Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Nebraska Game Thread

Postby yeti47 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:45 pm

That was delicious! RDJ
yeti47

Postby j4jays » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:27 pm

Just got back from watching Jays dismantle Huskers. It was sweet to see mass exodus at under 12 timeout.It's been great to go to Stillwater and Lincoln this week and come home with a smile after 2 W's. Go Jays!
j4jays

Postby CUGrads03 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:56 pm

Keisei flashing a 3 signal early in the first when he was 3 feet inside the three point line was funny. Then throwing the ball. Then swiping the ball back up through the rim. WTF man?

Baylor blowing kisses and finger pointing. He’s got the brain of GG (I like swagger but don’t love the kissing and pointing garbage). Did the announcers say the fans were giving him the business (they should be) at one point when there was a stoppage? Thought I heard that.

The pre-halftime series: The offensive player can’t jump into a defender to draw a foul (even though Keisei did it to Bello) but, in this case, the defender was up in the air and out of control. Is that why it was called a foul or was it bogus? Ashworth clearly jumped into him but he was up in the air and out of control (not straight up).

I had a handful of Husker buddies already text and say it was just a lucky day because we finally hit shots and we always live and die by it. Jesus they’re dumb basketball watchers. We shot really well but also passed really well and defended well. Had they run us off the line better, we’d of exploited the inside more which was also available.

That Husker team is improved and has some pieces but still they were pretty bad today. Outplayed and out coached. Again. I really thought Mac’s comments at the end of the game while speaking with Bahe were great. Essentially, he hates the game (read into it what you want) but it’s clear how much the state of Nebraska loves basketball and it’s good for the fans.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby LJay » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:29 pm

You can’t jump laterally into a defender and get the foul but that dude started his jump to Ashworth’s left and across his body and finished to Ash’s right. Ash has the right to jump AT the basket with his shot. It was the right call as he did it as the guy crossed in front of him.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby T-bone » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:32 pm

I had a good experience at the game fwiw. Good-natured ribs beforehand and lots of good discussion with Sker fans during. I loved the guy yelling "Creighton sucks" right after the anthem so everyone could hear it.

They were handing out "Beat Creighton" buttons. I kicked myself for not picking one up after I passed the table.
T-bone

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 pm

LJay wrote:You can’t jump laterally into a defender and get the foul but that dude started his jump to Ashworth’s left and across his body and finished to Ash’s right. Ash has the right to jump AT the basket with his shot. It was the right call as he did it as the guy crossed in front of him.

that was exactly my interpretation. He went across in front of him and Ashworth continued toward the basket. Smart move by him
Chicagojayfan

Postby skinzfan23 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:59 pm

So glad we blew them out. Mac owns Hoiberg. Nebraska should have a few decent wins in the Big 10, so this win should help us more than it usually does.

I was driving back from eastern Iowa and so glad that xm radio had the Jays broadcast on.
skinzfan23

Postby vivid_dude » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:42 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
LJay wrote:You can’t jump laterally into a defender and get the foul but that dude started his jump to Ashworth’s left and across his body and finished to Ash’s right. Ash has the right to jump AT the basket with his shot. It was the right call as he did it as the guy crossed in front of him.

that was exactly my interpretation. He went across in front of him and Ashworth continued toward the basket. Smart move by him

That was a textbook example of a 50/50 call. I was totally fine with it. But if it went the other way, and a guy in red did it, I'm pretty sure there'd be outrage since Ashworth primarily initiated the contact. It was a very smart basketball play by Ash. In that moment, put the ref in a position to have to blow the whistle (or not). Guys like Reggie Miller made a living off of it. It wasn't definitively the right call. If the ref didn't call it, there's no iron clad argument for a foul in that moment. But there was nothing wrong with it either. That's basketball. That's the nature of reffing! Lots of those in a game.

You'll all be thrilled to know that I've been sanctimoniously and arrogantly belittling Husker fans for their incessant ref complaining too. More via text though.

Great win. The continuing and improving contributions from the 4-position is such a great development for this team. Trey's efficiency needs to return - that mid-range jumper isn't falling. But I have no doubt it will return. Little bit of a slump that will go away. He's still impacting the game positively in other ways.

Kalk blocked, altered, adjusted or deterred around a dozen shots. He remained very interested, as he has all year! I'm liking Fred more and more every game. Ash just played his two best games of the year and they were against Power 5 conference teams. Not the greatest in those conferences, but still a nice outcome causing more hope.

Let's keep it going! One week at a time.
vivid_dude

Postby gocreightongo » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:56 pm

I've seen a lot of discourse from Nebraska fans that we shot "lights out." However, we shot 35% from 3 which I'm guessing is below our average.
gocreightongo

Postby Jaybird » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:42 pm

gocreightongo wrote:I've seen a lot of discourse from Nebraska fans that we shot "lights out." However, we shot 35% from 3 which I'm guessing is below our average.

That probably looked like "lights out" shooting to a fanbase that has no first-hand familiarity with the concept. But...

Today was both Creighton's 2nd lowest overall FG% and 3-pt % of the season (well, tied for 2nd lowest). Shooting "lights out" is what the Jays did against No Dak St, hitting 61% from the field. If they'd done that today, they would have made another ten shots, which would have meant a minimum of 20 more points (and that's assuming all twos). I doubt corndog fans want to think about that kind of carnage.

Creighton had a subpar shooting day. The hucksters got off easy.
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops