Big East 2023-2024

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Big East 2023-2024

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:08 pm

Not a fan of the precedent this would set. The TV networks already control way too much of what's going on in college sports.

JacobPadilla

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:34 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:Not a fan of the precedent this would set. The TV networks already control way too much of what's going on in college sports.

It's a good point, and one I hadn't initially considered -- my first response was this would be a relatively harmless alternative to the NIT, and that what it signaled for the Big East was a good thing (that Fox sees them as a valued asset, and one they want to keep in their portfolio). The precedent it sets could be dangerous for those who love and value the NCAA Tourney (mostly) as is.

Here's hoping that precedent never leads anywhere.
WBR Tom

Postby Django » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 am

At a time when we just got over the possibility of losing UCONN and are still unsure about getting another strong contract with FOX I welcome the talks of the Gavitt Games extension and this latest news as signs that FOX wants to keep the Big East and keep us at the Power Conference level. I like the NIL possibilities for the players as it gives all BE coaches an additional recruiting advantage over the SEC, ACC and all mid-majors.
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:50 am

Maybe with all these teams not participating, this will finally give Nebraska a chance to play in the NIT. We all know they love to hang those NIT banners.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Django » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:36 am

AttyAlum wrote:Maybe with all these teams not participating, this will finally give Nebraska a chance to play in the NIT. We all know they love to hang those NIT banners.

Lol.

But from the looks of it the Big Ten, Big 12 and Big East would have to commit to the tournament so if NU just missed the dance again they’d to go to Vegas and play DePaul or UCF :lol:
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:09 pm

Django wrote:At a time when we just got over the possibility of losing UCONN and are still unsure about getting another strong contract with FOX I welcome the talks of the Gavitt Games extension and this latest news as signs that FOX wants to keep the Big East and keep us at the Power Conference level. I like the NIL possibilities for the players as it gives all BE coaches an additional recruiting advantage over the SEC, ACC and all mid-majors.

I'm skeptical of the NIL portion of it. The idea sounds nice, but I doubt it will be anything meaningful enough to serve as a recruiting tool.
JacobPadilla

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:37 pm

Django wrote:At a time when we just got over the possibility of losing UCONN ...

I don't think we "got over" anything. Everyone I know was pretty firmly of the opinion that if UCONN decided to bolt to go join a football conference, then f them and good riddance. UCONN still doesn't really "fit" in the new Big East as a massive state school when nobody else in the conference is that at all. I get what they bring to the table from a fanbase, etc., but when they were not in the Big East the Big East wasn't really hurting at all -- UCONN needed the Big East way more than the other way around.

Django wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:Maybe with all these teams not participating, this will finally give Nebraska a chance to play in the NIT. We all know they love to hang those NIT banners.

Lol.

But from the looks of it the Big Ten, Big 12 and Big East would have to commit to the tournament so if NU just missed the dance again they’d to go to Vegas and play DePaul or UCF :lol:

This is all really funny until Creighton is playing Rutgers in Vegas because both missed the NCAA tourney. It's not like Creighton is a stone cold lock for the NCAA tourney every single year like Kansas or something, guys. And I seem to remember a lot of Jays fans who wanted to win the NIT a few years ago when we got eliminated before Madison Square Garden, and I seem to remember playing Fordham at the Civic in a really fun environment in the CIT or CBI or whatever that was actually a step below the NIT.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby JayPak » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:08 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote: …and I seem to remember playing Fordham at the Civic in a really fun environment in the CIT or CBI or whatever that was actually a step below the NIT.

Fairfield
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 am

JayPak wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote: …and I seem to remember playing Fordham at the Civic in a really fun environment in the CIT or CBI or whatever that was actually a step below the NIT.

Fairfield

Touche -- but that makes the point even more, frankly.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby LJay » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:52 am

Not a big surprise to me. He was wishywashy coming out of high school. CU once listed as a suitor. No Gitmo, the Jays will not be in play now.

89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops