Global Warming

Return to Off Topic

Re: Global Warming

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 am

Vivid

What you don't understand about the Left is that they want a state of nature that Rousseau imagined. Humans only screw things up. But if they need a biotech drug, they are all for science.
AMDG
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am

Would it be possible to create a new forum called Political or something like that and move this thread and the Presidential thread into there? That way I can mark the forum as read and not have to open it at all.
TrueBlueJay

Postby bird_call » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 am

CU Final Four wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, If there was some regulation or policy that made the air cleaner that was free, would you endorse that?

There is a rule in physics and life that there is no free lunch in the universe. I reject your premise. I also note for every benefit obtained by regulation, there is a cost.

Funny, in my physics courses, I don't remember the free lunch law. I do remember the law of conservation of energy and momentum, and the second law of thermodynamics, but none of those laws are going to be violated by choices between sources of energy that pollute or don't pollute when we're really talking about cost-benefit analyses.

Just for the record, you reject the premise that there are any hypothetical policy or regulation choices that could improve air pollution and have no net costs to GDP, either here or in other poorer countries where pollution is far worse. Is that a fair assessment?
bird_call

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 pm

The First Law of Thermodynamics is the basis for the shorthand: There is no free lunch in the universe.

I don't accept your hypo. Let's use a practical example. Incandescent light bulbs were cheap. Somehow that got banned due to CAGW. No longer made in the USA. Plants closed. New light bulbs made in China. Higher costs to retail public. Lower labor costs for Phillips, GE. Higher profits for them and retailers like WMT. And for what tangible benefit? I say freedom of choice on light bulbs.

For every reg the EPA adopts, there is a cost. EPA asserts its regs benefit the public but it doesn't even try to measure the costs. Astounding.
AMDG
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:03 pm

What is astounding is that you can't be bothered to google "EPA cost benefit analysis." Sad and dumb.

https://www.epa.gov/clean-air-act-overv ... an-air-act
Durango Jay

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Durango Jay

I was referring to the EPA regs re carbon dioxide; not particulate pollution.

From the link, "In 2020, the Clean Air Act Amendments will prevent over 230,000 early deaths. Most of the economic benefits (about 85 percent) are attributable to reductions in premature mortality associated with reductions in ambient particulates." Benefits.

But what are the costs?

See also my post above regarding regarding the federal court judge in WVA and the EPA's refusal to detail the costs of its regulations.

Benefits and COSTS.
AMDG
CU Final Four

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 pm

So the cost would be what? About 230,000 lives? About half the population of Omaha. You're right. Totally not worth doing.
Durango Jay

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Would it be possible to create a new forum called Political or something like that and move this thread and the Presidential thread into there? That way I can mark the forum as read and not have to open it at all.

Out of curiosity, what forces you to open this thread at all if you are that opposed to it?

Not trying to be a dick. There are plenty of topics I have no interest in, so I don't open them. It couldn't be simpler.
vivid_dude

Postby CU Final Four » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am

Solar panels and windmills creates energy poverty. Coal is way cheaper and more reliable.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000594214
AMDG
CU Final Four

Postby bird_call » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 pm

CU Final Four wrote:Solar panels and windmills creates energy poverty. Coal is way cheaper and more reliable.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000594214

Hmmm. Let's watch a video by the CEO of a coal mining company talking up Trump's repeal of a rule to prohibit dumping coal mine tailings in waterways.

So you aren't willing to accept the possibility that regulations can make the country wealthier, but are willing to accept the gloating of a CEO of a coal corporation about how being 1000 feet below the surface somehow makes dumping coal mine tailings in below-surface waterways safe?

I understand confirmation bias is a thing, but you need to stop citing coal mining CEOs as credible resources on environmental regulations or energy policy. That's just doesn't pass the sniff test.
bird_call

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic