St. John’s Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: St. John’s Game Thread II

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:35 pm

SeattleJay wrote:ESPN had us for 9, I would swear but their first half stats seemed a little wonky. We seemed to have 4 and 5team O boards on their site.

Or maybe I’m old and hallucinating.

Either quite possible.

No idea what was going on with ESPN - the stats were a mess there!

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadca ... slive=crei

The Stat broadcast is here though
Chicagojayfan

Postby OKBluejay » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:38 pm

Need to win Wednesday or the Jays probably won't finish higher than 4th.
OKBluejay

Postby Jaybird » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:50 pm

Casey Matthews may be a world-class video coordinator for all I know, but some of his post-game call-in show analyst takes are head-scratchers (assuming this is the same Casey Matthews).
Jaybird

Postby Angry Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:13 pm

OKBluejay wrote:24 assists and only 3 turnovers for SJU. Very impressive on their part. Those assist numbers are unusual for a Jays opponent (CU opponents have the 5th lowest assist % on made baskets in the country). That tells you that SJU wasn't just taking midrange shots because that is what the Jays were giving them...they were actually running offense to get a lot of those looks.

SJU had only 4 points off of their 12 2nd half offensive rebounds, but those rebounds hurt even though they didn't score off many of them. That led to long defensive possessions for the Jays when they were trying to scramble back from a double-digit deficit.

The Jays competed better in the 2nd half, but sometimes you can lose a game in the first half like they did today.

+1

Good post
Angry Dan

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:29 pm

OKBluejay wrote:24 assists and only 3 turnovers for SJU. Very impressive on their part. Those assist numbers are unusual for a Jays opponent (CU opponents have the 5th lowest assist % on made baskets in the country). That tells you that SJU wasn't just taking midrange shots because that is what the Jays were giving them...they were actually running offense to get a lot of those looks.

SJU had only 4 points off of their 12 2nd half offensive rebounds, but those rebounds hurt even though they didn't score off many of them. That led to long defensive possessions for the Jays when they were trying to scramble back from a double-digit deficit.

The Jays competed better in the 2nd half, but sometimes you can lose a game in the first half like they did today.

Great point about offensive rebounds and how often they scored off them.
SeattleJay

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:36 pm

Dingle and Jenkins were 20 of 31 on shots for 45 points
SeattleJay

Postby go_jays » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

Jays drop to 12 in Kenpom
go_jays

Postby 3ontheway » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:58 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Dingle and Jenkins were 20 of 31 on shots for 45 points

Yeah, they present some real problems with the ball screen and with Farabello getting almost 25 minutes on the floor, attempting to guard one or the other. Looking at both games against these guys, we have some bad matchups against them. Easily could have lost both games.
3ontheway

Postby DC_JAY » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:18 pm

Full credit to SJU. They hustled, made open shots, crashed the offensive boards, pressed to slow down the Jays, and forced turnovers.

Trey had a fantastic game and kept the Jays in it. But he was the only Jay who brought his "A" game. The 4 spot went AWOL again after performing so well against UConn. Scheierman is a hell of a competitor, but this might have been his worst game of the season, including some hard-to-believe turnovers at bad times. Kalk was solid on the defensive end but missed shots he normally makes.

The stats can be sliced and diced many ways, but bottom line is that when nearly half your shots are threes, and you only hit 23 percent of those, you better hope your opponent is also cold. St John's wasn't cold.

Now the Seton Hall game looms hugely. Don't let SJU beat you twice.
DC_JAY

Postby JayPak » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:44 pm

DC_JAY wrote:
Now the Seton Hall game looms hugely. Don't let SJU beat you twice.

Shouldn’t, since SHU is at home.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops