North Dakota State Game Thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: North Dakota State Game Thread

Postby PAJay » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:21 pm

Maybe it has already been discussed but the Jays really have zero walk-ons to play at the end stages of a blowout? I like the second team getting PT but at a certain point it's probably wiser to not get anyone hurt.
PAJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:27 pm

PAJay wrote:Maybe it has already been discussed but the Jays really have zero walk-ons to play at the end stages of a blowout? I like the second team getting PT but at a certain point it's probably wiser to not get anyone hurt.

Sami Osmani is hurt and all the other newcomers (walk-ons plus scholarship freshmen besides Dotzler) are redshirting.
JacobPadilla

Postby CUGrads03 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:42 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:I like the fact that we have three guys who can consistently knock down midrange j's. It's going to be a tough choice defensively for every team we play whether to crowd Kalk on the roll, or pressure the ball handler into making the right read. That said, we aren't going to get as high quality of shots during conference play where opposing guards are much better at moving around screens.

Trey is really really impressive. There's always the off-chance that players return from the draft process taking success and individual growth for granted...with Trey, it's plainly the opposite. He is on a mission to lead this team to uncharted territory.

NDSU played more physical than I expected, especially in the first half. It was good to see us respond. All the returnees seem more comfortable getting bumped and playing through contact.

Onto the next.

I feel like Mac’s scheme is also helping Trey get to the NBA. Not sure if that’s a tiny bit on purpose or not, but you’ve gotta love such a great fit.

I feel like Baylor is playing like a guy in his last year. Loose, with confidence, etc. Like he’s really enjoying it. I, too, love Baylor’s mid-range (in addition to others we have too). Last year he pulled up a bunch. Hope that shot this year stays consistent or he chooses to get to the rim if the spacing is better.

Tons to say on the others but most had already been said by others so…

Go Jays! We will beat ourselves before someone beats us.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:09 pm

Lot of good things to see in this game as well. This team wasn't on the level of the BE teams we'll see, but they were a veteran, well-coached team. I thought the D might have been a bit soft to start, but they seemed to step it up in the end of the first half and the start of the second half.

A few general thoughts

- loved Kalk's aggressiveness to start the second half and loved how the team went to him in the paint
- Alexander was amazing - 3 Pt shots didn't fall, but he did everything else well. A lot of times last year I thought Alexander played
- Baylor looked aggressive and more athletic
- More of a complementary role for Ashworth today, but as teams pick their poison we'll see different guys from these 4 starters will be carrying the load on different days.

Miller/Traudt continue to more or less split time and to be productive. 16 pts, 6 boards is a solid outing and with 5/8 from 3 PT range is always a good sign

Bello is the steady influence, and his shooting looks better this year. Made no sense that he shot nowhere near his career average last year.. fingers crossed he's somewhere back to that norm

King - still fouling a lot, but I think we can get a solid 10 minutes a game at the 5 and we've already saw Traudt at the 5 for a minute or two, so that's an option also

Dotzler and Lawson are going to be the deep bench guys, it looks like, and we'll add Green when he's back. That's all the basis of a pretty nice bench

anyway, on to Iowa!
Chicagojayfan

Postby wildjays » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:49 pm

Creighton basketball is back and so is the Bluejay Beat podcast on Patreon.

Matt DeMarinis is joined by Jacob Padilla to break down Creighton's win over North Dakota St. Get top notch breakdowns all season long. Subscribe now if you haven't already. Thank you supporters!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/bluejay-b ... =join_link
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:59 am

Looking at the box score, two things struck me:

1. Skunberg came into the game scoring 21 per game and only scored 4 or 5 points.

2. CU as a team only had 4 fouls. That is the lowest total that I can remember for CU. To add to that unsual stat, it was King that had 3 of the fouls.
SeattleJay

Postby skinzfan23 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:34 am

According to Creighton, that was the fewest fails ever in a game at CHI by a team.
skinzfan23

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops