Alabama Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Alabama Game Thread

Postby Realhoops » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:04 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Great win - fun game. Team showed a lot of moxie.

Nova has 11 days off before Wednesday night. Our guys were freaking gassed. Hope they get some good rest.

How do we end up with so many games against teams with week + off to get ready for us ahead of time?

And shout out to Ash. Opened the scoring, closed the scoring. And hit a huge late three in the middle of those.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby SDJay » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:39 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:Great win - fun game. Team showed a lot of moxie.

Nova has 11 days off before Wednesday night. Our guys were freaking gassed. Hope they get some good rest.

Mac said in radio remarks they’re off tomorrow
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby skinzfan23 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:58 am

That was a great game. By far the loudest CHI has been this year. Really fun game of back and forth to watch. Credit to Bama for hanging in the there with all the foul trouble. Kalk is a beast to come back and play like he did in the 2nd half.

Great to see Trey hitting those midrange jumpers again! Baylor doing Baylor things (another nearly triple double)
skinzfan23

Postby skinzfan23 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:49 am

Just watched the replay, Kalk stepped on bama guys foot as he was running down the court. I give him a ton of credit. I did that same thing once and was out for 2 months.
skinzfan23

Postby JacobPadilla » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:04 am

Had to watch this one on TV from Tampa, but here's my gamer focusing on Kalkbrenner, team toughness and the Baylor-Trey duo.

https://hurrdatsports.com/creighton-men ... lkbrenner/
JacobPadilla

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:18 am

Trey stood out at both ends while his mid range jumper was working. Baylor stood out with his 9 assists and overall game but I give my standout player of the game to Kalk as he was magnificent after returning from injury.
A very exciting game and a much needed win. This was a grind out win when we only shot 33% from 3 land.
Only one offensive board for Bama in the 2nd half was the difference in the game.
drbluejay

Postby drbluejay » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 am

Mason Miller lead the team with an unbelievable +15 in the +/- category. Next was Kalk at +6. Many of the players were minus.
drbluejay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:39 am

What a fun game. We've all been on edge due to the 2 losses this year, but also because some of the teams we expected to be good really just weren't that good when we played them. The 2 losses showed we have weaknesses (what team doesn't), but this was the kind of game that shows what this team can be.

- Tough and gritty to overcome Kalkbrenner's injury.
- Playing the kind of athletic team that was supposed to be a big weakness for us
- Winning when the 3 PT shots were hard to come by and mostly weren't falling
- playing a physical game with lots of contact on both ends of the court

And with all of that we managed to find a way to win. Just a great team win

Great to have the big 3 back to playing the way we expect in these games.

* Kalk was the difference maker in the second half, changing things offensively and defensively in the midst of playing hurt.

* Trey came back with a vengeance when we needed him most. It's not just that he's been missing 3's lately, but he's been missing in the paint and in the mid-range lately. It was a big slump and it was killing us. Last night that all changed. Against a long and athletic Bama team he was 3/5 at the rim and 5/9 from mid range for 8/14 from 2 PT range, and 6/8 from FT line (and he probably could have had a lot more of those)

* Baylor is taking on a bigger and bigger role in the offense. Most forwards who can stay with him on the perimeter have a hard time with how physical he is inside, and his handle and passing are excellent for his size as well. 9 assists last night, 6 rebounds, 2/5 at the rim, and 2/7 from 3 PT

* We are going to live and die by how those 3 play, but there were a lot of bright spots on the roster otherwise. Ashworth got 12 pts, 2/6 from 3 PT range (1 taken away with the moving screen call on King and a huge one late in the game), got 1 at the rim even, and 4/4 from the line, including 2 big ones late.

* Bello played hard and we mostly ran Sears off the 3 PT line all night (we don't really have anyone who can play him, but most teams don't have a guy to match him either - he put up 35 against Purdue w/ 8/16 from 3 PT range and 27 against Oregon)

* Credit to King, Traudt, Green and the team for scrapping when Kalk was out in the first half. I was shocked that we were able to stay close and go into the half at a tie. Yes, it showed how important Kalkbrenner is to us, but those guys scrapped hard despite being overmatched

* Special credit to Miller - just did a ton of good things last night. His 2 3PT shots came at big times and he nailed them, but his D was good all night across a few different players, and he even had a block late that was at a big moment. Great to see his confidence growing in pretty much every game he plays now

How good is Alabama? Very good, IMO. The computer systems LOVE them (Kenpom 9th, Barttorvik 5th) and I can see why. They take great shots, score on about anyone, get second chances, and can get to defenses in a lot of different ways. Their coaching is also very good as well - it was fun watching the chess match between Mac and Oats. They like the same shots for their team and did a good job planning to take them away for each other's team!

They do have 2 weaknesses - Interior Defense just doesn't have the kind of guys to slow down centers like Kalk or Edey and their defenders will foul out, but beyond that, they foul A LOT. They definitely take the strategy of daring the officials to blow the whistle. The refs last night tried to be balanced, but ended up not calling a lot of their contact (e.g., the over the back block that put Bello on the floor in the second half, but there was a lot of over the back, a lot of slapping and bumping on D on almost every trip trip down the floor). That will be a potential problem for them during the season as the officials will have choices to make and some games will be called more tightly than last nights (despite the complaints from their fans)

Either way, this will be a very good win for us at the end of the year, and it was a perfect kind of win for us going into BE play
Chicagojayfan

Postby wildjays » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:05 am

The Bluejay Beat postgame podcast is now live for our Patreon subscribers.

Matt DeMarinis and Jacob Padilla break it down. Everyone that played had key contributions to the win. Enjoy.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby John Bishop » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:36 am

Radio postgame interviews. Baylor, Trey & Mac.

https://p.ftur.io/koznam/21036
John Bishop

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops