UConn Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: UConn Game Thread

Postby cufan10 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:07 pm

Rebounding and threes. They clearly wanted it way more on the boards, piss poor effort there. I am beyond tired of seeing bricked three after bricked three for a supposedly good three point shooting team.
cufan10

Postby SeattleJay » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:07 pm

GWJay wrote:Won't matter, but UCONN just ran 10 seconds off the clock. What the hell is that?

Home cookin
SeattleJay

Re: UConn Game Th

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:08 pm

Many of those offensive boards were simply lazy or no box out - something we seemed to have taken to heart to correct after the Marquette debacle. Really no excuse for that at this point in the season. Seton Hall will do the same thing if the guys don’t make up their mind to not let it happen again. This is the Big East for goodness sakes.

Showed better at the end, but UConn took the air out of the ball once they were up 20’ish
cu8493

Postby cufan10 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:09 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
GWJay wrote:Won't matter, but UCONN just ran 10 seconds off the clock. What the hell is that?

Home cookin

Yep, that and poor awareness by the refs. They were checked out at that point.
cufan10

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Can’t blame them. By that point they are probably thinking, I bet I can catch an earlier flight. Nothing I do here is going to change the outcome.
cu8493

Postby 3ontheway » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:47 pm

Kalk and SA played well. Baylor had athletic wings rotating in and out denying passing lanes and playing in his jersey all night. Trey had a sleepy game on both ends and MM chucked up bricks and we got nothing from the 2nd 5.

Credit them for scrapping after getting down 26 I think? They could've lost by 35 but they played pretty good D all night, horrific rebounding though.

When it's 10 or 11 athletes against our 5, or 6 with FF getting some run, and 3 of our 5 have below average nights (putting it kindly), you get a blowout. Regroup and work on setting some damn screens. We consistently get way less out of ball screens than our opponents do for whatever reason(s). It's tough to watch us get hounded all night and hardly ever gain some space with ball screening. We stink at it.
3ontheway

Postby LJay » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:35 pm

section221jay wrote:I'll echo the kudos for Ashworth. I wish he'd be willing to jump stop and take a shot in the lane on occasion.

So tired of our guards driving to a stop 5 or so feet from the basket with no plan what to do next but the opponent sure as hell knows they aren’t going to put up a shot. Frustrating.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby sdebole059 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:40 pm

Staff needs to start emphasizing Athleticism and Straight Dawgs. There are no elite athletes on the is team. The upcoming class has one great athlete that can create his own shot and drive to the lane. Stop trying to go all in on shooting
sdebole059

Postby REALITY » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:10 pm

sdebole059 wrote:Staff needs to start emphasizing Athleticism and Straight Dawgs. There are no elite athletes on the is team. The upcoming class has one great athlete that can create his own shot and drive to the lane. Stop trying to go all in on shooting

You asked for more 6' guards who are billed as great shooters but don't shoot well here, right? :lol:
To be fair to the staff it seems they were trying to strike a better balance in terms of shooting than the last 2 years teams that didn't have the shooting but had good athleticism. That said, I think it's also reasonable to point out that replacing R2 and Kaluma with Miller, Traudt, and Ashworth should have been foreseen by the Coaches as a major step down in terms of athleticism. It's unfortunate Lawson hasn't panned out and Green isn't ready yet.
Next year's roster should prioritize an athletic wing and point that can drive to the basket to manufacture offense. It also appears we will need a higher caliber center to replace Kalk when he's gone than King is.
REALITY

Postby wildjays » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:37 am

Creighton ran into a fired up crowd and a UConn defense that gave the Jays fits.

Matt DeMarinis and Jacob Padilla break it down in the Bluejay Beat podcast. Available to our Patreon subscribers.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops