Texas Southern Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Texas Southern Game Thread

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:03 pm

RyanHolmgren wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:
RyanHolmgren wrote:I know they’re mostly wide open, but feeling like a lot of settling for 3s. Already 35 thrown up with 8 minutes to play. Their D is so leaky, think we could work harder for some even easier looks.

agree - not moving the ball great and while they are getting open 3's they aren't shooting it all that well

Back-to-back made long 2 and a 3 by Scheierman. Right on cue.

Yep - and another 3 from Miller who is looking good tonight on both ends of the court.. and now one by Trey!

I really liked the 2 lobs to Kalk though - easy to get shooters when the big man is finishing in the paint!
Chicagojayfan

Postby LJay » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:33 pm

Burn the tape and move on to KC.

14-40 from 3 and 15-23 from 2. How do you take 40 3s against these guys?
89 - 60
LJay

Postby jays911 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:38 pm

LJay wrote:Burn the tape and move on to KC.

You are really negative of late. Anything wrong?
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby KenoshaJay » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 pm

Vegas called. The line was 30+.

Enough said.
KenoshaJay

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:45 am

jays911 wrote:

What did he say that was incorrect? II think we should have been pounding these guys down low each time, especially to get Ryan going. 20 3’s would have been too many for me. To each their own I guess…..
SonofFrankTomera

Postby wildjays » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:57 am

The Bluejay Beat podcast is posted for our Patreon Subscribers.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link

Matt DeMarinis and Jacob Padilla break things down for you all.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby bigredtank » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:28 am

It was an average performance by Creighton against a below average team.
bigredtank

Postby go_jays » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:47 am

It's pretty hard to get motivated playing 3 really shitty teams and a "decent" team.

We've gone from a ridiculously difficult schedule to mostly cream puffs. Non-con schedule looks really weak right now... save for a couple of reasonably competitive teams.... and one really solid challenge (Pick 'em game) at home. We've got a reasonably "veteran" team that understands that every game matters and you need to stay focused. But it's still hard to do that and stay motivated when you have such a weak schedule.
go_jays

Postby Django » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:19 am

SonofFrankTomera wrote:
jays911 wrote:

What did he say that was incorrect? II think we should have been pounding these guys down low each time, especially to get Ryan going. 20 3’s would have been too many for me. To each their own I guess…..

Since that kid from Fargo with a mullet broke up all our lob plays we’ve been gun shy on the pick and rolls in the paint as well as posting up both our bigs. Gotta get that right. Maybe spend more time on that in practice. Bahe makes it sound like all we do is drills where we defend straight up all day, lol.

And feed Big Fred!!! Fred going 0-2 is a problem. He shouldn’t have to score all his points on offensive rebounds. Fred can muscle it up off a bounce pass. Feed Big Fred! The Fred is hungry!!!
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:40 am

A bit of a strange game and I'm sure it was hard for the team to be motivated. The opponent was overmatched and it kind of felt like Creighton was on cruise control most of the night

Texas Southern came in having played some pretty decent D this year. New Mexico was the only team over 100 in offensive efficiency on Reference, VA was at 100 and AZ State was only 84. We put up 124.2 despite not having a great night (Statbroadcast had us at 1.302 PPP)

Defensively, I thought we didn't completely lock them down (VA held them to 33 pts!), but we held them to 50 but Texas Southern scored at a more efficient rate than in their earlier games. Not shocking as they have some athletes and players, maybe the new guys are figuring out how to play together. Mac didn't seem unhappy with the defensive performance, so I won't gripe too much about that

Overall shooting took a bit of a hit -- "only" 7 players have a .600 TS% and above now, ha! Bello leads at .824 and the rest are between .600 and .700. Kalk is off of last year's pace .677 vs. .725

Baylor .690 (even above what he did in the Summit league his last 2 years)
Alexander .681 (way above his career averages around .568) - assist rate over DOUBLE of last year
Ashworth ,600 below his career average of .612 - didn't have a great shooting night last night, but I liked him finding shots and liked how he was throwing the lobs to Kalk

And for the 4 - Miller at .695 and Traudt at .669. Together they are putting up almost 15 ppg, 7 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.1 turnovers and 2.5 pf's w/ Miller rebounding a bit more and Traudt scoring a bit more on a per minute basis. Worth monitoring as we get into the tougher parts of the schedule, but I'm optimistic with what I see from the 4 spot right now
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops