Xavier Game Thread II

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Xavier Game Thread II

Postby 3ontheway » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:22 pm

#RollJays wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:Every time one of our non-Big 6 players step on the floor we are in danger. They might do something good, or the danger doesn’t manifest itself, but we are indeed in danger of the tide turning immediately. And why wouldn’t it be like that? If you’re an opposing player and one of them comes in, you’re thinking, SOUP IS ON!

It’s the same thing the league did to Clement when he came in for Mo, I think at one point there were 4 straight sub-ins where Clement gave up an and-1 within 10 seconds of checking in. If you shouldn’t be playing then you can’t be out there. Period.

It took too long with Mac not understanding that with Fred and he needs to realize that now (and maybe he does after this). The whole game flipped on putting two guys who aren’t ready on the floor at the same time.

When we beg for our rotation to get a rest on here we are begging for the other team to hit us with a quick 5-6 point run.

The key is finding a spot 2-3 minutes of clock time once or twice a game for Baylor, Trey, and Kalk preferably on the front and back end of a MTO where we sub for one of them, not 2 of them. I think that could pay dividends down the stretch and lead to a fresher team in the last 5 minutes of games.
3ontheway

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:26 pm

3ontheway wrote:
#RollJays wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:Every time one of our non-Big 6 players step on the floor we are in danger. They might do something good, or the danger doesn’t manifest itself, but we are indeed in danger of the tide turning immediately. And why wouldn’t it be like that? If you’re an opposing player and one of them comes in, you’re thinking, SOUP IS ON!

It’s the same thing the league did to Clement when he came in for Mo, I think at one point there were 4 straight sub-ins where Clement gave up an and-1 within 10 seconds of checking in. If you shouldn’t be playing then you can’t be out there. Period.

It took too long with Mac not understanding that with Fred and he needs to realize that now (and maybe he does after this). The whole game flipped on putting two guys who aren’t ready on the floor at the same time.

When we beg for our rotation to get a rest on here we are begging for the other team to hit us with a quick 5-6 point run.

The key is finding a spot 2-3 minutes of clock time once or twice a game for Baylor, Trey, and Kalk preferably on the front and back end of a MTO where we sub for one of them, not 2 of them. I think that could pay dividends down the stretch and lead to a fresher team in the last 5 minutes of games.

I personally think Issac should be behind green at this point. He provides very little that miller/baylor already do . Green provides athleticism and toughness. I’m fine with green on tbd floor with 4 starters. Issac and king have kinda hit a brick wall and they are not providing much.
Jaysfan100

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:28 pm

3ontheway wrote:
#RollJays wrote:

No.

What I’d rather see is Mac use a TO or two to get guys a blow. If you’re up 20 you should never be in a position to need them.

Freaking take a full TO at the 6 minute mark of the first half and the 10 minute mark of the second and let everyone sit for three minutes.
HandDownManDown

Postby OKBluejay » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:46 pm

Green's minutes will probably depend on matchups from here on out. His brief appearance in the 2nd half guarding Desmond Claude didn't turn out well. He is probably better off guarding bigger 4s or smaller 5s, rather than wing players. I'm sure Mac wasn't intending that matchup to happen (especially with Kalk out of the game), but there weren't many options when Baylor asked out of the game.
OKBluejay

Postby #RollJays » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:47 pm

3ontheway wrote:
#RollJays wrote:

If you take one of the big 4 out, it’s a run for the other team. The last 5 min today was Xavier playing super aggressive and us being timid.
#RollJays

Postby bird_call » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:42 pm

Good win.

Would be good if Coach Mac would figure out how to get a few minutes out of the bench one of these years, but he seems to be calcifying in his reliance on starters over time.
bird_call

Postby OKBluejay » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:43 pm

Great bounce-back game for Kalk...28 pts, 7 reb, 4 blk, protected the rim, and X's bigs did essentially nothing.
OKBluejay

Postby Venturajay » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:58 pm

Nice win, better D.
Venturajay

Postby Realhoops » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:29 pm

bird_call wrote:Good win.

Would be good if Coach Mac would figure out how to get a few minutes out of the bench one of these years, but he seems to be calcifying in his reliance on starters over time.

To be fair, he is "calcifying” based on the complete meltdown that happens on the floor almost the very second he doesn’t. When your games constantly come down to one or two possessions you can’t waste any with what the bench is giving now. Wish he could, but that’s the reality. It’s as much or more on the players than him at this point.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:32 pm

OKBluejay wrote:Green's minutes will probably depend on matchups from here on out. His brief appearance in the 2nd half guarding Desmond Claude didn't turn out well. He is probably better off guarding bigger 4s or smaller 5s, rather than wing players. I'm sure Mac wasn't intending that matchup to happen (especially with Kalk out of the game), but there weren't many options when Baylor asked out of the game.

I think you're right that today he probably didn't want to have them both in right then, but with Baylor needing a blow, it just happened

In the first half he played them separately at different times, I think IIRC?. And they both did some good things in the short time they were out there.

I think playing Traudt at the 5 and Green at all at the 4 is a newer thing for the team, and we probably have to adjust the D quite a bit given that we can't really do the same drop coverage, and Green hasn't played D with anyone else on the floor outside of practice much

Sad that it isn't working for King, but Traudt playing the 5 and working Green in as a 4 and maybe part time 5 may be the best option for the team this year and going into next year.
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops