2024 Offseason

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Offseason

Postby go_jays » Sun May 05, 2024 3:38 pm

Syajeulb wrote:
go_jays wrote:Need a link to see the entire thing... Otherwise, we are not even a "consistent" program in the 2020's????????

Far right on the Elite row.

It's getting cut off on my screen. Prolly resolution... although I'm at 1920 x 1280, so....

Anyway, that's awesome. Wonder if we'll move up to Kansas territory when we beat them on Dec 4...
go_jays

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri May 10, 2024 9:44 am

The Missouri State Bears are moving to Conference USA - must be a move for them to move up in football??
TrueBlueJay

Postby WBR Tom » Fri May 10, 2024 10:07 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:The Missouri State Bears are moving to Conference USA - must be a move for them to move up in football??

Yeah, that's the driving force, as it almost always is. They want to play FBS football. But the Valley's slow descent has to be hurting them in other sports too -- in MBB, 12 of the 16 players on the first, second or third team All-MVC squads either transferred out or graduated. All five members of the All-Newcomer team transferred out. Two of the five players on the All-Freshman team left. Everyone on the all-defensive team is gone. Five coaches either left or were fired. I hate to see what's become of such a proud league; it's a car wreck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... he_mvc_is/
WBR Tom

Postby LJay » Fri May 10, 2024 11:50 am

Stink Bears were rumored to be looking for a football move way back in the Creighton days. If they had that as a goal since this looks like a good move. Getting Cuanzo Martin back may have been predicated on a supposed move “up”.

Only about half the Valley left from the CU days? Drake and Bradley are the odd-ball private schools. Not sure what the move is for them but they must be putting out feelers.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jaybird » Fri May 10, 2024 2:10 pm

WBR Tom wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:The Missouri State Bears are moving to Conference USA - must be a move for them to move up in football??

Yeah, that's the driving force, as it almost always is. They want to play FBS football. But the Valley's slow descent has to be hurting them in other sports too -- in MBB, 12 of the 16 players on the first, second or third team All-MVC squads either transferred out or graduated. All five members of the All-Newcomer team transferred out. Two of the five players on the All-Freshman team left. Everyone on the all-defensive team is gone. Five coaches either left or were fired. I hate to see what's become of such a proud league; it's a car wreck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... he_mvc_is/

Looks like it's even worse than that--or, it got even worse since you posted four hours ago. Three of those 16 1st-2nd-3rd teamers are out of eligibility, but TWELVE have portaled. That leaves one guy still planning to come back, Duke Deen of Bradley. He must be thinking, "Damn, I'm gonna be King of the Valley next year. I'll be the DeVries of 2025"! Even the Titanic had more people hanging on to the bitter end.
Jaybird

Postby Duke1Agn » Sat May 11, 2024 9:04 am

The Valley is getting destroyed by realignment and unfortunately I don’t see it slowing down. Every top program is gone.

Creighton
Wichita State
Loyola
Missouri State

That’s essentially the top 4 programs in the MVC over the last 15 years. I suspect Drake will be next as there were some quiet rumors that the A10 was looking to expand its Midwest footprint. Drake was one of several schools mentioned as a possibility. Even if that doesn’t happen, they have to be looking to move somewhere with better stability.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby DC_JAY » Sat May 11, 2024 9:09 am

Good scoop by Jon at the OWH. Hope it's true. Wow

DC_JAY

Postby AttyAlum » Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 am

Damn, good thing I didn’t book that Bahamas trip yet!
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby alum84 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:31 am

Surprised we can just pull out of a tournament like that (Battle 4 Atlantis) so late. Not sure how I feel about it. Battle has complete ESPN converage. Does this one? It's a better field, perhaps, but not by much. Plus, Alabama is already on our schedule. Mac really loves Vegas, that's clear. :)
alum84

Postby DC_JAY » Sat May 11, 2024 9:33 am

Rumors as well that the 2024 NIL Tourney schools are signing three-year deals to participate. The tournament would likely expand in 2025 to include additional programs. Time will tell if this is another harbinger of college sports' demise, but regardless, it is huge for Creighton to be the only Big East program with a seat at the table.
DC_JAY

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops