TrueBlueJay wrote:I’m seeing Creighton -5

I’ve got Jays -7.5. I have no idea why.
JayPharmAlum

Re: Alabama Game Thread

Postby WBR Tom » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:55 am

WBR Tom

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:21 am

This game will tell us a whole lot about whether there is justifiable concern about our ceiling or whether those two Mountain West losses were just the perfect combo of things going wrong.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Jaysfan100 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:29 am

In terms of teams played and talent . Creighton is by far the better team and “should “ win. But as we saw with CO state and UNLV, being better doesn’t mean anything. Jays need to play there game. Home court advantage and more talent . Instead of roll bama let’s roll bama.

Go jays
Jaysfan100

Postby Gojays1512 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:50 am

The fact that we are -7.5 in this game needs to silence the over-reactors. Point spreads are not determined by emotion, I can promise you that.

The fact of the matter is the Jays are a great basketball team with flaws limiting them from being truly elite. 3-6 seed incoming in the tournament with all postseason goals truly on the table. Jays may win be 25 tonight and this whole board will flip their tone. I’ll remain level headed and just root for continuous improvement.
Gojays1512

Postby Altmanforprez » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:08 am

We’re a good basketball team, period. The issue this team has is it can’t win games in a grinder like it has the last couple of seasons, but this team is still working out some kinks.

Today does feel like a pretty big game, need a non-conference win better than a road win over a middle of the pack Big 10 team. I think the guys will come ready to play, Jays by 10.
Altmanforprez

Postby go_jays » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:12 pm

Some thought on this game...

Have not seen Alabama play. So I don't know how "intense" there defensive efforts have been. But according to Kenpom, Bama is ranked as the 90th best defense. So it doesn't appear that they would be likely to bring the type of intensity that others, like CSU and UNLV, have brought to their games with us. Plus, for those teams, as one poster put it... we are their Super Bowl to some extent. For 'Bama, not such much I would imagine.

This bodes well for us. Our history has always been that teams willing to extend their defensive perimeter and get up in our face have given us the most trouble, and can really take us out of our rhythm/comfort zone.

Still, how our defense can handle their offense will likely determine this game. Because when you look at us and our trends, our defense really does have a tendency to initiate our offense and get us into those "runs" we are really good at.

The book on this game would be that it will be high scoring. But, it seems at least, that whoever can take the other team out of their rhythm will likely prevail. Which could be the reasoning for the -7.5.
go_jays

Postby Jaybird » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:44 pm

Jaysfan100 wrote:In terms of teams played and talent . Creighton is by far the better team and “should “ win.

What?? You realize who they’ve played, right?
Jaybird

Postby OKBluejay » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:55 pm

For what it is worth, CSU is rated #101 in defense on KenPom, and UNLV is rated #202. Their rankings would be even worse if not for the results against the Jays. So Alabama being ranked #90 on defense doesn’t necessarily mean things are going to go well for the Jays. Whether or not they can effectively play the same defensive style that CSU and UNLV did (or if they will even try) remains to be seen. They almost certainly will not try to slow the game down the way UNLV did.
OKBluejay

Postby section221jay » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:26 pm

Haven't hit panic mode yet. I'm hoping bama brings similar defensive aggressiveness as CSU and UNLV..a subsequent win would make me feel a lot better heading into the Big East.
section221jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops