Iowa Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Iowa Game Thread

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:14 pm

Here's the Primer for Iowa. Despite replacing a 20-point scorer for the third straight year (the Murray twins each of the last two years, Luka Garza the year before), this looks like another high-octane offense for Fran McCaffery's Hawks; the question is whether they can rebound and defend well enough to win games when it matters most in March.

Should be a fast-paced game with a lot of possessions. CU's favored by 8.5 at the moment; I think they'll go over that. The Jays' offense is every bit as lethal as Iowa's, and their defense is much, much better. A 12-14 point win where they pull away late sounds right to me.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... es-finale/

Incidentally, I loved looking back at that '99 game. Two Hawks fouled out, one of them memorably flipping off the student section and getting into it with some of them. Alford getting his butt handed to him by Dana (again) and playing the villain role so well. Sears and Walker doing amazing things. Just a great, great memory.

That was my junior year at CU and up to that point, it was the largest/rowdiest crowd I'd witnessed here thanks to all the Hawk fans from western Iowa. First time with over 9,000 fans since Benoit Benjamin's final season; largest home crowd since '74. Obviously it's a different era now with a seismic shift in support for the Jays. Very curious how many Iowa fans get in the door.
WBR Tom

Re: Iowa Game Thread

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:34 pm

Been waiting a long time for this game. Excited that it is finally here. Hopefully the Jays can come out strong and put them away early.

Wonder how many Iowa fans will be in attendance? If I remember there were quite a few Iowa St fans when we played them a few years ago. This is why I would love to have a rotation between Iowa, ISU and Neb every few years. It is great for the fanbases, and outside of NE the other two are decent programs.
skinzfan23

Postby LJay » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:42 pm

Our corporate seating blows. It is the most empty area most games and it’s where the Iowa’s and Nebraska’s get into the building. Grrrrrr
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:47 pm

I have fond memories of the last time we played Iowa, in 2011. We were barely favored and beat them by almost 30; Doug scored 25, one of those early games where he established himself as an automatic 20+ ppg scorer. That game and the one against SDSU were eye-openers in terms of what that team was capable of.
Jaysker12

Postby CUGrads03 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:00 pm

WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Primer for Iowa. Despite replacing a 20-point scorer for the third straight year (the Murray twins each of the last two years, Luka Garza the year before), this looks like another high-octane offense for Fran McCaffery's Hawks; the question is whether they can rebound and defend well enough to win games when it matters most in March.

Should be a fast-paced game with a lot of possessions. CU's favored by 8.5 at the moment; I think they'll go over that. The Jays' offense is every bit as lethal as Iowa's, and their defense is much, much better. A 12-14 point win where they pull away late sounds right to me.

Incidentally, I loved looking back at that '99 game. Two Hawks fouled out, one of them memorably flipping off the student section and getting into it with some of them. Alford getting his butt handed to him by Dana (again) and playing the villain role so well. Sears and Walker doing amazing things. Just a great, great memory.

That was my junior year at CU and up to that point, it was the largest/rowdiest crowd I'd witnessed here thanks to all the Hawk fans from western Iowa. First time with over 9,000 fans since Benoit Benjamin's final season; largest home crowd since '74. Obviously it's a different era now with a seismic shift in support for the Jays. Very curious how many Iowa fans get in the door.

I know it’s early in the season, but a #8 team at home against an unranked team feels like 8.5 is on the low end. I agree with Tom that this should be a larger margin of victory and I believe the pull away is in the 2nd half as well. I’m just going to do a bit more and call it 14.5 instead. Here’s hoping. Go Jays!
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby YankeesJunkie » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:47 pm

CUGrads03 wrote:
WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Primer for Iowa. Despite replacing a 20-point scorer for the third straight year (the Murray twins each of the last two years, Luka Garza the year before), this looks like another high-octane offense for Fran McCaffery's Hawks; the question is whether they can rebound and defend well enough to win games when it matters most in March.

I know it’s early in the season, but a #8 team at home against an unranked team feels like 8.5 is on the low end. I agree with Tom that this should be a larger margin of victory and I believe the pull away is in the 2nd half as well. I’m just going to do a bit more and call it 14.5 instead. Here’s hoping. Go Jays!

I probably would not go much higher than 10. Iowa is has legit tourney aspirations and high octane offene. I am going with 92 to 79, so a cover, but not a blowout.
YankeesJunkie

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:I have fond memories of the last time we played Iowa, in 2011. We were barely favored and beat them by almost 30; Doug scored 25, one of those early games where he established himself as an automatic 20+ ppg scorer. That game and the one against SDSU were eye-openers in terms of what that team was capable of.

I was there and it wasn’t even that close…I was loving it. We were up by 33 at one point and with about 10 minutes to go pulled all of our starters and still won by almost 30.
skinzfan23

Postby GJT1347 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:01 pm

I remember listening to the 1998 (I think) game, that was in Iowa, on the radio. Jays upset Iowa after whoever was on the radio call with T-Scott dropped a “bull$hi+” bomb live on air after a supposed bad call. Next morning, Rodney Buford’s dunk was on SC top 10 plays.
GJT1347

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:15 am

That 98 game was day or so before Thanksgiving and had really good showing of Jay fans inside Carver.

That Rodney dunk was an all timer, he took off from about the FT line and looked like he was almost horizontal with the floor and hammered it down.

Rodzilla probably greatest dunker in Jays history still.
cujaysfan

Postby drbluejay » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:55 am

The line now is anywhere from -11.5 to -12.5.
The OWH has their latest line at -9
Please don't sell your tickets to Iowa fans.
drbluejay

Next

Return to Men's Hoops