Return to Men's Hoops

Re: North Dakota State Game Thread

Postby skinzfan23 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:10 pm

vivid_dude wrote:I think Kalk is okay.

I agree, 11pts in 6 min
skinzfan23

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:13 pm

Kalk showing us what he's worked on this offseason :)

Same for Alexander and Baylor. Alexander's game is so varied, he can score and impact the game in so many ways. Baylor had a block earlier, and showing some excellent passing today
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:19 pm

Are we surprised Lawson isn’t playing?
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:21 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Are we surprised Lawson isn’t playing?

a bit - although Dotzler just got in pretty recently. Hoping we see Lawson pretty soon also

Might not be bad to see a bit of Traudt at the 5 also. King's ability to foul makes me worried that we need another guy ready to play there
Chicagojayfan

Postby wildjays » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:45 pm

Creighton gets the win against North Dakota St. and sets up a fun game on Tuesday against Iowa.
Matt DeMarinis with the recap and postgame.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/late-off ... ota-state/
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby go_jays » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:15 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Miss R2 on lobs.

NDState made a lot of tough shots.

I do not think Kalk looks bad. Offense just isn’t going through him effectively. He was there on those lobs. If they are better thrown, he has 10 points and we think he looks fine.

Kalk’s defense is so good. Bison have an all-conference level post player. When King was in, they attacked the paint with him. With Kalk in, one post pass maybe? He causes other teams to move away from their strengths.

Can’t say anything bad about our bench and supporting guys. Francisco, Fred, Isaac and Mason all were net positives.

Trey and Baylor were next level.

Ashworth a little careless on occasion. Keep shooting.

The half felt EH, yet up double digits.

The first thing NDSU had in their game-plan was to stop the pick and dive lob to Kalk... Although I will agree that the lobs were a little late and too low. Timing wasn't quite there. But with the mid-range shooting we have now with Ash, Trey and Baylor... we'll still use it to get defenders off the 3 point line.

We are really and truly blessed with a diverse offense. It's like I stated last year (yes, I'm going to repeat myself)... When the other team game-plans against us, it will be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY tough to take away everything that we can do when we have the ball... Transition, Shoot the 3, Mid-Range, Get to the rim... and it's not just by 1 or 2 players.

We have multiple threats that can do more than one of those things. The only question will be... Can we make our Free Throws... which always seems to be a question mark at the beginning of the year. But usually comes around when we need it to.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:18 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Kalk has not looked good at all today, hopefully he picks it up in the second half.

some of that is how they are playing him, but I would like to see him be more active (and us to actively look for him more) even if he's getting doubled

D started out pretty poor, but seemed to get a bit better as the half went on at least

Yeah, my thoughts at halftime was that we weren't putting enough pressure on the ball high enough. When we started pressuring the ball higher up the court, that took them out of there pick and pop, pick an roll game.
go_jays

Postby LJay » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:39 pm

Random thoughts:

Their 4s may be stiffs or not but Miller and Traudt made their 4s invisible today. Good defensive effort. Plus they are turning into 3 ball threats the opponents can’t ignore in their game plan.

Ashworth was below average. What’s with the Y League passes? #10 beat him up in first half until Trey got switched to him then #10 was pretty invisible the remainder of the game.

Trey is better than last year by a good pace. Man, I’m glad he plays for us.

Baylor is going to be a problem for others as well. His fade aways in the lane are unstoppable. 3 ball looks good. Getting after it on D. Boarding. Complete college player.

Talking about 3 ball looking good, FF is putting noticeably more arc on his and it looks really good. Getting something from him would be a huge bonus.

Lawson buried on the bench isn’t a good sign. Hopefully he gets it going.

Glad to have Traudt as a stand in 5 if Fred continues to foul at a high rate. A 3 ball shooting 5 can be effective in the Jays lineup. See Martin Krampelj.

Good to see Kalk take over the game and dominate at a point that literally put the game away in a five minute timeframe. He will never be a great offensive player but he can be so much more like that more often.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm

I like the fact that we have three guys who can consistently knock down midrange j's. It's going to be a tough choice defensively for every team we play whether to crowd Kalk on the roll, or pressure the ball handler into making the right read. That said, we aren't going to get as high quality of shots during conference play where opposing guards are much better at moving around screens.

Trey is really really impressive. There's always the off-chance that players return from the draft process taking success and individual growth for granted...with Trey, it's plainly the opposite. He is on a mission to lead this team to uncharted territory.

NDSU played more physical than I expected, especially in the first half. It was good to see us respond. All the returnees seem more comfortable getting bumped and playing through contact.

Onto the next.
Jaysker12

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:03 pm

I focused on Trey, Baylor and Kalk in my takeaways from the game.

https://hurrdatsports.com/college-baske ... ota-state/
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops