Mason Miller

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Mason Miller

Postby HandDownManDown » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:00 am

His first 3 in the first minute of the game was a called play - a pick and pop on the wing. Personally I think they should have a called play for him a few times a game, mostly it seems he only shoots when he gets the ball and is immediately open through the natural run of play.

He also changed things by swooping in and grabbing a big offensive rebound which 10 seconds later led to Pringle fouling out.

Important guy for us. Hopefully he continues his growth, he’s capable of a ton more.
HandDownManDown

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:40 am

HandDownManDown wrote:His first 3 in the first minute of the game was a called play - a pick and pop on the wing. Personally I think they should have a called play for him a few times a game, mostly it seems he only shoots when he gets the ball and is immediately open through the natural run of play.

He also changed things by swooping in and grabbing a big offensive rebound which 10 seconds later led to Pringle fouling out.

Important guy for us. Hopefully he continues his growth, he’s capable of a ton more.

Good point on the called play. I think both Miller and Traudt are a bit too careful as they don't want to encroach on the shots for the older, more established players, but they are the 5th option on the court much of the time and just a few of those pick and pop plays a game will either give us an open shot or at least guarantee that the Defense has to account for them

I love seeing him crash the boards, you see how fast he moves and how big his vertical is when he does that

My feeling right now is that Miller/Traudt both get plenty of time this year and next year we see Traudt start at the 4 and Miller start at the 3. Both just have a ton of potential
Chicagojayfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:23 pm

Hmmm,

Well, it seems the Jays have "rich team" problems. Miller/Traudt sharing the 4 spot means no play for Andrew, our highest ranked recruit?
Miller at the 3 spot means either Lawson or Green won't see time, unless Lawson sees time at the 2.

I've penciled in Sterling at the SG, with Larry buckets spotting him. If Lawson sees time, Larry's minutes fall off.
I've got Dotzler starting, with Davis off the bench.

Frederick and Brock manning the paint. If Oswin comes (in 2024) things change in the pivot as well.

Starting Five: Frederick, Miller, Lawson, Sterling, and Dotzler.
Bench, 1st five: Brock, Traudt, Green, Larry Johnson, Ty Davis.

Good problems to have...
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby go_jays » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:26 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
HandDownManDown wrote:His first 3 in the first minute of the game was a called play - a pick and pop on the wing. Personally I think they should have a called play for him a few times a game, mostly it seems he only shoots when he gets the ball and is immediately open through the natural run of play.

Good point on the called play. I think both Miller and Traudt are a bit too careful as they don't want to encroach on the shots for the older, more established players, but they are the 5th option on the court much of the time and just a few of those pick and pop plays a game will either give us an open shot or at least guarantee that the Defense has to account for them

I love seeing him crash the boards, you see how fast he moves and how big his vertical is when he does that

My feeling right now is that Miller/Traudt both get plenty of time this year and next year we see Traudt start at the 4 and Miller start at the 3. Both just have a ton of potential

Traudt at the 4 and Miller at the 3 would be interesting. But I wonder if we'll see that. Mac has really been reluctant to play Traudt when the other teams go small... which has been quite often. Will be interesting to see how many BE teams take that approach. If they do, I'm afraid we won't see that much of Traudt at the 4 (not any more time than he is getting now anyway) and they will continue sharing minutes at the 4. Maybe Mac will have Traudt split some time at the 5 with King next year. That would seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Edit: additonal thoughts... If Miller can crank up his defending and eventually defend against smaller 3s, then I can see him playing it in a "big" lineup. But that would be a pretty big IF I think. But if he can, then I could see Traudt splitting time with McAndrew. But I still think him splitting time with King at the 5 makes more sense.
Last edited by go_jays on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:27 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Hmmm,

Well, it seems the Jays have "rich team" problems. Miller/Traudt sharing the 4 spot means no play for Andrew, our highest ranked recruit?
Miller at the 3 spot means either Lawson or Green won't see time, unless Lawson sees time at the 2.

I've penciled in Sterling at the SG, with Larry buckets spotting him. If Lawson sees time, Larry's minutes fall off.

Frederick and Brock manning the paint. If Oswin comes (in 2024) things change in the pivot as well.

Good problems to have...

You mean Jackson McAndrew.
go_jays

Postby mannygakou » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:01 pm

go_jays wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Hmmm,

Good problems to have...

You mean Jackson McAndrew.

Andrew Jackson?
mannygakou

Postby SeattleJay » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:35 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ashworth came back for a 5th year next year.
SeattleJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:57 pm

go_jays wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

Traudt at the 4 and Miller at the 3 would be interesting. But I wonder if we'll see that. Mac has really been reluctant to play Traudt when the other teams go small... which has been quite often. Will be interesting to see how many BE teams take that approach. If they do, I'm afraid we won't see that much of Traudt at the 4 (not any more time than he is getting now anyway) and they will continue sharing minutes at the 4. Maybe Mac will have Traudt split some time at the 5 with King next year. That would seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Edit: additonal thoughts... If Miller can crank up his defending and eventually defend against smaller 3s, then I can see him playing it in a "big" lineup. But that would be a pretty big IF I think. But if he can, then I could see Traudt splitting time with McAndrew. But I still think him splitting time with King at the 5 makes more sense.

I agree on Mac's approach on limiting Traudt when other teams go small, but I think with a full year of S&C at Creighton we'll see him improve his quickness, and I think that when we play in the BE, we will see more big 4's than we've seen with most of the OOC schedule

The nice thing is that we have that flexibility to go big and small depending on the teams we are playing and the lineups on the floor. I think we will need Traudt at the 5 some next year as King likely can't play the kind of minutes Kalkbrenner does (we've been really spoiled by that)

As for Miller, we gave him a game at the 3 in the Bahamas and I think in a recent blowout they had him in at the 3 as well so he could get more chances offensively, but even without that we do a lot of switching so we need him to keep improving the perimeter D (and that goes double for Traudt)
Chicagojayfan

Postby D Jay Fan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:47 pm

Bring out all the plays we have in our old playbook for Wragge. Traudt can also shoot those. When he curls to the top of the key with a quick release, he reminds me of Wragge. And the step into the 3 coming down the court after passing the ball into the guard that mostly Wragge or Dougie would do has also been done by Traudt.
D Jay Fan

Postby ictjay » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:36 am

Would be shocked if Larry Johnson wasn’t starting. Saw him scrimmage on his official trip. He is a 1%.
ictjay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops