Iowa Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Iowa Game Thread

Postby SendDustyIn » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:48 am

skinzfan23 wrote:And now on the Iowa forum, they are saying that CHI isn’t a tough place to play and we should enjoy pour ranking bc we are not a top 10 and struggled against the middle of the pack Big 10 team.

We shall see.

Cope more.
SendDustyIn

Postby NUgradCUfan » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:54 am

skinzfan23 wrote:And now on the Iowa forum, they are saying that CHI isn’t a tough place to play and we should enjoy pour ranking bc we are not a top 10 and struggled against the middle of the pack Big 10 team.

We shall see.

Like Carver-Hawkeye is some buzz saw of an arena lol. Have they considered maybe they're better than their preseason predictions too? Or are they set on the defeatist mentality that any team they play close with must suck?

What a bunch of dweebs. Cry more.
NUgradCUfan

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:59 am

Yeah, I think Iowa played a great game. Krikke did a great job exposing that mid-range shot, bc that is something that we are going to give up. Most teams don't have a shooter that can consistently hit that shot. Outside of Krikke, I don't think anyone on their team played amazing. Actually without him, you could argue, they wouldn't have even been in the game in the first place.

I have stated it before but Carver is a ghost town this season so far. They have avg a whopping 8,233/game. And that is the announced attendance, the actual attendance is probably closer to 5,000 avg. We are avg 16,793 for comparison.
skinzfan23

Postby Jaybird » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:04 am

NUgradCUfan wrote:

We shall see.

Like Carver-Hawkeye is some buzz saw of an arena lol. Have they considered maybe they're better than their preseason predictions too? Or are they set on the defeatist mentality that any team they play close with must suck?

What a bunch of dweebs. Cry more.

We actually had five larger crowds last season than we had for the Iowa game (PC, X, Nova, UConn, and MU), so they haven't seen it at its fiercest. It can be an intimidating place but maybe more so when it's all Creighton on a weekend afternoon instead of a late Tuesday night and with a couple thousand enemy infiltrators sprinkled in. I was surprised that Creighton didn't wedge in more people; it looked like there was room in those overflow risers above the student section. By an odd quirk, the reported attendance for the Iowa game was exactly, down to the last fan, the number we had for last year's nebby game. (Probably all the same fans didn't go to both, but that's just a guess).

Oh, and who's this "Armstrong" guy that Chicagojayfan keeps talking about? Do we have a promising newcomer named Armstrong who somehow keeps sneaking into games under the radar?
Jaybird

Postby go_jays » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:47 am

skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah, I think Iowa played a great game. Krikke did a great job exposing that mid-range shot, bc that is something that we are going to give up. Most teams don't have a shooter that can consistently hit that shot. Outside of Krikke, I don't think anyone on their team played amazing. Actually without him, you could argue, they wouldn't have even been in the game in the first place.

I have stated it before but Carver is a ghost town this season so far. They have avg a whopping 8,233/game. And that is the announced attendance, the actual attendance is probably closer to 5,000 avg. We are avg 16,793 for comparison.

This ^^^^^^^... there aren't that many 5s in the country that can shoot 61% from 15-16 ft. I'm trying to think of even one in the Big East? And ditto on how out of hand this game could have gotten for us if he shoots less than that. And if I recall, he hit most of those in the 1st half. In the second half he wasn't nearly as accurate... and we had as much as a 17 point lead... that we should have held onto for Christ's sake!

If I was Mac and played them again, I'd have the same game-plan... but throw in a hedge every now and then to just keep them guessing. And I'd prolly pressure the ball a little higher like we did against NDSU and make it a 17 or 18 footer for him.
go_jays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:51 pm

go_jays wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah, I think Iowa played a great game. Krikke did a great job exposing that mid-range shot, bc that is something that we are going to give up. Most teams don't have a shooter that can consistently hit that shot. Outside of Krikke, I don't think anyone on their team played amazing. Actually without him, you could argue, they wouldn't have even been in the game in the first place.

This ^^^^^^^... there aren't that many 5s in the country that can shoot 61% from 15-16 ft. I'm trying to think of even one in the Big East? And ditto on how out of hand this game could have gotten for us if he shoots less than that. And if I recall, he hit most of those in the 1st half. In the second half he wasn't nearly as accurate... and we had as much as a 17 point lead... that we should have held onto for Christ's sake!

If I was Mac and played them again, I'd have the same game-plan... but throw in a hedge every now and then to just keep them guessing. And I'd prolly pressure the ball a little higher like we did against NDSU and make it a 17 or 18 footer for him.

Dixon is back at Villanova for one more year (I think?) and while he's not really a perimeter guy, team are going to take a shot at seeing if their big guy can shoot from outside when playing Creighton

Turnbull from Butler seems to be taking quite a few 3's this year also
Chicagojayfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:16 pm

In general, they're going to stick with the same strategy because it's a good one for their personnel. More specifically, I think Mac would like to see them execute better, and they probably would have tweaked a few things to get a hand up on more of those shots. Mac took the blame and said their game plan for Krikke wasn't a good one, and he mentioned they changed some things in the second half but so did Iowa to put Krikke in different spots and make it tougher to get to him. But at the same time, they kept Sandfort in check and limited their 3-point attempts. That's the give and take; Creighton isn't a team with elite defensive players 1-5 that can take away everything. The staff has to make choices with what they'll live with, and the choices they made were good enough to build a 17-point lead before taking the air out of the ball.
JacobPadilla

Postby Bluejoe » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:19 pm

Our defensive plan was solid. Mac adjusted a bit, but so did Fran. As fans, we may forget that the other coach knows what he is doing, too. We started adjusting to the top of the ket mid-range, but gave them a few from the sides. And he banked two or three of them in. But, they missed plenty of those in the second half while we were getting layups, dunks, and wide-open threes.

To take that away, it means that several of their guards would have had someeasy layups beating our defense. Or, that we would have to go under screens on a team that wanted to shoot 3s. Great point about us cutting Iowa's 3 point attempts in half. That was a huge win for our defense.

As for the crowd, it was great for a Tuesday night. Students have been incredible this year. But, there will be at least 4 games this year alone better than the Iowa crowd. Shatel needs to get out more. And, of course there were Iowa fans in the last few rows. Those are where the single game tickets remain. So, when this sold out, you had to figure Iowa fans bought those up. I was surprised there weren't more interspersed throughout the arena.
Bluejoe

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:57 pm

Maybe its because many were wearing black and not yellow but I didn't think there were as many Iowa fans as I thought might be there. I still think IA St had a better showing a few years ago. I also remember how many Iowa fans came to the Big 10 baseball tournament a few years back. I am sure the 9PM start on a Tuesday limited the number of fans from eastern Iowa.

I had been waiting to play Iowa at home since 1999 and I am glad that we got another win!
skinzfan23

Postby Jaybird » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:32 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:Maybe its because many were wearing black and not yellow but I didn't think there were as many Iowa fans as I thought might be there. I still think IA St had a better showing a few years ago. I also remember how many Iowa fans came to the Big 10 baseball tournament a few years back. I am sure the 9PM start on a Tuesday limited the number of fans from eastern Iowa.

I had been waiting to play Iowa at home since 1999 and I am glad that we got another win!

That Iowa St game had an announced attendance of 18,294; the Iowa game had 17,352. Apparently, Creighton uses a very elastic definition for "sellout".
Jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops