St. John's Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: St. John's Game Thread

Postby DC_JAY » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:02 pm

Felt like this was a crucial game to win in order to keep pace with the league leaders. Last year's team excelled by winning ugly games. Happy this squad got this one.
DC_JAY

Postby Realhoops » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:33 pm

DC_JAY wrote:Felt like this was a crucial game to win in order to keep pace with the league leaders. Last year's team excelled by winning ugly games. Happy this squad got this one.

This was a crucial game to win because we can't afford to lose more at home. Road games are tough to win. And we have two of the toughest in a row right after this one.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby #RollJays » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:00 pm

There is so much more physicality allowed in our games compared to games around the country. Every big east game vs similar level opponents are reffed like we are playing San Diego State. They stopped drives with extended arms and grabbing so much. Luckily, Baylor played football in high school.
#RollJays

Postby REALITY » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:38 pm

I second all the frustration of how physical our opponents are allowed to be. So sad that "Freedom of Movement" is dead these days. Meanwhile, Johnnies fans on the Holy Land Board are whining about the number of fouls called on them :lol:
REALITY

Postby dollarbeernight » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm

I was at the game. St. Johns has poor defensive awareness in transition. We had many open looks in the first half that simply didn't fall. This game should have been a slightly uncomfortable 12 point win. Kalk had to play way too many minutes and it showed some down the stretch. Nice gutsy win in a style that we don't like. Looked more like last year. This was a HOT team and we beat them down the stretch in game style that favored them. This game might be a turning point in toughness. We will beat these guys in NY because we really had an off night shooting.
dollarbeernight

Postby Jaybird » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm

The St.John's board is hilarious. Fifty pages (maybe more by now) of offseason Yankees fans trying to stay in prime bitching shape. "Creighton always gets treated like Duke by the refs in this league (they REALLY hate Duke over there); "We (Johnnies) got a call and hell just froze over" and "We're tougher than these whining crybabies". And it goes on and on. The consensus seems to be that the crowd stole the game today (haven't heard that much lately), but they're gonna show us next month at MSG.

There was also a comment about how Omahans are the people who come to NYC at Christmastime and stand in the middle of the sidewalk gawking at the Rock Center Christmas tree. "You just wanna body slam 'em". (Geez, even their fans are foul-prone). It's nice having St. John's fans back to caring about St. John's again, instead of all those years of apathy but, man, they almost sound like Wichita fans.
Jaybird

Postby jays911 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Your posts are often unintentionally hilarious (like calling out FF today), but you are spot on about the Johnnie’s board. Now 54 pages of how the refs jobbed them today.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby Jaybird » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:00 pm

jays911 wrote:Your posts are often unintentionally hilarious (like calling out FF today), but you are spot on about the Johnnie’s board. Now 54 pages of how the refs jobbed them today.

Bello read it somehow and, chastened, promptly made a play. I provided a service. No need to thank me, but you're welcome anyway.
Jaybird

Postby BBfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:46 pm

How was the crowd today? Did the coaches need to encourage the fans get loud?
BBfan

Postby vivid_dude » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm

Weird. Two fanbases watch the same game and both think the refs screwed their team over, which is logically impossible. Both believe the other fanbase is crazy for thinking the opposite of them. This has happened quite a few times this year.

Even I got caught up in it this game. There were some shocking no calls involving Trey, but it evened out in the end.

Great win. Every Big East victory is. Looking forward to the next week!
vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops