Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Coach Mac

Postby Trifecta » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:01 pm

To quote from the movie Moneyball

"It's not about the money. It's what the money says - that you're worth it."
Trifecta

Postby Here'sToMe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm

But what is the fan base willing to give up in order to make Mac one of the 10-15 highest-paid coaches in the country? Every coach in the current top 15 is at a school buttressed by football dollars (or a TV contract primarily driven by football programming). The uncomfortable reality is that Big East basketball isn't that big of a draw and Fox probably tapped out its programming budget on Big Ten football negotiations. I'd be stunned if the Athletic Department wasn't at least marginally concerned about what the next TV deal is going to look like.

So are fans going to riot when the long-rumored lower-bowl seat reconfiguration happens? Or when Jaybacker contribution levels are increased? It's one thing to say that "Creighton should be paying X". It's another to work out the debits and credits and see how that number can be reached.
Here'sToMe

Postby NUgradCUfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:50 pm

Here'sToMe wrote:But what is the fan base willing to give up in order to make Mac one of the 10-15 highest-paid coaches in the country? Every coach in the current top 15 is at a school buttressed by football dollars (or a TV contract primarily driven by football programming). The uncomfortable reality is that Big East basketball isn't that big of a draw and Fox probably tapped out its programming budget on Big Ten football negotiations. I'd be stunned if the Athletic Department wasn't at least marginally concerned about what the next TV deal is going to look like.

So are fans going to riot when the long-rumored lower-bowl seat reconfiguration happens? Or when Jaybacker contribution levels are increased? It's one thing to say that "Creighton should be paying X". It's another to work out the debits and credits and see how that number can be reached.

Someone just start a GoFundMe for the University. I'll donate.

Edit: Specifically for Mac's salary. Not a general donation. I don't trust this admin with my cash.
Last edited by NUgradCUfan on Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUgradCUfan

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm

Here'sToMe wrote:But what is the fan base willing to give up in order to make Mac one of the 10-15 highest-paid coaches in the country? Every coach in the current top 15 is at a school buttressed by football dollars (or a TV contract primarily driven by football programming). The uncomfortable reality is that Big East basketball isn't that big of a draw and Fox probably tapped out its programming budget on Big Ten football negotiations. I'd be stunned if the Athletic Department wasn't at least marginally concerned about what the next TV deal is going to look like.

Big boy basketball comes with a cost. You do what you have to make it work
BenningtonBluejay

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm

It's actually a much bigger problem for UConn.

Their situation is unsustainable.
cujaysfan

Postby omajay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:54 pm

I don't know that we need to make Mac one of the top 10-15 highest paid coaches in college BB. But, I would think he should be near the top of the BE. Per 2022 tax records, Mac made $2.3 million in 2022. Cooley made $3.6 million for the same year. Willard made $2.6 million for Seton Hall. Providence has a similar undergrad enrollment as CU; Seton Hall is a little higher. Obviously, our ticket sales are higher than all of the BE schools. Realistically, if Mac were to leave, I bet we'd have to pay a new (experienced) coach an equal or higher salary. If we hired a mid-major coach such as D'Rock or say Huss, they obviously wouldn't get an equal salary.
omajay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:46 pm

Goodman and Dauster both agreed today that Sean Miller should be the #1 call for OSU. Said OSU should make him say no. Mentioned Nate Oats and TJ Otzelberger have too big have of a buyout, so you can probably cross them out. Goodman mentioned Mac will get brought up, but said he isn't sure if they should do that at this point in his career, and if Mac does leave it'll be somewhere with "warmer weather". Dusty May and Lamont Paris names also mentioned.

Mentioned Sean Miller may have a hard time accepting because X probably has better NIL right now than OSU. And doesn't have to keep up with football. Goodman said OSU has one of the worst home court advantages in the Big Ten.
bluejayfan00

Postby sdebole059 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:00 pm

where’s there’s smoke, there’s fire yalll!

Enjoy the rest of the season.

It’s the Last Dance
sdebole059

Postby sdebole059 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:02 pm

and there was an espn+ article about OSU and Mac was the first name to be listed in it. Go check it out. Everything is going great!
sdebole059

Postby jpinkham3 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:33 pm

sdebole059 wrote:where’s there’s smoke, there’s fire yalll!

Enjoy the rest of the season.

It’s the Last Dance

Follow me on Twitter: @BluejayBuff
jpinkham3

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops