Marquette Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Marquette Game Thread

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm

I agree he shouldn't play if we're in a position to win. But if we're not, what do we have to lose by playing Dotzler -- and, to a lesser extent, Jasen Green?
Jaysker12

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:17 pm

You are asking a totally different question. The point is just that Mac will play Ashworth and Bello. And saying Bello wasn’t good against Nova also doesn’t matter — Mac trusts him and will play him regardless of what anyone on here thinks.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:30 pm

WBR Tom

Postby omajay » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:35 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:You are asking a totally different question. The point is just that Mac will play Ashworth and Bello. And saying Bello wasn’t good against Nova also doesn’t matter — Mac trusts him and will play him regardless of what anyone on here thinks.

Bello should be playing ahead of Dotzler. Bello has had a solid year overall. No one looked particularly good vs. Nova. So, I am not sure why people are singling out Fran. We've only seen Dotzler in mop up duty so I don't think we can form any strong opinions. If we are going to extend the bench, I'd like to see Lawson ahead of Dotzler, especially when the 3s are not falling for the starters.
omajay

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:12 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:You are asking a totally different question. The point is just that Mac will play Ashworth and Bello. And saying Bello wasn’t good against Nova also doesn’t matter — Mac trusts him and will play him regardless of what anyone on here thinks.

i acknowledge that, it's more of a big picture question. The second half against Nova was extremely discouraging and I'm worried it's going to be more of the same tomorrow. If that's the case and things continue to go south...I think it's fair to ask whether the freshmen should get some run to give us a different look. Ultimately I trust the coaches to know what rotations win us the most games.

And I disagree that Lawson should be off the bench before Dotzler...Lawson provides next to nothing besides shooting, which this team already has in spades.
Jaysker12

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:59 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:

i acknowledge that, it's more of a big picture question. The second half against Nova was extremely discouraging and I'm worried it's going to be more of the same tomorrow. If that's the case and things continue to go south...I think it's fair to ask whether the freshmen should get some run to give us a different look. Ultimately I trust the coaches to know what rotations win us the most games.

And I disagree that Lawson should be off the bench before Dotzler...Lawson provides next to nothing besides shooting, which this team already has in spades.

Maybe. But for a team that’s supposedly so good at it there have been quite a few games already where it wasn’t there.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Jaysfan100 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:35 pm

Dotzler is getting to much “back up QB” love. He’s not playing for a reason and his play against central M showed why. I’m not against getting him on the floor as a 2. But not at point. Him turning it over 5 times against a bad CM team will lead to him getting eaten alive against the big East.

Plus again Jason Green helps us more being a big body defender and rebounder down low. We saw him against Alabama come in and have a hustle put back basket and good defense in his limited action. Yes IT and Mason are shooting well. But I’m not against going big with Trey at point in games against scrappy big East teams.
Jaysfan100

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:36 pm

CU getting 4 points in the early odds.

The question I have is pretty much the same question I had for the Nova game. Can Kalk guard their bigs? These are a different breed from Dixon but I think will still give Kalk fits.
TrueBlueJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:18 am

Jaysfan100 wrote:Dotzler is getting to much “back up QB” love. He’s not playing for a reason and his play against central M showed why. I’m not against getting him on the floor as a 2. But not at point. Him turning it over 5 times against a bad CM team will lead to him getting eaten alive against the big East.

Plus again Jason Green helps us more being a big body defender and rebounder down low. We saw him against Alabama come in and have a hustle put back basket and good defense in his limited action. Yes IT and Mason are shooting well. But I’m not against going big with Trey at point in games against scrappy big East teams.

I wouldn't say him turning it over 5 times against CMU shows why he isn't playing and proves that he'd turn it over a ton in every game he'd play in. It's one game for a very young player.

That being said, I think it's more that he's just dealing with making the difficult transition from high school to high-level college ball and everything that entails. Some handle that better than others. He just has to keep learning and becoming more comfortable with everything Mac asks his players to do.
JacobPadilla

Postby Jaybird » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:08 am

Creighton's streak of being a gameday favorite ends today at a pretty remarkable 32. Last time we were a dog was January 11 at Xavier. +2 1/2; lost by 3. Last season at Marquette, the Jays were a 3 point dog and lost by 11 (the last of our 6-game losing skid).
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops