Seton Hall Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Seton Hall Game Thread

Postby go_jays » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:15 pm

So, regarding the officiating... I wonder if they weren't a little intimidated by the fanbase. A lot of whistle swallowing going on during this game. The no-call when Ashworth got completely hammered at the rim in one of the OTs was simply astonishing.
go_jays

Postby OKBluejay » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:17 pm

Seton Hall has some experienced ballers, but they are not nearly as skilled or athletic as UConn. However, this is still progress compared to when the Jays were flustered by mediocre (CSU, Nova) or bad (UNLV) defensive teams. Hopefully they can carry the momentum forward. Xavier is better than their record, and the Jays only have 2 days off before they play them. Thankfully, the next 3 games are in Omaha.
OKBluejay

Postby Realhoops » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:21 pm

go_jays wrote:So, regarding the officiating... I wonder if they weren't a little intimidated by the fanbase. A lot of whistle swallowing going on during this game. The no-call when Ashworth got completely hammered at the rim in one of the OTs was simply astonishing.

That was the end of regulation. The game never should have gone to OT because he should have gotten a free throw to win it in regulation.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby skinzfan23 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:30 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Kadary Richmond coming off two BE player of the week awards, was 8 for 32 from the floor.

I think it was mostly Trey guarding him. Of course, it helps to have Kalk at your back.

That’s crazy he only scored 21 points on 32 shot attempts
skinzfan23

Postby jays911 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:32 pm

SeattleJay wrote:The only other 3 OT game was 1978 in the Civic.

I vaguely remember it. I think we lost to a highly ranked DePaul team with Mark Aguirre.

Correct. Then we beat Bird and Indy State to win the Valley. Got sent to Wichita in the dance, and got matched up against DePaul. I was at both games.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby DC_JAY » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:34 pm

Some plays that really stand out...

* 13:03, 2nd Half -- Jays are down 48-39. All momentum with Seton Hall. The game is just about out of reach when Ashworth hits a huge three to cut into the lead and spark a 13-3 Jays run.

* 00:03, 2nd Half -- Jays are down by two when Ashworth makes a layup to tie the game, despite being badly fouled. Game goes to OT.

* 3:06, 3rd OT -- Jays are down 88-83 after somehow allowing Seton Hall to send the game to a third OT a few minutes earlier.
The crowd is frothing. Miller misses a three, but Baylor gets the offensive rebound and draws a foul while shooting. He makes both FTs to cut the deficit to a manageable three points.

* 00:52, 3rd OT -- Jays down by one. Trey hits a jump shot to gain the lead for the first time in the third OT.

* 00:29, 3rd OT -- Kalk sets a screen, and Trey curls around for an open three, which he hits in rhythm to put the Jays up for good.

What a game!
DC_JAY

Postby WBR Tom » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:26 pm

Here's the WBR Postgame Recap, filed early today because the toddler cooperated by taking a nap so Dad could write! :lol:

https://whiteandbluereview.com/postgame ... mes-97-94/
WBR Tom

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:52 pm

If it’s been mentioned my apologies, but during the radio broadcast Bishop yelled out YOU SUCK as loud as he could as the referees ran by after one of the no-calls.
HandDownManDown

Postby SeattleJay » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:26 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:If it’s been mentioned my apologies, but during the radio broadcast Bishop yelled out YOU SUCK as loud as he could as the referees ran by after one of the no-calls.

Didn’t know that. Hilarious and awesome!
SeattleJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:07 pm

No time to write much (too many weekend errands!), but a couple of things that jump out for me:

- Most physical game we've played this year, and a win
- Refs let them play exactly the kind of game they wanted (similar to how they beat UConn at home by a healthy margin). They blew calls for both sides, but the bulk of the non-calls or odd calls benefited SH. They were awful
- Is this the first game where we missed most 3's in the first half but kept at it and hit them later?

Most impressive game by the team this year, IMO. We've played better, but we've never battled harder and tougher than this one
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops