Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UConn Game Thread II

Postby #RollJays » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am

SeattleJay wrote:
#RollJays wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Here is how I see the matchups:

1. Ashworth v Spencer: edge U Conn
Spencer is U Conn’s leading scorer and hitting 45% from 3. If SA gets hot, he can dominate a game and he is clutch

2. Alexander v Newton: Edge U Conn
Newton is the best player on the #1 team in the country and a lot of people think he is BE POY. Trey is very close in stats and is probably the best matchup in the BE for Newton (or Carter from Pc). Trey didn’t play well in the first game against Newton. Let’s hope he has a chip on his shoulder.

3. Baylor v Castle: Edge CU
Castle is full of potential. Possible first round NBA pick. Baylor is a finalist for the Wooden award and hot.

4. Miller v Karaban:: Edge U Conn
Caravan hits 40% from 3 and scores in double digits.

5. Kalk v Clingan/Johnson : Edge CU
Clingan averages a bit over 20 minutes a game. These are the 2 best centers in the BE. Kalk has experience, endurance, and strength advantage. Kalk doesn’t get in foul trouble.

6. Bench: Edge U Conn

I am looking to Trey and SA to have good games and outplay or neutralize their opponents on their home court. Baylor is on a roll. If Kalk gets touches (only had 5 shot attempts in the first game) we have a great chance.

Defend and rebound.

Fun fact… Tristan Newton is shooting .365 from the field in conf play.

Yes. He is a worse shooter than Trey.

Under 28% from 3 in conference.

I thought about making that one a tie but in the only head to head matchup, Newton shot and played better at home. Hopefully, some home cooking can get Trey to turn the tables.

Newton is a great player and adds a ton of value in all areas. I just think it would be a slap in the face to other guys like Devin Carter, Kolek and Baylor if Newton won POY shooting 36.5% from the field on a stacked roster.
Last edited by #RollJays on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#RollJays

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:28 am

If we do win I hope like hell we don’t storm the court.

I’m sure the students are just chomping at the bit but I don’t think there is a big enough gap between us and anyone else to merit that.
HandDownManDown

Postby T-bone » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:31 am

HandDownManDown wrote:If we do win I hope like hell we don’t storm the court.

I’m sure the students are just chomping at the bit but I don’t think there is a big enough gap between us and anyone else to merit that.

I don't think anything is going to keep them off the court if we win.
T-bone

Postby Jaybird » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am

Still 138 tickets for tonight just sitting on the Ath Dept's shelf, waiting for good homes, and an absolute steal at 25 bucks each. Come on, laggards!

Not you guys. You're not the laggards. It's the "I could just watch it on TV" and the "It's a school night" and the "I gotta work tomorrow" crowd. They're the laggards. I mean, c'mon, just how often do you get to see in person the defending nat'l champs--current #1 with every damn vote in both polls, get beat right in front of your eyes, and then you get to tell everybody for years, "yeah, I was there, and I yelled a lot. In fact, I think I made the difference on that buzzer-beater putback by Green" ? All for the cost of a Sortinos pizza and a beer. Don't transact with those bandits at ticketmaster. Go right to the source. Buy a damn ticket

And, Outlaw, couldn't agree with you more. The subtle (well, not subtle; in our faces) elitism pisses me off too.
Last edited by Jaybird on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaybird

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:57 am

If the public is looking for tickets they are probably checking TM - why would you not list them there??
TrueBlueJay

Postby go_jays » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:15 pm

RyanHolmgren wrote:Jays open as a 3-point dog.

In another thread, I talked about how the line always seems to line up with a formula I've been using based on Kenpom Adjusted Efficiency Margin. I computed it on Sunday and came up with somewhere between us being a 2 to 3 point dog this week. Been doing this for a month now and it's always been with a point or so of being the same as the Vegas line.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:19 pm

T-bone wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:If we do win I hope like hell we don’t storm the court.

I don't think anything is going to keep them off the court if we win.

Having never beaten a #1 ranked team, I think it would be pretty special. Not saying they should. But at the same time, it would be a huge milestone for the program.
go_jays

Postby Jaybird » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:34 pm

go_jays wrote:
RyanHolmgren wrote:Jays open as a 3-point dog.

In another thread, I talked about how the line always seems to line up with a formula I've been using based on Kenpom Adjusted Efficiency Margin. I computed it on Sunday and came up with somewhere between us being a 2 to 3 point dog this week. Been doing this for a month now and it's always been with a point or so of being the same as the Vegas line.

Well, good for you.
Jaybird

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:02 pm

Newton is a great player and adds a ton of value in all areas. I just think it would be a slap in the face to other guys like Devin Carter, Kolek and Baylor if Newton won POY shooting 36.5% from the field on a stacked roster.[/quote]

I don’t think Newton is the BE POY, but a lot of people on the east coast think he is. I may have been too terse or subtle in my prior comment.

I certainly hope Trey has a great game and dominates Newton. It is definitely quite possible
SeattleJay

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:04 pm

People also forget that this is a college team for college kids. As much as we support it with fandom and money, this program is not for us, it’s for the students. You can’t tell me if similar situation happened when you were in school you wouldn’t want to storm the court
BenningtonBluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops