Nebraska Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Nebraska Game Thread

Postby vivid_dude » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:20 am

Norm Peterson is without question awful. His takes are the epitome of what is wrong with sports fans. Back in the day, he posted here on occasion. I actually thought he was a troll trying to make Husker fans look ridiculous. When I found out he was a human, I was sad for him.

All that said, he’s not an overall reflection of the fanbase. Currently, there is a tweet out there from a diehard Jay fan calling the BlueCrew losers. It’s “liked” many times over. Calling college kids losers in this situation is objectively abhorrent. If Norm, or another fanbase, broadly painted Jay fans as being represented by this one guy and the handful who liked his opinion - that would be really stupid. Likewise, taking Norm’s (or any one fan’s take of any fanbase) embarrassing post and having that represent the collective is similarly stupid.

Ridicule Norm. He deserves it. Ridicule anyone who is likeminded to Norm. But unless you’re willing to be lumped in with every bad take disseminated by a Jay fan, it shouldn’t go much further than that.
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:52 am

vivid_dude wrote:Norm Peterson is without question awful. His takes are the epitome of what is wrong with sports fans. Back in the day, he posted here on occasion. I actually thought he was a troll trying to make Husker fans look ridiculous. When I found out he was a human, I was sad for him.

All that said, he’s not an overall reflection of the fanbase. Currently, there is a tweet out there from a diehard Jay fan calling the BlueCrew losers. It’s “liked” many times over. Calling college kids losers in this situation is objectively abhorrent. If Norm, or another fanbase, broadly painted Jay fans as being represented by this one guy and the handful who liked his opinion - that would be really stupid. Likewise, taking Norm’s (or any one fan’s take of any fanbase) embarrassing post and having that represent the collective is similarly stupid.

Ridicule Norm. He deserves it. Ridicule anyone who is likeminded to Norm. But unless you’re willing to be lumped in with every bad take disseminated by a Jay fan, it shouldn’t go much further than that.

well put Vivid, he had a crazy take on this, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that his take is the norm (pun, ha) among Nebraska fans. Most I've seen realize that's it's not particularly unusual for a couple of young people to like one another, and that at 6-5 she likely has a pretty small pool of guys who are her height to begin with!

And from a talent perspective, she can go play about anywhere she wants. Cook certainly isn't a jerk enough (or stupid enough) to try to play hardball about her going to a basketball game in blue colors. She has family in NE (despite her parents living in TX) and that was probably a big reason why she's in Lincoln in the first place
Chicagojayfan

Postby CUGrads03 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:10 pm

I’d be miffed and a shade embarrassed if Baylor or any Jay got seen with UNL gear on, but my opinion as one singular lowly fan certainly doesn’t get close to what this guy is proposing or has vocalized. Yikes.

I do wonder if there are any sort of clauses or disclosures that come along with the money they take around what they have to wear and when. I mean, they are getting money, much like a sponsorship, but I have no idea if it anything like a sponsorship in reality. In pro sports, you see athletes having to grab their Prime or throw on their Rolex or hat from whoever the second they’re on TV. Gotta assume it’s not like that, but they’re taking money from someone. I’ve got to assume, while there’s probably behavior statements and expectations of certain conduct, that the rule don’t get this specific but I have no idea I guess.

Regardless, that guy is, um, a little over the top. I’d maybe facepalm myself but that’s about it from my perspective.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm

Didn’t Baylor show up at the NCAA Tourney volleyball game in Lincoln wearing NU gear a couple days before? I’m pretty sure I saw a photo of that, with the perfunctory Jaysker comments from NU fans.
HandDownManDown

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:28 am

HandDownManDown wrote:Didn’t Baylor show up at the NCAA Tourney volleyball game in Lincoln wearing NU gear a couple days before? I’m pretty sure I saw a photo of that, with the perfunctory Jaysker comments from NU fans.

Nope. He went to the volleyball game and supported her. He did not wear Nebraska gear. That is why they are so triggered.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby thatoneguy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:27 am

CUGrads03 wrote:I’d be miffed and a shade embarrassed if Baylor or any Jay got seen with UNL gear on, but my opinion as one singular lowly fan certainly doesn’t get close to what this guy is proposing or has vocalized. Yikes.

I do wonder if there are any sort of clauses or disclosures that come along with the money they take around what they have to wear and when. I mean, they are getting money, much like a sponsorship, but I have no idea if it anything like a sponsorship in reality. In pro sports, you see athletes having to grab their Prime or throw on their Rolex or hat from whoever the second they’re on TV. Gotta assume it’s not like that, but they’re taking money from someone. I’ve got to assume, while there’s probably behavior statements and expectations of certain conduct, that the rule don’t get this specific but I have no idea I guess.

Regardless, that guy is, um, a little over the top. I’d maybe facepalm myself but that’s about it from my perspective.

I've seen many Creighton student-athletes post photos with Nebraska gear on - mostly at football games in the fall. It happens. I don't like it, but meh, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
thatoneguy

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:52 pm

Just an aside...but I thought I saw FreddyMac's handle, as browsing this thread a minute or so ago.

All Hail FreddyMac. Hope you are well and prospering my friend. All the Best for you and family this holiday season
and in 2024. Your legend continues as the proud Papa of Jays message boards. Much respect my man.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:Didn’t Baylor show up at the NCAA Tourney volleyball game in Lincoln wearing NU gear a couple days before? I’m pretty sure I saw a photo of that, with the perfunctory Jaysker comments from NU fans.

Nope. He went to the volleyball game and supported her. He did not wear Nebraska gear. That is why they are so triggered.

He has worn Husker gear to a volleyball match before (I ran into him there). Which is perfectly OK. I can't imagine caring one lick about that. He obviously chose Creighton over Nebraska when it actually matters to Creighton basketball fans.
JacobPadilla

Postby omajay » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:51 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:

He has worn Husker gear to a volleyball match before (I ran into him there). Which is perfectly OK. I can't imagine caring one lick about that. He obviously chose Creighton over Nebraska when it actually matters to Creighton basketball fans.

For what it is worth, I used to see Lauren Stivrins at some CU bball games during her playing days at NU. I don't know that she was wearing CU gear; but, she definitely was cheering for and supporting Creighton during the games.
omajay

Postby Jaybird » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:51 pm

I believe Baylor's family are nebraska fans, as is, I'm guessing, 90%+ of Aurora and every other small town in Nebraska. He probably grew up a fan. I can't see why anybody would care if he wears their gear to some game or other of theirs or even to just walk around, if he wants. Maybe some NIL sponsor would sit up and pay attention but as long as they're getting their money's worth otherwise, they shouldn't bat an eye either. I mean, come on, he's here. He's a Creighton guy. He can wear what he wants.

Anyway, the world is full of people who make unfortunate fandom choices. nebraska has fans, just like Wichita, the Yankees, the Cowboys, Slytherin, RC Cola, Myspace, the Taliban. Some people even watch KMTV news, or so I've been told. People even spent good money on Pintos and Corvairs at one time. Just no accounting for taste.

And, something happened to Norm Peterson since he was America's most beloved barfly. It's a lamentable downward spiral to becoming the voice of Huckster Hoops Central. It's tragic, and painful to witness.
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops