Return to Men's Hoops

St. John’s Game Thread II

Postby RVB » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:34 pm

#15 Creighton heads to Madison Square Garden for St. John’s game

https://gocreighton.com/news/2024/2/23/ ... -tilt.aspx
RVB

Re: St. John’s Game Thread II

Postby DC_JAY » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:44 pm

Not a must-win, but another great chance to nab a Quad 1 win on the road. Happy they are playing in MSG, as the crowd won't be as intense, and it's nice to get a game on that court before the BET.

This is a classic trap game setup. Hope the Jays avoid an upset here.
DC_JAY

Postby Realhoops » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:35 pm

DC_JAY wrote:Not a must-win, but another great chance to nab a Quad 1 win on the road. Happy they are playing in MSG, as the crowd won't be as intense, and it's nice to get a game on that court before the BET.

While I agree that it's not a "must win" in the true, deep, absolute sense, in my view it absolute is a must win in the sense that this team needs to keep things moving in the right direction and keep momentum going and not let up and lose to a team that is by all metrics not going to sniff the tournament. Coming off last week, the Jays have a legitimate shot at getting back into the top 10, moving into a projected top 3 seed, and having a shot at the 2 seed in New York. Turn around and blow this one and you take two steps backward on all of that. Add in that the Jays roster, at least in the starting 5, should basically be better at every single position and they can't afford to lose it.

Absolutely perfect timing for the fellas to go get a little practice at MSG.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby WBR Tom » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:53 am

Here’s the Pregame Primer for tomorrow over on WBR:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... -st-johns/
WBR Tom

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:25 am

We shot poorly in the first game at home against SJU. Let’s hope we are beyond that.

RDJ!
SeattleJay

Postby YankeesJunkie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 am

DC_JAY wrote:Not a must-win, but another great chance to nab a Quad 1 win on the road. Happy they are playing in MSG, as the crowd won't be as intense, and it's nice to get a game on that court before the BET.

Not a must win, but they if they do not win today, they could easily drop either or both of Seton Hall and Marquette. If Creighton wins out they or 3 of 4 they are in that #2/#3 and won't have to reface UCONN in the semis and probably lock up a three seed.

If Creighton can find a way to win out they should be in a good position for a #2 seed, but if they start dropping games they could slide back to a #5 seed.
YankeesJunkie

Postby jays911 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:05 am

Any idea why the line dropped so much? Down to Jays -2.5.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:06 am

YankeesJunkie wrote:

Not a must win, but they if they do not win today, they could easily drop either or both of Seton Hall and Marquette. If Creighton wins out they or 3 of 4 they are in that #2/#3 and won't have to reface UCONN in the semis and probably lock up a three seed.

If Creighton can find a way to win out they should be in a good position for a #2 seed, but if they start dropping games they could slide back to a #5 seed.

Good analysis, but I look at this as the kind of game where the team can prove that the improvement we've seen and the UConn game wasn't a fluke, but that this team has taken a step forward and can go on the road against a good team in a hostile environment and pick up a win

Best teams in the BE are finding a way to win on the road, I'm hopeful we'll do just that today as well
Chicagojayfan

Postby DC_JAY » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:24 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
YankeesJunkie wrote:

Good analysis, but I look at this as the kind of game where the team can prove that the improvement we've seen and the UConn game wasn't a fluke, but that this team has taken a step forward and can go on the road against a good team in a hostile environment and pick up a win

Best teams in the BE are finding a way to win on the road, I'm hopeful we'll do just that today as well

Completely agree. The Jays have been cooking lately, and even in their two most recent losses they still shot quite well. A great opportunity to underscore that they are a different team since that loss to UConn.

St. John's season is on the line today, though, and it's clear that Pitino didn't lose his team following his criticism.
DC_JAY

Postby TrueBlueJay » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:46 am

jays911 wrote:Any idea why the line dropped so much? Down to Jays -2.5.

I show it started at 2.5 - briefly went to 3.5 and then dropped back to 2.5. Not uncommon.
TrueBlueJay

Next

Return to Men's Hoops