Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!
Post a reply

Re: NIL

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:49 pm

I hate that the NIL has turned college sports into semiprofessional sports. I hate how this has fueled transfers. There is no I in team until the portal is open.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:51 pm

Durango Jay wrote:I hate that the NIL has turned college sports into semiprofessional sports. I hate how this has fueled transfers. There is no I in team until the portal is open.

NIL isn't the issue, it's thr portal and ability to transfer every year. I'd rather see transfer restrictions implemented than NIL restrictions.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm

Would love to have a rule creating transparency on how much each team is spending.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm

Teams aren’t spending, their fans are spending. Collectives are a massive problem.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

bleedblue wrote:
Durango Jay wrote:I hate that the NIL has turned college sports into semiprofessional sports. I hate how this has fueled transfers. There is no I in team until the portal is open.

NIL isn't the issue, it's thr portal and ability to transfer every year. I'd rather see transfer restrictions implemented than NIL restrictions.

NIL is the issue. The transfer portal is a symptom.

If there isn’t money being thrown around, a majority of the transfers don’t happen.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:26 pm

At some point, when it becomes glorified free agency - if it isn't already - and players are hopping from school to school 2-4 times in their career, donors will not see their investment in NIL as having a good ROI. Spending six or seven figures for one kid, only to have him transfer from Auburn to Alabama or Ohio State to Michigan (or wherever) will get old real quick. That's another likely symptom of this unregulated, unstructured wild west disease. Donors will eventually stop donating. It's unsustainable.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:20 pm

LJay wrote:Teams aren’t spending, their fans are spending. Collectives are a massive problem.

To be more precise how much the collectives are spending.

I realize there is a difference between the school and the collective but to the best of my knowledge there are no multi school collectives.

And, I assume the coaching staffs are working closely with the collectives. If not, that would seem really weird.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 pm

The problem with a lot of these fixes is the entity that can fix them is the school itself and there’s no way they’re going out on any limbs to do so, because all that’ll do is put them at a competitive disadvantage. For example, why be transparent when such transparency will only be used against you?

There’s no sending back the genie.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm

I'm not sure greater transparency will work the way people expect either. Rather, it will basically be advertising for the schools that can pay the most: Come here, we pay the most!!! Here are our stats!

Fri May 03, 2024 8:43 am

Looks like the House case will create a future where colleges pay athletes directly a percentage of revenues;

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ources-say
Post a reply