Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Offseason

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm

Tough choices for Chicago.

Deep dish
Tavern style Pizza
Italian beef sandwich
Hot dog

All great choices that would be upper half.
cujaysfan

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 pm

cujaysfan wrote:Tough choices for Chicago.

Deep dish
Tavern style Pizza
Italian beef sandwich
Hot dog

Tavern Style. Italian Beef. Chicago Dog. Those three are legit choices.

Deep dish just isn't it if you are talking "signature" because it is not something anyone from Chicago actually eats.

At least they put that abomination that Cincy calls chili at the bottom, though.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 pm

cujaysfan wrote:Tough choices for Chicago.

Deep dish
Tavern style Pizza
Italian beef sandwich
Hot dog

Harold's Fried Chicken and Pork Chop Sandwiches/Polish sausage slotkowskis should be on the list also!
Chicagojayfan

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm

Realhoops wrote:
cujaysfan wrote:Now THIS kinda stuff is what the off-season used to be about. Plenty of room for debate except for X/Cincy. Nailed that one.

http://twitter.com/BigEastBarstool/stat ... qHMLQ&s=19

Zero credibility when putting deep dish over NY or CT pizza. And no way that should even BE considered CHI signature — it’s a tourist only thing.

As someone who lived a long time in the chi I can count on one hand the amount of times I had deep dish. Chicago bar pie is out pizza not that tourist crap
BenningtonBluejay

Postby Jay09 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm

Lived in Chicagoland area for 20 year—ate deep dish monthly—high school I had it like every weekend. To each their own-def not just a tourist thing
Jay09

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm

Jay09 wrote:Lived in Chicagoland area for 20 year—ate deep dish monthly—high school I had it like every weekend. To each their own-def not just a tourist thing

Def each their own but I think most Chicagoans can take it or leave it. At least that was my experience. Personally never was a fan
BenningtonBluejay

Postby LJay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

18 page 2024 Off-season thread. 65 page Creighton portal thread.

Our new normal.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 pm

So many thoughts.

I'm a Lou's lover. It's that sauce and the butter crust. So damn good. And Burt's and Peaquods are world class. I could eat those every day. But stuff like Geno's or Giordano's? If I never have again I won't care.

And I do love me some tavern pie. Aurelio's maybe being the chain that people might recognize as most of those places that make it are awesome neighborhood joints.

All pizza is good. Some are just better than others. And that said, I'm dying to try new haven someday as I haven't had it, yet.

And gun to my head I would probably choose Italian beef barely over hot dog as Chicago signature item.

And now I want a beef/combo and a dog. anywhere worthwhile to get those in Omaha?
cujaysfan

Postby SendDustyIn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm

Jay09 wrote:Lived in Chicagoland area for 20 year—ate deep dish monthly—high school I had it like every weekend. To each their own-def not just a tourist thing

In high school maybe. I sure as hell don't have that metabolism anymore. The issue with deep dish is all the planning. It's not a spur of the moment thing because it takes an hour to cook so you have to decide a bit in advance. Thin crust is easy because you can pick it up on the way home. Deep dish also highly dependent on the dough. If you're using a basic bread dough, it's going to be a flavorless mess.

An Italian Beef is the signature dish for Chicago though, but only with giardinara. You can basically put that shit on everything and it's great.

If someone offers you a shot of Malort, run.

EDIT -
cujaysfan wrote:Aurelio's maybe being the chain that people might recognize as most of those places that make it are awesome neighborhood joints.

Homewood ovens or bust.
SendDustyIn

Postby Kolder Fan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:31 pm

SendDustyIn wrote:

If someone offers you a shot of Malort, run.

EDIT -
cujaysfan wrote:Aurelio's maybe being the chain that people might recognize as most of those places that make it are awesome neighborhood joints.

Homewood ovens or bust.

I have been talked into the Malort shot while in Chicago on business - I will concur - it is literally the worst thing I have ever tasted.
Kolder Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops