a good candidate, nominee or President. "Lesser of two evils" is the only thing that is defensible, IMO.

Based on what I read today, it may be The Rock vs. Kid Rock.
vivid_dude

Postby OmahaBen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Trump: "The vote would have been pretty close to, if you look at it, 48 to 4. That’s a pretty impressive vote by any standard."

All you Republicans should be proud. Your party leader is pulling the "We're the best team ever if you just ignore every one else" card.

Are you sick of all your winning yet?
OmahaBen

Postby jays911 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 pm

OmahaBen wrote:Trump: "The vote would have been pretty close to, if you look at it, 48 to 4. That’s a pretty impressive vote by any standard."

All you Republicans should be proud. Your party leader is pulling the "We're the best team ever if you just ignore every one else" card.

Let it go. The lefties and the RINOs are engaged in (deliberate) gridlock.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby JaysLifer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:56 pm

jays911 wrote:
OmahaBen wrote:Trump: "The vote would have been pretty close to, if you look at it, 48 to 4. That’s a pretty impressive vote by any standard."

I guess deliberate gridlock is better than inadvertent gridlock. At least, then there's at least a purpose.

But what I really want to know is why you think they're responsible for the supposed gridlock. For starters, the GOP controls the executive and entire legislature. They've literally changed the rules of the game to help advance their agenda and they still can't get anything done. I don't see how that's the fault of the "lefties."

The GOP can't hold a private meeting with the stated objective of undercutting or reversing what is probably the single most uniting issue for the Democrats, explicitly exclude Dems from the process and refuse to entertain even the slightest appearance of compromise, and then cry foul about how the Democrats won't help. At least not with any shred of credibility or intellectual honesty.

And I suspect you were quite the cheerleader for Mitch McConnell back when he said that his "number one priority" was to make Obama a 1-term President. Maybe McConnell isn't the master tactitian he was touted to be, after all.
JaysLifer

Postby OmahaBen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 am

jays911 wrote:

Oh boo farking hoo. You control all 3 branches of government, and set this up so you'd only need 50 votes in the Senate to pass it, and you couldn't even do that.

And its rich for anyone on the right to complain about gridlock given what McConnell pulled with Garland. Not to mention the time he filibustered his own bill.

Suck it up, Nancy. Your party sucks at actually governing.
OmahaBen

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am

And when you say stuff like that, I just think, look how horrendous the Left must be at everything to lose this badly to the Keystone Kops.

Speaking of losing, you weren't on here when Ossoff was losing in a district that Trump took by 1.5%.
HandDownManDown

Postby mannygakou » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 am

HandDownManDown wrote:Speaking of losing, you weren't on here when Ossoff was losing in a district that Trump took by 1.5%.

Love how you fail to mention that just months before, Price won that district by over 23%.
mannygakou

Postby OmahaBen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 am

So you guys win, and it's the losing party's fault that you can't actually do anything?

Yeah, good luck selling that one.
OmahaBen

Postby JaysLifer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:36 am

HandDownManDown wrote:And when you say stuff like that, I just think, look how horrendous the Left must be at everything to lose this badly to the Keystone Kops.

Speaking of losing, you weren't on here when Ossoff was losing in a district that Trump took by 1.5%.

Mighty strong retort there. I'll leave the bad-by-comparison comment alone mostly because it makes no sense to say that the GOP isn't actually terrible at governing simply because they won a couple elections.

But I'm really confused about your Ossoff point. Bad math, bad logic. Ossoff was an upstart who didn't even reside in the Georgia 6th, and he was running as a Democrat in a district that had voted Republican in every election since the Carter era. Trump won that district by 23 points in '16, yet Ossoff lost by 4 points. Now, there's no such thing as moral victories, and it was surely a disappointment for the Dems to lose after pouring more money into that one open House seat than they'd ever done before, but I'm not sure the outcome puts any wind in the GOP's sails. That race was entirely about Pelosi vs. Trump; Pelosi dragged down Ossoff's numbers and Trump dragged down Handel's. If anything, the takeaway from that race is that Trump had already jeopardized 9.5 points a mere 5 months into his presidency. That shouldn't inspire much confidence for GOP heading into the 2018 midterms.
JaysLifer

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic