Re: St. John's Game Thread

Postby jays911 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:06 pm

3ontheway wrote:Nice gutsy win.

The guys needed this.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby 3ontheway » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:06 pm

And we got away with a foul in the last second. It wasn't the refs. They let us play physical too.
3ontheway

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:36 pm

3ontheway wrote:And we got away with a foul in the last second. It wasn't the refs. They let us play physical too.

No way the refs would step in and make that call on that last play for any team at home (and mostly they wouldn't be calling it on the road either), and while they let us play physical the number of uncalled fouls against SJU was a much bigger number than against us.

Give Pitino credit, he saw where things were going at half time and went out and decided to make it ugly and they dared the refs to make the calls and they just didn't call all of them. Much bigger advantage for them, IMO (although we added to it with shaky FT shooting)

But, we won ugly, and winning ugly is something teams need to do in the BE, and ugly wins are still a win

FWIW, the first win of the year where we shot < 30% from 3 PT range (a LOT lower at 22.2% today) . We've lost the other 3 so far
Chicagojayfan

Postby 3ontheway » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:51 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
3ontheway wrote:And we got away with a foul in the last second. It wasn't the refs. They let us play physical too.

No way the refs would step in and make that call on that last play for any team at home (and mostly they wouldn't be calling it on the road either), and while they let us play physical the number of uncalled fouls against SJU was a much bigger number than against us.

Give Pitino credit, he saw where things were going at half time and went out and decided to make it ugly and they dared the refs to make the calls and they just didn't call all of them. Much bigger advantage for them, IMO (although we added to it with shaky FT shooting)

But, we won ugly, and winning ugly is something teams need to do in the BE, and ugly wins are still a win

FWIW, the first win of the year where we shot < 30% from 3 PT range (a LOT lower at 22.2% today) . We've lost the other 3 so far

If we had lost, it wouldn't have been because of the refs. If that's your take, we can agree to disagree.

They got whistled for a lot of fouls and we won the game because of FTs and going to the hoop in the last 5 minutes and not jacking 3's. Yes, they played very physical, so do a lot of teams (Providence plays this way, Marquette does, Butler has, and St. John's always seems to play like this). Maybe that's good defense? There is a way to make teams pay for playing that way and it took us 30 minutes today to figure out how.
3ontheway

Postby Realhoops » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:55 pm

3ontheway wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

If we had lost, it wouldn't have been because of the refs. If that's your take, we can agree to disagree.

They got whistled for a lot of fouls and we won the game because of FTs and going to the hoop in the last 5 minutes and not jacking 3's. Yes, they played very physical, so do a lot of teams (Providence plays this way, Marquette does, Butler has, and St. John's always seems to play like this). Maybe that's good defense? There is a way to make teams pay for playing that way and it took us 30 minutes today to figure out how.

If your take was that the officials weren't a factor that heavily favored SJU in this game, we can agree to disagree. Yeah, they got called for a lot of fouls. But they committed a whole heck of a lot more. There were very few situations where we clearly fouled and they ignored it -- there were a ton the other way. And especially in the first half, they refused to call fouls when there were multiple SJU fouls nearly every single possession. So not calling a questionable one at the buzzer (Bello was actually pretty straight up and Jenkins kicked out) doesn't somehow magically mean that the officiating was just fine and dandy. It was bad. All day.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby anotherjayfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:55 pm

Watched the replay several times. Not a foul on Farabello at the end.

But my main thought watching this is Trey's getting shut down in big games. 3 of 14 FGs. Need him to be the man in those moments if we're going to win in March.
anotherjayfan

Postby Realhoops » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:00 pm

anotherjayfan wrote:Watched the replay several times. Not a foul on Farabello at the end.

But my main thought watching this is Trey's getting shut down in big games. 3 of 14 FGs. Need him to be the man in those moments if we're going to win in March.

Baylor ended up with some numbers today. But I thought Trey and Baylor both were generally not very good today, honestly on either end. Trey went under a couple of screens and gave up threes, was having trouble staying in front of his guy all day; Baylor was having trouble staying in front or getting a hand up when his guy got in the lane to pull up. Neither was good most of the day on offense, including taking some really terrible shots to try to force something to happen.

But big credit to both of them for big plays late. Baylor got some really tough buckets inside in the second half when we needed them, Trey hit really big free throws with the game on the line after being unable to make anything for most of the game.

And Kalk struggled at the line but him some key ones when we needed them.

I don't care at all about Soriano's final numbers and whether he got his usual double double -- Kalk absolutely schooled him all day today, except for those few plays early in the second half where he contested the guard and allowed the dump off to get Soriano going a bit.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops