Marquette Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Marquette Game Thread

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:21 pm

Angry Dan wrote:We couldn’t get the ball in to Kalk, so he can’t get fouled. We also don’t penetrate much, another way to get fouled.

Marquette knows how to stay in front of the players that they guard too.

Kalk did nothing with the ball when we did get it to him. He missed layups, got swatted or stripped, was unable to actually make any move or go up with it, etc. And he isn’t shooting well from the free throw line this year even when he can get there.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby ictjay » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Miller has made a couple of buckets off the dribble last 2 games. Needs to be a earlier option in the offense.
ictjay

Postby Angry Dan » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:27 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
Angry Dan wrote:We couldn’t get the ball in to Kalk, so he can’t get fouled. We also don’t penetrate much, another way to get fouled.

Kalk did nothing with the ball when we did get it to him. He missed layups, got swatted or stripped, was unable to actually make any move or go up with it, etc. And he isn’t shooting well from the free throw line this year even when he can get there.

I agree, but his touches were way down, especially the second half.

On sort of good note, Kolek was only 5 of 13 and Oso was 2 of 10
Angry Dan

Postby taa71458 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:44 pm

Angry Dan wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:

I agree, but his touches were way down, especially the second half.

On sort of good note, Kolek was only 5 of 13 and Oso was 2 of 10

He had plenty of opportunities to touch the ball on defense with Marquette’s 43 misses but only touched the ball twice there.
taa71458

Postby #RollJays » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:41 pm

sdebole059 wrote:So we lost cause of the refs. Horrible take

That wasn’t my take at all. I pointed how the way more aggressive team got called for fewer fouls and how being the team that doesn’t foul doesn’t help you. Literally every game we lose is because we are out toughed by the other team. Nobody in their right mind thinks Creighton committed over double the fouls of the other team in that game. The refs let you foul way too much in college to play the way we play and consistently win at the highest level.
#RollJays

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:50 am

Trifecta wrote:We desperately need a true PG. Trey could do it if we had another reliable wing/combo scorer alongside him. But instead, we have two combo guards with limited size and athleticism.

And we need to get Kalk the ball more, but he can't keep fumbling it away or missing bunnies.

I agree we need to get the ball to Kalk more but without a PG, it's tough, as we had 3 shot clock violations and a couple more shots at the buzzer. We also need to get a few more rebounds from Kalk as 3 rebounds from a 7 footer doesn't cut it.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:38 am

I give my standout player of the game to Baylor with Miller the only other player that stood out to me.
The only thing I want for New years is for Dotzler to improve enough in practice to see more floor time.
Dotzler is the only true point guard on this team and we need him to get better in a hurry.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:43 am

The officials didn't give up 18 offensive rebounds so I don't blame them. Very rarely do I think officials cost us or anyone else games.
drbluejay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:55 am

A. Nobody is going to make a living betting on good, but not great teams winning on the road against top 10 teams. If that's the measure of where our fans think we should be then we are all in trouble. Our Kenpom went up 1 after the game, IIRC, so this is hardly a surprising outcome

B. Turnovers and those offensive rebounds killed us - Our TS%/EFG% for the game was 57.9%/56.4%, theirs was 47.6%/43.4%

C. Refs didn't give up the offensive rebounds, but by both not calling fouls on MU and calling a much higher percentage on us, they changed the way the game was played - allowed to be played on both sides with us allowed to do less in how we played and that doesn't include the 10 pt differential at the FT line

D. Defensively, this was the worst offensive home game for Marquette all year and about the 3rd worst offensive game they had all year. To me it looked like they still got too many shots at the rim, and while it was unfortunate that the guys we decided to put as a low priority on the defensive game plan hit the shots, we still had a pretty good defensive performance overall

E. Offensively, we scored well against them, and better than most teams who've played them on their own court. As I noted we scored very effectively against them, but the turnovers and offensive rebounds limited our shots. We had chances, but just didn't do a good enough job of taking advantage

I go back a lot to what Jacob said a few days ago:

"Things I'd like to see to make the team less reliant on 3-point shot variance:
— Get Kalkbrenner more block touches (he basically didn't touch the ball at all in that last 10 minutes against Villanova except for the one time he got fouled)
— More off-ball movement on block and paint touches; obviously spacing the floor is important, but too often guys just stand on the arc and miss chances to cut to the basket to give the team easier options to score"

Kalk's has to be more aggressive in asserting himself on both ends, especially on offense, and the team needs to work harder on getting him the ball. Want to even out fouls a bit more - force the ball into the paint

Beyond that, it's not a popular position on here, but we need Ashworth to hit his shots and earn his playing time. Playing Bello 20 minutes a game is playing not to lose more than playing to win. His Turnover rates/assist rates are both worse than what Ashworth brings and tends to slow down our offense in a variety of ways. We need Ashworth to make shots and to assert himself into the offense

And I think Miller's showing us what he can do - we need to do more to get him involved. He's earning more trust from the staff and deserves more chances/usage on the court

Fortunately, we have a couple of upcoming games to get things right. GT seems like a good team to start to win some BE games and this will be the second real road game for Providence this year.
Chicagojayfan

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:20 am

Last year, U Conn finished tied for fourth in the conference and still won a national championship. This is a tough league.

Hopefully, this MU game will make us better. Tough loss.
SeattleJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops