UConn Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UConn Game Thread II

Postby JayPak » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:47 pm

BenningtonBluejay wrote:People also forget that this is a college team for college kids. As much as we support it with fandom and money, this program is not for us, it’s for the students. You can’t tell me if similar situation happened when you were in school you wouldn’t want to storm the court

Went to CU during Rick Johnson. I wanted to storm the court if we kept the Fusker game under a 30-point loss.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Creighton77 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:53 pm

go_jays wrote:
T-bone wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:If we do win I hope like hell we don’t storm the court.

I’m sure the students are just chomping at the bit but I don’t think there is a big enough gap between us and anyone else to merit that.

I don't think anything is going to keep them off the court if we win.

Having never beaten a #1 ranked team, I think it would be pretty special. Not saying they should. But at the same time, it would be a huge milestone for the program.

I don't think anyone who knows basketball would consider a Jays win tonight a mind-blowing upset - but at the same time, UConn is in every way a blue blood & a deserving #1. I wouldn't expect the students to act like we've been there before if we win. We haven't. But sure hope that changes tonight. LFG!
Creighton77

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm

I see no problem for students storming the court for a win over a #1 team....although I do think its ridiculous when teams beat top 5 teams and that happens.

The 'skers got their chance earlier this season against a far less potent team than UConn, its our time to shine!
skinzfan23

Postby #RollJays » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm

Feels like UConn's fan base would enjoy the satisfaction of being put on a pedestal like that with us storming the court. What are we 6-2 vs them since joining the league? Let the kids have their fun but this is a very winnable game.
#RollJays

Postby RyanHolmgren » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:02 pm

What is with the obsession with putting such strict restrictions on when students can storm a court? We’re the underdog (according to Vegas) and not only is UConn the unanimous #1 team in the country but we’ve never beaten a top-ranked opponent. Oh, and UConn is the defending national champion, riding a 14-game winning streak that includes kicking our ass.

It’s not like we’d be storming the court after beating Nebraska. If we get the win, let the kids have their fun. And be thankful they’re showing up after so many years of poor student section attendance.
RyanHolmgren

Postby omajay » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:28 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:I see no problem for students storming the court for a win over a #1 team....although I do think its ridiculous when teams beat top 5 teams and that happens.

The 'skers got their chance earlier this season against a far less potent team than UConn, its our time to shine!

This assumes the students stick around for the whole game. Lately, they've been leaving in droves as early as halftime. I have even seen large numbers of students leaving in the second half when the game is essentially tied. I don't get it. Why stand in line 90 minutes before tip only to leave with 10 or more minutes left and the game's outcome undecided.
omajay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm

I won't venture a prediction on the game other than to say that we've been playing well. If we can block out and minimize turnovers it should be a really good game. We are good enough to beat a team like UConn on the right night, but when playing a team that's been that consistently good this year, it takes some luck and a good night
Chicagojayfan

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:49 pm

I’ll say it: the big 4 are all on a higher plain than they were earlier in the season. And Clingan is foul prone, and Newton suddenly can’t make baskets.

Karaban vs Miller is the problem. That’s a big ‘them’ in the us vs. them matchup.

The bench comparison isn’t our bench vs. their bench, it’s our starting 5 (6?) and their extra minutes versus their bench. And I give that advantage to us.

ESPN has us at 57.1 percent and that’s about what I think our chances are.
HandDownManDown

Postby #RollJays » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:00 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:I won't venture a prediction on the game other than to say that we've been playing well. If we can block out and minimize turnovers it should be a really good game. We are good enough to beat a team like UConn on the right night, but when playing a team that's been that consistently good this year, it takes some luck and a good night

If we could avoid giving them an extra 3-6 free throws on 3 pointers where they flop after unnaturally extending their leg that would be great as well. Newton is notorious for that. He is 3rd in the conference for free throw attempts despite being on 21st in scoring. Baylor and Trey are 4th & 5th in scoring but only 21st and 25th in free throw attempts. Take away the flop game and make them make shots.
#RollJays

Postby jays34 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:04 pm

These last few years, with the lofty preseason rankings, everyone came at us hard, particularly in the non-con. Last year it took a six game losing string (and some pencillin) to get that fight back. We took a few lumps this year too, but seem to have it grooving now. I like going in as the proverbial underdog. Exactly what this team needs to put it all together, play with some passion and play with some purpose.

I really like how we're playing lately. Great timing for this home game. Trey is back (and has been for awhile), Ashworth is becoming (or has become?) part of the big 4, Baylor is at the literal top of his game and Kalk has dominated in spots where we needed him to dominate (feed him the rock!). This spot couldn't be better for what will be one of the best games we play this season.
jays34

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops