Texas Southern Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Texas Southern Game Thread

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:11 pm

Here's the Primer for tomorrow's game with Texas Southern. They've made three straight NCAA Tournaments, and won games in '21 and '22 (as a 16 seed in the First Four). They've won at least one buy game every year that Johnny Jones has been head coach. He's built a really good program at that level.

But man, they've struggled this year. Averaging just 46 points through three losses, including an ALL CAPS UGLY loss to Virginia on Thursday (62-33).

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... day-night/
WBR Tom

Re: Texas Southern Game Thread

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:40 pm

Wow, 4th to last in D1 offensively. It will be interesting to see the opening line with them being so putrid on offense.

Also, agree with Mac's thoughts on Ashworth -- okay, maybe with the small caveat that if I were coach, his defense might keep me up at night. I have a hard time seeing him be anything but a liability on that end in all our most important games, save the handful where matchups work in our favor. edit: after re-reading my comment, I think it's a bit harsh. R2 was more athletic but even smaller and certainly not reputed as a stopper. I'm confident Mac and Ashworth will collaboratively figure it out

But offensively, with a shot as good as his, he's going to be fine.... He's not the only (slightly) undersized mid major guard to transition to the big leagues. It's an adjustment process and he is clearly talented enough to be an impact player at this level.
Jaysker12

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 pm

It feels like we are burying the lede with this game.

Kalk vs. Shaq’s son in the post!
vivid_dude

Postby Trifecta » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:58 am

Let's hope we get a lot of run for the 2nd unit. I'd still like to see more out of Dotzler and Lawson.
Trifecta

Postby YankeesJunkie » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:45 am

Line looks to be at 28.5, which feels pretty good since even if Creighton blows TX southern out, there won't be walk on players for a bad beat.
YankeesJunkie

Postby JayPharmAlum » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Student section was full an hour before tipoff.
JayPharmAlum

Postby LJay » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:21 pm

Quiet here tonight. Hard to get fired up when the crowd is a bit smaller and the Jays lead by an insurmountable number.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby RyanHolmgren » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:55 pm

I know they’re mostly wide open, but feeling like a lot of settling for 3s. Already 35 thrown up with 8 minutes to play. Their D is so leaky, think we could work harder for some even easier looks.
RyanHolmgren

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:56 pm

RyanHolmgren wrote:I know they’re mostly wide open, but feeling like a lot of settling for 3s. Already 35 thrown up with 8 minutes to play. Their D is so leaky, think we could work harder for some even easier looks.

agree - not moving the ball great and while they are getting open 3's they aren't shooting it all that well

Nice little run right after I said that - a couple of lob passes to Kalk from Ashworth and some nice shooting from Baylor
Chicagojayfan

Postby RyanHolmgren » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:01 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
RyanHolmgren wrote:I know they’re mostly wide open, but feeling like a lot of settling for 3s. Already 35 thrown up with 8 minutes to play. Their D is so leaky, think we could work harder for some even easier looks.

agree - not moving the ball great and while they are getting open 3's they aren't shooting it all that well

Back-to-back made long 2 and a 3 by Scheierman. Right on cue.

Edit: Plus Miller and Alexander 3s as part of a 17-0 run.
Last edited by RyanHolmgren on Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanHolmgren

Next

Return to Men's Hoops