Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!
Post a reply

Re: Big East 2023-2024

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:28 pm

The one thing I will say is they have finally shed themselves of Jean Lenti Ponsetto who internally did more damage to their basketball program than anyone for 20 years. I would like to think (hope) that her kind of ineptitude and damage could never happen here to that extent for so long as it would be rectified by the board. Basketball is important here. We are not a commuter school. Creighton basketball is important to the Omaha community. None of those are true of DePaul.

So, hopefully her replacement is starting to make progress undoing all that damage. But there is a lot of work to be done.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:06 pm

Would the BE ever push DePaul out?

Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:19 pm

SeattleJay wrote:Would the BE ever push DePaul out?

I doubt it, who would you replace them with? St Louis?

Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:32 pm

Hell, replace them with Loyola at this point. You still get that Chicago market and they actually care about basketball.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:10 pm

I don't think the BE has any interest in the St. Louis market.

Loyola doesn't have a venue that is big enough for a P5 Basketball League, in my opinion, and there is not enough land in Rogers Park to build a 10-15k arena. Gentile holds like 4,500 I think?

Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:13 pm

Is it even possible to remove a school?

Depends how those contracts are written. Id guess not since we've never seen that once in my lifetime.

I bet SEC would love to dump Vandy
Or the ACC Boston College.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:10 pm

The Big East actually may be the only conference that has ever done it. They kicked out Temple in 2005, but that was just their football program so not apples to apples.

St. Thomas was kicked out of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference for being too good.

Regardless, I don't think the political will is there to kick DePaul out. I wish they were better, but I'm sure coaches and administrators of other BE schools aren't too upset there's a couple wins on the schedule every year.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:14 pm

Every conference has its perennial dog. DePaul is the Big East's. They provide a nice break in the schedule for everyone a couple times a year. No reason to get rid of them unless they were causing problems/on probation all the time/etc.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:55 pm

BenningtonBluejay wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:Would the BE ever push DePaul out?

I doubt it, who would you replace them with? St Louis?

Dayton probably, but my guess is, Xavier would block it.

I can’t see them ever being forced out. I don’t think this league is cutthroat like that. They’d be crazy to leave willingly. They could never replace all these tournament units and all the TV money. They’re just going to keep being a meaningless win and the ultimate bad loss.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:51 pm

Fox blocked Dayton the first time. They’d do it again if we re-up with them.
Post a reply