Wayne State Exhibition

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Wayne State Exhibition

Postby LJay » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:06 pm

Observations:

Our studs will carry us. Trey was nails.
We took a shitload of 3s.
Our defense won’t be as good but certainly not a fall off the cliff.
No answers yet at the 4.
Lawson has offensive game but will his defense keep him off the floor?
The young’ens showed some good things but most will redshirt. Knox and Townley-Thomas had moments.
I said this watching Bahamas and will repeat, Vice is a rebounding machine. It’s been against inferior competition but I like it.
Not sure what kind of test this was. Last I looked WS had one assist. Just one on one stuff. Not much prep for good teams.

That’s all for now.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JD4JAYS » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:49 pm

Dotzler looked good out there too. Coach said on the postgame he played with the 1’s a bit against IA St and did well. I’d be surprised to see him redshirt. He’s really smooth with the ball like his brother.
JD4JAYS

Postby CUGrads03 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:44 pm

Loved all the 3’s falling. Hope we don’t fall too in love with it and don’t get too one dimensional. That was the heal of teams of old on cold nights. But I’m confident we will still very much be multidimensional. So excited for college hoops. So excited for this season!

Don’t like the 1941 S16/E8 part of the banners at first thought.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:52 pm

WBR Tom wrote:Here's the Primer for Wayne State (and the official start of Year 15 of WBR's men's hoops coverage -- and Year 18 of writing about the Jays for me!):

https://whiteandbluereview.com/pregame- ... yne-state/

You got the final score exactly right…nice job!!!
skinzfan23

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:01 pm

I was glad to see how well Trey did and there were at least 2 times in the game were myself and people around me thought shots that Ashworth hit, we never would have seen Nembhard hit (granted I don’t think we are going to see many dunks from Ashworth)

Largest crowd for an exhibition game ever: 17,132.

On a side note, saw a few min of Iowa’s exhibition and there couldn’t have been more than 2,000-3,000 there.
skinzfan23

Postby JayPak » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:51 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:I was glad to see how well Trey did and there were at least 2 times in the game were myself and people around me thought shots that Ashworth hit, we never would have seen Nembhard hit (granted I don’t think we are going to see many dunks from Ashworth)

Largest crowd for an exhibition game ever: 17,132.

On a side note, saw a few min of Iowa’s exhibition and there couldn’t have been more than 2,000-3,000 there.

Not 17K actually there but it was a strong crowd (for an exhibition) that was into the game. Probably a legit 14K.

How did Iowa’s team look?
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:05 am

Nm.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby drbluejay » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:22 am

I liked what I saw last night, Especially the play of Trey. What Ashworth gives up on defense, he makes up for it with his play on offense. Baylor, Lawson, Josh and Josiah all played well. Miller and Farabello didn't stand out but Miller's +/- was +25 which lead the team. Vice was a monster on the boards and Kalk blocked everything in the early minutes so Wayne stopped going at him.
drbluejay

Postby AttyAlum » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:35 am

Thoughts:

These guys can really shoot it. I hope we don't become overly reliant on the three.
Need to find a way to get to the rim off the bounce. Dotzler is sneaky good at this and may get more playing time as a result.
Defense needs work. Especially on the ball.
Expected Lawson to come in sooner.
Our big three all look good. Really good.
Ashworth handled the press pretty well. Would have liked to see more of the lobs in the pick and roll.
Last edited by AttyAlum on Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:21 am

If this team needed more shooting, I think Lawson would be slated for a bigger role. But it seems like that may be all he's bringing at this point. Very skinny and looked to be a step behind on defense.

I thought Traudt moved fairly well in his minutes. Bahe said it best -- the better defender at the 4 will get more minutes. Will be interesting to see how he and Miller perform against real competition.

Dotzler's first step is pretty impressive. That move he made on his first drive was Nembhard-esque. He's taller than I thought. I think he brings something this team needs, but he's definitely got that wild freshman thing going on. More minutes will help him focus that energy.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops