Georgetown Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Georgetown Game Thread II

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:17 am

I don’t know if anyone has been paying attention but the bubble area this year is garbage. There’s a big fall off from the 5 seed line to the 8. We’d have to lose almost all of them to get there, because even two wins here on out would be the type of wins that help.

If we fall that far we have a lot more problems than our seed line.
HandDownManDown

Postby dollarbeernight » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:27 am

NUgradCUfan wrote:
dollarbeernight wrote:I have been going to games for 50 years and was there tonight. The game was well in hand in the second half. This head coaching job has always been better than its inhabitant (aside from horrible AD's who had other agendas --might have that now. IDK?) EITHER GREG IS LEAVING OR HIS BENCH IS LEAVING AT THE END OF THIS SEASON. I don't claim to know which it will be but it is obvious at this point.

Can you elaborate? Cuz this post is rough to follow. You’re thinking Mac is leaving because the bench didn’t play significantly more minutes the 2nd half? What?

There is a lot of uncertainty about the roster next year. We've been riding our starters hard; and the second half was a rare opportunity to give some rest and develop the future. Mac didn't really do that until he had to (our under-sized starting point guard was injured during mop up time). This sends a signal that there's not much concern for the future here. That's all.
dollarbeernight

Postby LJay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:32 am

Reality has a second userID.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby drbluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:42 am

Super night for Baylor getting CU's first triple double in 39 years but Trey wins my standout player of the game award.
Baylor wins the game ball as he is the do it all guy that doesn't come along very often.
drbluejay

Postby RyanHolmgren » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:46 am

@dollarbeernight: These are just unhinged takes. What would you like Mac to do? Play King more to see if it will take him three minutes or four until he fouls out? It’s abundantly clear that our starters – especially our Big 3 plus Ashworth – are miles ahead of the bench. They’re well-conditioned to play heavy minutes.

Mac has clearly shown a willingness to play guys who EARN minutes. Green has found his way into the lineup, for instance. Farabello continues to get minutes. Traudt gets opportunities. King squandered his. Lawson hasn’t earned them. Dotzler isn’t quite there yet. (I do like his upside.)

In the Big East, we can’t just bring in a bunch of bench guys for feel-good minutes so their future seems brighter to you. Those few minutes often end in an 8-0 run against us, which is more than enough to lose games.

Who knows how many more years Mac has in him at CU, but he’s absolutely not leaving because of bench guys who can’t crack the lineup. We’ll likely have roster turnover this offseason, as will every Division I program in this portal era. Mac is on the cusp of being the winningest coach in school history. He’s led us to a Big East regular season title (and a likely 2 seed in 2020), a Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. The only quest I have is how many dollar beer night ales did you consume to come to the conclusion that Mac isn’t good enough for the CU coaching job?
RyanHolmgren

Postby SDJay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:47 am

Cooley in post game presser:
"Creighton would've beat the Celtics today", and a little later, bemoaning his teams defensive woes, "It was almost like they were playing 5 on zero on offense"
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby drbluejay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:51 am

I have to laugh every time someone says to stop shooting 3's when that's what this team is built on. The one thing I'd say to a shooter who's missing shots is to keep on shooting open shots. I would never tell a good shooter to stop shooting 3's just because he missed a few.
drbluejay

Postby NUgradCUfan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:55 am

dollarbeernight wrote:
NUgradCUfan wrote:
dollarbeernight wrote:I have been going to games for 50 years and was there tonight. The game was well in hand in the second half. This head coaching job has always been better than its inhabitant (aside from horrible AD's who had other agendas --might have that now. IDK?) EITHER GREG IS LEAVING OR HIS BENCH IS LEAVING AT THE END OF THIS SEASON. I don't claim to know which it will be but it is obvious at this point.

Can you elaborate? Cuz this post is rough to follow. You’re thinking Mac is leaving because the bench didn’t play significantly more minutes the 2nd half? What?

There is a lot of uncertainty about the roster next year. We've been riding our starters hard; and the second half was a rare opportunity to give some rest and develop the future. Mac didn't really do that until he had to (our under-sized starting point guard was injured during mop up time). This sends a signal that there's not much concern for the future here. That's all.

I think it's pretty obvious we're riding our starters hard because we have to. Bench actually did well last night too, though. Too many $1 beers?
NUgradCUfan

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:09 am

Let me get my tin foil hat on.
TrueBlueJay

Postby Altmanforprez » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 am

The biggest concern I have with Mac leaving for Ohio State (should Holtmann be fired) has less to do with his situation at Creighton and everything to do with the fact Doug is back at the Pacers. I know Mac loves Creighton and Omaha, but his kids have graduated and gone their own paths and Columbus to Indy is a quick drive to watch Doug play.

I have zero insider information, but just my thought process. Get a bag to coach for a few years and watch your son play the end of his NBA career is pretty logical and I could see Mac doing that. The good news is we have a lot of good, young options with Creighton connections. We’ve seen in the Big East that losing a star coach isn’t a death sentence to the bottom of the league.

Regardless, I’m going to enjoy this season and hope for another run in the tourney and worry about off-season speculation once the final buzzer sounds. (Just don’t pull a Cooley if you leave, Mac)
Altmanforprez

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops