Colorado State Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Colorado State Game Thread

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:52 pm

Realhoops wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Good hustle by Bello.

Can we please get the ball inside and quit jacking 3’s for now.

No. Those are the shots that e plan to take so we keep taking them no matter what

Then we will lose. Last year when things broke down, Nebhard went to the rim and found a way to get a bucket. We don’t have that this year.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby anotherjayfan » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:02 pm

Had some flashbacks to the Doug/Wragge/Gibbs team. The lack of driving ability means you live and die by the 3. There may be some high highs and low lows this year.
anotherjayfan

Postby section221jay » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Flashbacks of the Nebraska game last year. I was on the "too dependent on the 3" train then...not totally off of it now but seems like CU has 3-4 of these games every year. Timing is everything. If it happens in the Dance you're done. If it happens in November it's an ugly loss and a flaming red flag. Obviously there will be some growing/transitional pains replacing Art and R2. But the rational side of me reminds the knee jerk side of me that Mac is a hell of a coach and we see games like this every year. He/they will work it out.

I'll venture to guess we won't see another 2 game stretch like this from Trey (hoefully). I expect Ashworth to look much different in Jan/Feb than he does now. Etc.
section221jay

Postby CUGrads03 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:49 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
Realhoops wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Good hustle by Bello.

Can we please get the ball inside and quit jacking 3’s for now.

No. Those are the shots that e plan to take so we keep taking them no matter what

Then we will lose. Last year when things broke down, Nebhard went to the rim and found a way to get a bucket. We don’t have that this year.

Agree with Atty here. And “anotherjay” as well as I also was flashing back thinking of all the great shooting on the floor that could still be beat (rather easily) due to it not traveling. Credit to CSU for sure as well though. Noticed many times where we’d dribble and couldn’t get around the corner past the defender to get to the hoop. Made us look really slow. Was strange seeing it happen to basically every Jay player on the floor. Again, credit to CSU but this is also a combo of a head scratcher and an awakening. Better get back in the lab. Hopefully it’s a good thing this happened early in the season and we learn? Trying to see the positive. We have kids who are smart enough to adjust with what Mac decides to do.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby 3ontheway » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:06 pm

Time will tell, but early returns look like we miss R2 pretty badly. Mac is a pretty ingenious offensive coach so we shall see. If your point guard can't break down the D and force wings to collapse and force help, it is a pretty big problem.
Last edited by 3ontheway on Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3ontheway

Postby dollarbeernight » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:28 pm

I have seen enough to know that Ashworth is the "problem". Too slight for this role now. It's just going to get worse in the BE. He needs to become the 6th man spark/3pt bomber off the bench. Trey needs to be full time PG and quit trying to Kaluma his shots. Dotzler is the future and the key backup to Trey. CU was seriously exposed today and it will continue until we move out of the Ashworth experiment. We are physically outmatched at the 1,3 and 4. Bello/combo/Baylor can handle the 2. We can fix the 1 tomorrow if Mac chooses. Good thing it's early in the year and Green is now available.
dollarbeernight

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:30 pm

3ontheway wrote:Time will tell, but early returns look like we miss R2 pretty badly. Mac is a pretty ingenious offensive coach so we shall see. If your point guard can't break down rhe D and force wings to collapse and force help, it is a pretty big problem.

This. Look at the history of our point guards from the last several years. They’re all different, but Mo, Z, and R2 could all get theirs. Trey is obviously a great player! However, you can tell the role he’s playing right now isn’t best served for him. When we play teams with athletic and/or physical guards, he’s helped a lot by having other guards that are just as good if not better at handling the ball or getting by his guy. R2 could do that. We literally have no one else to do that and we won’t the rest of the year.

I don’t love R2 or Art, they both had plenty of weaknesses. But the reaction that we would be able to just plug and play never made any sense to me. The only thing Ashworth does better then R2 is shoot from 3. That’s it. And it hasn’t won us any games yet. People over-criticize R2. Do we forget the 25 piece he dropped on Arkansas in Maui against NBA level guards? Do we forget the THIRTY piece he dropped to get us to the S16 against nba level guards at Baylor? One of if not the best NCAA tourney game ever played by a Jay. Yes, he had weaknesses. But we miss him heavily.

As far as Art goes, no one got more frustrated with his play than me. He could be a turnover machine. Ball stopper. Brick thrower. You name it. But, the fact is no one on the roster can do what he was able to do at that spot when he was on, or period. His athleticism and physicality allowed him to play much different than Traudt/Miller. We are going to miss that. His ability to create his own shot, or at least the *threat* of it, we will miss. Miller and Traudt are better shooters, bar none. But that’s the only thing they’re better at than Art. And that’s all they are right now and that’s likely all they’ll ever be. Art got off to a rough start at KSU, but his last few games he turned it on. The ultimate Art experience. He makes plays that no one else on our roster currently can. There’s been rumors and rumblings for months of chemistry issues from those two and them wanting to get theirs. But, we got to the Elite 8, so it couldn’t have been that bad. I’d take an Elite 8 with above average chemistry than an NCAA tourney team who all loves each other

We were sold on how good of a fit Ashworth was. He seems like a great dude, great teammate, leader, etc. But he hasn’t been good and his 3 point shot hasn’t been nearly the threat it needs to be for him to make up for the below average aspect of the rest of his game. I thought at the time, and feel vindicated now, there were much better options to bring in the portal, especially if we’re going to allow Trey to play point 40/50% of the time. Ashworth is a 5’10, unatheletic 3 point shooter. Not a ton of those at the starter level in P5 basketball.

Time will tell on this team. We can get better. But the roster holes aren’t going away. This team will win games by shooting lights out, and when they don’t, they’ll lose plenty. Teams are going to pressure the hell out of us, run us off the 3 point line and make us slash to the rim, and that’s just not a strength. CSU isn’t a bad team, but they’re probably a bubble ish team. Iowa isn’t great. They got dominated for a lot of their game against OU.

The OSU game, Nebraska game, and Bama game are all going to be extremely difficult because all of those teams match up well against us. I know OSU isn’t good, but if we don’t shoot well anything can happen.

My two cents.
bluejayfan00

Postby 3ontheway » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:46 pm

Early returns..... not necessarily written in stone. Ashworth is getting used to a new system and the speed of things. It could look different in January. To say he is 6'1" though is laughable. He honestly looks maybe 5'10"
3ontheway

Postby dollarbeernight » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:51 pm

Thanks Bluejayfan00. Same thoughts above. The Ashworth experiment as starting PG is done at some point this season.
dollarbeernight

Postby JayPak » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:59 pm

sdebole059 wrote:better hope this was a one time stinker or this looks like the 4th best team in the BE

5th and maybe as low as 7th based on today

CSU had us well scouted. They overplayed Kalk’s right side in the post and he was unable or unwilling to drop step left. Spun away from the hoop with his right foot or simply passed back to the perimeter every time. Couldn’t make them pay for doubling.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops