Georgetown Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Georgetown Game Thread

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:51 pm

It’s just so strange because some guys are open for a look and then they make the extra pass and because of that we turn the ball over
skinzfan23

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:52 pm

I mean, what players have exceeded expectations? Or played up to what we all thought they would/could/ or we've seen?

Baylor, that's it. Trey has had moments, but he's been terribly inconsistent.

Kalkbrenner has not been the same player this year and I don't care what anyone who constantly carries his water says. He's not above criticism.

Ashworth has been awful. He's a smaller Zierden, no offense to Zierden.

The bench has been meh. Looked super deep against the scrubs early in the year, then competition leveled up and they've largely disappeared.

Mac hasn't been good, either. It's fair to question if we caught lightning in a bottle last year, but that roster was significantly more talented. This roster doesn't have the dudes. And I'm tired of hearing his "make shot/miss shot" BS. That's an excuse to not try to do anything, ANYTHING different. And the comment another poster said he made about turnovers, did he really say that?! If so, that's ridiculous. They look like the Freshman B team trying to take care of the ball against a Varsity team.
bluejayfan00

Postby alum84 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:52 pm

I'm not as down on the team as some on here, but my Lord, what has happened to Trey's decision-making??? That last possession, instead of holding it for the last shot, he once again tries to force it into Kalk. I'm impressed with Baylor the last few games....he's playing like the experienced 5th year senior. I'm not sure about anybody else. Miller has his moments, but if he has to put the ball on the floor, it's going to be a TO.

All of that being said, I think we'll clean this up in the second half and then handle Providence at home.
alum84

Postby section221jay » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:53 pm

LJay wrote:Trey has played himself out of the NBA draft and into a bench role in Bulgaria. He ain’t no point guard.

The good news is he should be back next year. The bad news is if he doesn't have a couple guys like Nembard and Kaluma on the court with him he will be mediocre again.
section221jay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:55 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:It’s just so strange because some guys are open for a look and then they make the extra pass and because of that we turn the ball over

I see a lot of this also - we ran a nice play for Baylor, he drove to the basket and may have had a shot, but kicked it to Bello, who had a shot, but passed it up and IMO threw it back out

What did Altman used to say "Simple Plays Fellas"
Chicagojayfan

Postby section221jay » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:55 pm

alum84 wrote:I'm not as down on the team as some on here, but my Lord, what has happened to Trey's decision-making??? That last possession, instead of holding it for the last shot, he once again tries to force it into Kalk. I'm impressed with Baylor the last few games....he's playing like the experienced 5th year senior. I'm not sure about anybody else. Miller has his moments, but if he has to put the ball on the floor, it's going to be a TO.

All of that being said, I think we'll clean this up in the second half and then handle Providence at home.

It's scary to think how bad this team would be without Baylor.
section221jay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:55 pm

section221jay wrote:
LJay wrote:Trey has played himself out of the NBA draft and into a bench role in Bulgaria. He ain’t no point guard.

The good news is he should be back next year. The bad news is if he doesn't have a couple guys like Nembard and Kaluma on the court with him he will be mediocre again.

If you think he's back next year regardless of what the feedback is, I have some news for you
bluejayfan00

Postby D Jay Fan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:56 pm

Trey can't enjoy film sessions lately. The number of shooters he has open just to drive aimlessly into the lane for a turnover. Mac must be demanding Trey get the ball to Kalk. Unfortunately post passes aren't in his skill set
D Jay Fan

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:59 pm

D Jay Fan wrote:Trey can't enjoy film sessions lately. The number of shooters he has open just to drive aimlessly into the lane for a turnover. Mac must be demanding Trey get the ball to Kalk. Unfortunately post passes aren't in his skill set

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if there has been little or no rough film sessions for anyone. I mean the things we see as problems are getting worse and worse and it doesn’t look like anyone is even being told to improve let alone forced to work on any of it. And Mac actually said in the pregame interview when asked about turnovers that they didn’t make that something to really work on because they didn’t want to make it worse by focusing on it.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby section221jay » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:59 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
section221jay wrote:

If you think he's back next year regardless of what the feedback is, I have some news for you

It was a little tongue in cheek...I certainly don't expect him back next year. As bad as he's been thinking about this team without him, Baylor and Kalk is interesting...there is nobody on the roster currently that you can say "next!". Anyway, that's a concern for later obviously. THIS squad needs to figure something out soon.
section221jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops