Iowa Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Iowa Game Thread

Postby jayrock222 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:33 am

Who will our match ups be on defense? I haven't seen Iowa play this year but they have a lot of size.
jayrock222

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:08 am

jayrock222 wrote:Who will our match ups be on defense? I haven't seen Iowa play this year but they have a lot of size.

Their PG is 6'2 -- so an inch or so listed on Ashworth.
Their other G is 6'4 -- so is Trey.
Their first F is 6'7 -- so is Baylor.
Their next F is 6'9 -- so is Miller.
Their last F is 6'9 -- Kalk is 7'1.

Off the bench they have a couple of guys at 6'8 and 6'10 -- we have King and Traudt both at 6'10.
Off the bench they have a couple of guys at 6'6 and 6'5, and one at 6'0 -- we have two at 6'3 and one at 6'6.

They have nobody Kalk's size. And the rest is pretty much a wash, particularly the main players.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:31 am

I would agree, overall if there is any advantage in height it definitely is on CU's side. I think the biggest edge we have is experience. They have a ton of underclassmen. They, like us, can really shoot the ball, but where Francis' teams really struggle is defense. They don't really see a lot of teams like us in the Big 10. If we can get out and run and play some D, we should be good. There will probably be moments when they hit a few 3's in a row, but as long as we can answer and shut them down on some possessions we should prevail.
skinzfan23

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:58 am

drbluejay wrote:The line now is anywhere from -11.5 to -12.5.
The OWH has their latest line at -9
Please don't sell your tickets to Iowa fans.

I work with a bunch of Iowa fans and they all have tickets. Shame to whoever sold them!
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby JayPak » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:17 am

AttyAlum wrote:
drbluejay wrote:The line now is anywhere from -11.5 to -12.5.
The OWH has their latest line at -9
Please don't sell your tickets to Iowa fans.

I work with a bunch of Iowa fans and they all have tickets. Shame to whoever sold them!

Game is sold out but they will sell standing room and secondary market tickets are cheap ($20-25 for upper bowl). Let's hope the late tip will limit the number of Iowa fans to metro area fans only.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby JayPak » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:18 am

skinzfan23 wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:I have fond memories of the last time we played Iowa, in 2011. We were barely favored and beat them by almost 30; Doug scored 25, one of those early games where he established himself as an automatic 20+ ppg scorer. That game and the one against SDSU were eye-openers in terms of what that team was capable of.

I was there and it wasn’t even that close…I was loving it. We were up by 33 at one point and with about 10 minutes to go pulled all of our starters and still won by almost 30.

Best career game for Avery Dingman, and it came in his freshman year.

More memories of the '99 game. Besides the brilliance of Sears and Walker mentioned in the Primer, Donnie Johnson scored 9 points in 16 tough minutes after not practicing all week due to back spasms. Nerijus Karlikanovas scored 11 on just 4 shots. Matt West made 3/4 treys. Freshman Kyle Korver hit 2/5 treys, including a big one following the technical on Alford, Alford's first technical of many in his Iowa career (though not as many as McCaffery?). Creighton caughts breaks when Iowa starter Kyle Galloway was injured 2 min into the game and Iowa C Jacob Jaacks was saddled with foul trouble and eventually fouled out. Altman bamboozled Alford with a halfcourt zone trap that wore the Hawkeyes down as the crowd willed the Jays to victory.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Realhoops » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:29 am

skinzfan23 wrote: I think the biggest edge we have is experience. They have a ton of underclassmen.

Their main players -- averaging around 20 minutes per game or more -- include three seniors, one junior, and two sophomores. Our main players -- averaging around 20 minutes per game or more -- include four seniors, one junior, one sophomore, and one freshman. Their starting five is pretty much a mirror image of ours in terms of class; of course one of our senior starters has been on our roster for a couple of months is all. We have guys with Elite Eight experience, but it's not like they are playing a bunch of freshman and sophomores for most of their minutes or anything.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:48 am

That is true, but Francis has stated that he is going to be playing the young guys a ton. Dix (soph), Bowen (soph) and Harding (fresh) are going to be their main bench guys and none of them have a ton of experience. Granted our bench doesn't have a ton of experience either, but King did play some big minutes in Big East play last year and Bello is a 5th year man.
skinzfan23

Postby taa71458 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:
Jaysker12 wrote:I have fond memories of the last time we played Iowa, in 2011. We were barely favored and beat them by almost 30; Doug scored 25, one of those early games where he established himself as an automatic 20+ ppg scorer. That game and the one against SDSU were eye-openers in terms of what that team was capable of.

I was there and it wasn’t even that close…I was loving it. We were up by 33 at one point and with about 10 minutes to go pulled all of our starters and still won by almost 30.

Was that the game in Des Moines? I remember that too, it was a blast
taa71458

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:36 pm

Yes, the game in 2011 was in Des Moines. It was predicted to be a close game, but the Jays blew it open and never looked back. The Hawk fans all left early.
skinzfan23

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops