Return to Men's Hoops

Villanova Game Thread

Postby RVB » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:03 am

#12 Creighton opens BIG EAST play Wednesday night vs. Villanova

https://gocreighton.com/news/2023/12/18 ... anova.aspx
RVB

Re: Villanova Game Thread

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:41 am

Will be interesting to see how we play Dixon. Kalk has always had a tough time guarding him around the 3 point line.
TrueBlueJay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:47 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:Will be interesting to see how we play Dixon. Kalk has always had a tough time guarding him around the 3 point line.

Dixon went off in Omaha last year. That’s the only time he’s really had a great game against Kalk. And that was the scheme — Mac was keeping Kalk in the lane — more than Kalk being unable to guard him out there.

I think the Bama game showed us Kalk is going to turn it up as our competition goes up now. Hope that ankle is good to go.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby 3ontheway » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:52 am

I wonder if Baylor will be assigned to Dixon?
3ontheway

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:34 am

3ontheway wrote:I wonder if Baylor will be assigned to Dixon?

Dixon would seem like a tough matchup for Baylor, as Dixon's a strong guy in the paint as well and can throw around smaller players. But if he goes crazy like he did in that one game against us I'm sure Mac will switch it up a lot faster this time

We also have Traudt who has some size and can mix it up in the paint as well. Against NU, Mac switched things up a bit and had Traudt on Mast for a while so he could keep Kalkbrenner in the paint more, IIRC

FWIW, Dixon's taking about the same number of 3 PT shots overall as he did last year, making roughly the same number, and all of his stats are pretty close to the same overall (a bit more rebounding, but maybe just due to OOC schedule strength, but otherwise pretty amazingly close to what we saw last year from him)

He did take 5 3PT shots this year against Texas Tech (made 2), but is averaging around 3, so it's definitely in his arsenal still
Chicagojayfan

Postby SeattleJay » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:43 am

Does anyone know if Justin Moore is playing tomorrow? He sprained his knee about 2 weeks ago.
SeattleJay

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:47 am

Against UNL we had Baylor on Mast most of the game.
TrueBlueJay

Postby LJay » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:04 pm

Height-wise, Baylor and Dixon are both listed at 6’7. Weight-wise, Baylor and Traudt have the size to bang with Dixon. The issue is Nova rolls out multiple shooters so who does Kalk guard in that scenario?

Looking forward to seeing the chess pieces Mac deploys.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:11 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Against UNL we had Baylor on Mast most of the game.

thanks - for some reason I remembered seeing Traudt doing that, but forgot Mac switched it to Baylor to start the game

My only concern with Dixon is that he's stronger than Mast and a guy who can throw people around in the paint quite a bit, and who knows what other shooters they'll have on the game.

Mac and the coaches gets to earn their paychecks this week :)
Chicagojayfan

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:09 pm

Can’t imagine a world in which he wouldn’t have Kalk on Dixon when he is in the post. The switch at UNL was really to counter Mast on the perimeter and then Kalk was guarding Allick when he came into the lane.

Novas roster is such that they have a number of wing type guys and Dixon. Kalk will be on Dixon and / or staying in the lane.
Outlaw_Wales

Next

Return to Men's Hoops