Xavier Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Xavier Game Thread II

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:39 pm

JMO but I see no way Fred doesn’t get Reefed. His opinion on the situation won’t matter.
HandDownManDown

Postby #RollJays » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:57 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:JMO but I see no way Fred doesn’t get Reefed. His opinion on the situation won’t matter.

Yep especially with the possibility of Kalk coming back.
#RollJays

Postby jays34 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:00 pm

I guess I'm totally in the dark here, but what happened to king? He's always been prone to a few silly fouls or being out of position on D, but he still played some. Now not at all. What changed?
jays34

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:05 pm

Probably won’t matter. He can’t start and probably can’t back up either. And we already have a project big.

Whether we target a replacement for Ryan or a Kelvin Jones type depends on Kalk’s decision, but the days of a mostly non-playable upper classman taking up a slot on a top 25 team is over. It’s definitely over here, because if you won’t keep a good soldier like Reef who obviously (at first) thought his return was his choice but found out that it wasn’t, you won’t keep any player.
HandDownManDown

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:11 pm

jays34 wrote:I guess I'm totally in the dark here, but what happened to king? He's always been prone to a few silly fouls or being out of position on D, but he still played some. Now not at all. What changed?

The league uses him as a foul machine when he comes in, and that’s when he’s actually close to the spot where he should be, which he often isn’t. He’s late and can’t just physically dominate people on size; the Iowa game was an aberration because their post was a MVC shooter type big and not someone with both size and down low skill.

Even Bishop wouldn’t sugar coat it on air whenever he came in. His last few games he’d be like, ‘well, King checking in, we will see how this goes’ and then when the inevitable miscue and/or foul occurred he’d say ‘and that right there is what plagues Fred, he struggles to be in the right spot and often just has to foul’.

I’ve never heard him do that to a CU player on a broadcast before but I often end up listening to the games and he did it every time for the last three weeks when Fred was in the rotation.
HandDownManDown

Postby Realhoops » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:35 pm

jays34 wrote:I guess I'm totally in the dark here, but what happened to king? He's always been prone to a few silly fouls or being out of position on D, but he still played some. Now not at all. What changed?

Our games have become situations where virtually every single possession matters. A lot of that is on the starters not being able to put things away, etc. But it means that two or three consecutive totally empty / negative possessions in a row can be the difference. And for the last couple months every time King checks in it is immediately just that — and we can’t afford it. So Mac seems to have abandoned it to see if going with Traudt there might help, which also gets Green on the floor and maybe starts setting some things up for next year.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby D Jay Fan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:10 pm

I thought it was encouraging that Baylor asked for a break. Mac always said (even in past years), they will tell me when they need a blow. Well, I don't think they always do. Baylor missed a 3, had a tough dive on defense and realized the tv timeout was coming up. So it was a good time to go out. Unfortunately, Kalk was getting a break and it wasn't a strong defensive 5. He struggles with his 3 point shot in the last 10 minutes of the game -a lot of times he won't even take the open 3- and a brief rest is something he should ask for more.

I hope Green and Traudt are getting more minutes because they deserve them from practice. Because I hope Traudt is making the open 3 in practice.
D Jay Fan

Postby jays911 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:34 pm

Watched the game again. Two and a half times now. If it had been officiated correctly, Jays win by twenty. Think I’m kidding, Watch the over the back call on Green. But that is life on the road in the Big East. Go Jays!
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby #RollJays » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:24 pm

jays911 wrote:Watched the game again. Two and a half times now. If it had been officiated correctly, Jays win by twenty. Think I’m kidding, Watch the over the back call on Green. But that is life on the road in the Big East. Go Jays!

https://x.com/bluejaymbb/status/1756509 ... Ni2J0SHApg
#RollJays

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:17 pm

bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops