Oklahoma State Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Oklahoma State Game Thread

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:46 pm

Jaybird wrote:I will maintain that PM (along with, maybe, saves in baseball) is the most meaningless stat in sports, to my dying day. I'd even have it put on my tombstone, but it'd take up a lot of room.

It just tells you what happened, not why it happened. It's a starting point for a deeper dive into understanding a game.

Traudt was +19. Why? Primarily because he was on the court for the big run. What did he do during that run to contribute to it? He hit the 3 on the kick-out from Kalkbrenner, but beyond that you'd have to watch it back to see how he impacted the team during that stretch.
JacobPadilla

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:14 pm

Here's WBR's Morning After recap from the win, full of stats, analysis, quotes and highlights.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/morning- ... ate-79-65/
WBR Tom

Postby go_jays » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:18 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
Jaybird wrote:I will maintain that PM (along with, maybe, saves in baseball) is the most meaningless stat in sports, to my dying day. I'd even have it put on my tombstone, but it'd take up a lot of room.

It just tells you what happened, not why it happened. It's a starting point for a deeper dive into understanding a game.

Traudt was +19. Why? Primarily because he was on the court for the big run. What did he do during that run to contribute to it? He hit the 3 on the kick-out from Kalkbrenner, but beyond that you'd have to watch it back to see how he impacted the team during that stretch.

Haven't watched that stretch of play again and prolly won't. But just a player's presence on the court/field, whatever... can impact a game because of whatever threat he brings to the other team. Traudt is surely seen as a shooting threat from the 4. That can really impact how an opposing defense schemes to stop the offense. Spacing is critical to our offense... and he obviously impacts that in a big way.

He's...
11-23 on 3's 47.8%. He leads the team with Ash and Miller just behind him at 47.1%. 4th in attempts so it's apretty decent sample size so far.
14-27 overall at 51.9% behind only Kalk at 58.7%
He's a factor and someone the opponent has to respect.
Same for Mason too. His stats are really close to these. We are blessed to have 2 players at the 4 that are definitely impacting the games.

BTW... I don't follow the other BE teams like a lot of you guys do. But I'm guessing that you would be hard pressed to find another 4 in the BE that has those kinds of numbers and impact on the game?

Mac finally has the 4's that he has coveted since joining the BE. And if Jackson McAndrew plays the 4, it looks like he will continue to be able to recruit shooting 4's going forward. What 4 out there wouldn't want to play in Mac's offense?
go_jays

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:50 pm

I decided to break down Steven Ashworth's game to show how he got his buckets and where his assists came from. That game is exactly what Creighton needs him to be to keep defenses honest.

https://hurrdatsports.com/creighton-men ... tillwater/
JacobPadilla

Postby SDJay » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:38 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:I decided to break down Steven Ashworth's game to show how he got his buckets and where his assists came from. That game is exactly what Creighton needs him to be to keep defenses honest.

These are so great to watch. Well done!
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:39 pm

SDJay wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:I decided to break down Steven Ashworth's game to show how he got his buckets and where his assists came from. That game is exactly what Creighton needs him to be to keep defenses honest.

These are so great to watch. Well done!

+1 - Great analysis, as always, Jacob
Chicagojayfan

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops