St. John’s Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: St. John’s Game Thread II

Postby wildjays » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:16 pm

Trey Alexander's 31 points were not enough as Creighton falls to St. John's.

Matt DeMarinis with the recap.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/trey-ale ... re-garden/
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:23 pm

Why not play Fred at the 4? For rebounding against teams that dominate the boards? We get very little scoring from the 4 anyway. Fred isnt playing, its not like we are saving him to spell Kalk.
Maybe I am wrong, but watching them get every O rebound was hard.
PhoenixBluejay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:26 pm

PhoenixBluejay wrote:Why not play Fred at the 4? For rebounding against teams that dominate the boards? We get very little scoring from the 4 anyway. Fred isnt playing, its not like we are saving him to spell Kalk.
Maybe I am wrong, but watching them get every O rebound was hard.

Is this sarcasm?

Traudt can't guard 4's. What do you think Fred would do? He's already a fouling machine. And offensively, where are you putting him? We already struggle getting downhill at times, it would clog everything up.
bluejayfan00

Postby wildjays » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:39 pm

The Bluejay Beat podcast from this one is posted up.

Matt DeMarinis and Jacob Padilla break it all down.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby drbluejay » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:25 am

Even though the numbers for Kalk weren't bad, I think Trey was the only one to show up in NY. It's hard to win when one guy has his "A" game, one has his "C" game and the rest of the team were either "D" or "F". I congratulate SJU.
drbluejay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:35 am

The pretty consistent narrative I've seen from all the Bluejay "pundits" about this one is that there is nothing that Creighton could have done about it.

Wednesday is a massive game -- Seton Hall will absolutely be coming in here to win and seize control of the top 3 seed in New York. And right now, I don't think Creighton wants to see UConn in NY as the #1 seed or St. John's as any seed. It's a shame, because before yesterday a 2 seed was a real possibility. Now it's more about trying to hold onto the 3 instead of slipping to the 4 and then hoping that St. John's doesn't end up in that spot to play the 3 seed on Thursday.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:26 am

In retrospect, I underestimated how difficult of a matchup they are for us. I thought we could overcome the typical BE road game whistles and challenges, but we weren't able to - at least not when shooting so poorly from 3 PT range (23%) and with Baylor having an off day

The game really emphasizes how much we need to control turnovers and offensive rebounds

- 6th worst rebounding game by % that we've had this season 45.3%. In those games we are 2-4
- We did a bit better in Turnovers, but while it was only our 12th worst game in Turnover% (12.7%),

those turnovers helped them to the lead in the first half and when we did play good enough D in the second half, the offensive boards they got killed us

Defense - 5th worst game of the year for us by Defensive Rating (115.9) (1-4 in those games)
- We were a bit better second half, but got smoked in the first half
Offense - 5th worst game of the year for us by Offensive Rating (95.7) (0-5 in those games)
- shot poorly and we didn't play through their bump and run D very well (except for Trey)
- By comparison we had 9 games at that level or worse last year and were 2-7 (but one was GT)

Individual stuff - Trey played really well
I thought Mac did a great job of going to the small ball lineup first half to give us a burst, but also thought he stayed with it FAR too long in the second half (my view on what led to many of the offensive boards). Miller and Green need to be involved more

Not the end of the world to drop one on the road when we beat them at home, but as others say, raises the stakes on the remaining games
Chicagojayfan

Postby SeattleJay » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:11 am

Great post Chicago Jay.

Having only watched SJU twice, it’s hard to understand how SJU doesn’t have a few more BE victories. Anyone have thoughts? I get that: a. They were hot, and b. Our defense is poorly designed for their offense (great midrange).

Should we have gone under screens and let them shoot more 3’s? Zone?

Personnel wise, I really strongly agree with more Green and Miller- less Bello at the 3. Better defense and rebounding.

I get that we were struggling against their defense and that is primarily why we played an extra ball handler.
SeattleJay

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:49 am

One note on the small ball lineup: as Matt alluded to on the podcast, Mason was under the weather yesterday and that limited his minutes in the second half (and likely overall). Not excusing anything, that's just the reality of it.

I agree they should have played Green in the second half, especially in a game where Bello was not giving them much of anything.
WBR Tom

Postby SeattleJay » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:52 am

WBR Tom wrote:One note on the small ball lineup: as Matt alluded to on the podcast, Mason was under the weather yesterday and that limited his minutes in the second half (and likely overall). Not excusing anything, that's just the reality of it.

I agree they should have played Green in the second half, especially in a game where Bello was not giving them much of anything.

I didn’t know Miller was sick. Thanks for the info.

Hopefully, he recovers quickly.

Listening to the podcast now
SeattleJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops