Big East 2023-2024

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Big East 2023-2024

Postby Jaybird » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:43 pm

If it were up to me, Eric Dixon would be Player of the Milennium. Hell, I'd give him a Golden Globe, a Grammy and a Presidential Medal of Freedom if I could. And a diploma and a one-way plane ticket out of Philadelphia. Have to admit, though, Carter's a fine choice.

I see these postseason awards as mostly a great motivator for the snubbed. Baylor's got some added fuel now, but so does Kalk. I don't know if anybody else mentioned this, but he actually got a demotion. He was 1st team last year. Four of those six guys are gone. Kolek is a repeat choice, and Kalk got sent down to the practice squad. Well, not exactly, but second team ain't first team, and I wonder if Kalk is thinking, "So, you don't like me as much this year, huh? Good to know".
Jaybird

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 pm

Realhoops wrote:I have little problem with the idea that Carter played to a POY level — but hard to believe they give it to somebody whose team is playing on Wednesday and finished bottom half of the league, especially when there were very deserving guys at the top too. Really felt like a sure fire co- POY year.

I think Co-POY was probably a good idea this year. All of them had some limitations/drawbacks:

Carter - sub 500 team (as others pointed out, how awful would have them been without that guy!)
Newton - Most usage on the best team, but really not an exceptional year statistically and that team is stacked
Baylor - Great overall and a huge jump over last year, but also on a stacked team

so I guess Carter was the best option among them, but I agree that co-POY would have been better
Chicagojayfan

Postby JayPharmAlum » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:55 pm

I hoped that Cooley would at least make PC work hard today but early indication is not so much.
JayPharmAlum

Postby Jaybird » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:11 pm

Providence is coasting, and Cooley is probably making a mental note to fire his agent as soon as he gets back to the locker room.

Brando said earlier that Castle is a likely lottery pick. I know Brando can go overboard, and it looks to be a weak draft this year, but I didn't realize Castle was that highly regarded.
Jaybird

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:37 pm

Jaybird wrote:Providence is coasting, and Cooley is probably making a mental note to fire his agent as soon as he gets back to the locker room.

Brando said earlier that Castle is a likely lottery pick. I know Brando can go overboard, and it looks to be a weak draft this year, but I didn't realize Castle was that highly regarded.

Not going overboard at all.. he's been universally regarded as a top 10 pick all year.
bluejayfan00

Postby LJay » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:09 pm

NIT show soon. Word is St John’s has already declined an invite. It will be interesting to see how many declinations happen. I’ve heard of a number so the coaches can attack the portal.

The world has changed.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby LJay » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:32 pm

Seton Hall hosts St Joe’s as a 1 seed.

Providence in same pod as 3 seed hosting Boston College.

Bwahahaha, X accepts bid at 16-17 and plays at 4 seed Georgia in the next pod.

Butler the 4 seed in the 3rd pod hosting Minnesota.

Villanova the 1 seed in the 4th pod hosting VCU.

The Big East is the king of the NIT!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby GWJay » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:34 am

Fanta indicating in late night Twitter session that BE teams may have low balled some low-majors in the non-con and were unable to schedule them in order to run up metrics in the NCSOS with blow out wins. Hmmmmm
GWJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:16 am

GWJay wrote:Fanta indicating in late night Twitter session that BE teams may have low balled some low-majors in the non-con and were unable to schedule them in order to run up metrics in the NCSOS with blow out wins. Hmmmmm

I get that could be an issue, and certainly for a few teams they had success in the BE, but had lower computer rankings that hurt them (e.g., SH), but for SJU they really meet all the metrics that a Tourney need should show:

- top 25 Kenpom and roughly that in most of the rankings
- 20 wins and 5th place finish in a tough conference (2nd or 3rd by most accounts, 4th was the lowest I've seen for BE conference rankings)

Hard to think the committee didn't screw the BE over this year
Chicagojayfan

Postby jaykorver » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Statement from the Big East: https://www.bigeast.com/news/2024/3/18/mens-basketball-big-east-statement-on-ncaa-tournament-selections.aspx

"We are very proud that UConn earned the No. 1 overall seed in this year's NCAA men's basketball tournament following another tremendous season that included both the Big East regular season and tournament titles. Marquette, a No. 2 seed, and Creighton, a No. 3 seed, give the Big East three of the top 10 overall seeds in the tournament, as many as any other league. We consider each of them legitimate contenders for a Final Four berth and another Big East national crown on April 8th.

These high seeds follow our most successful Big East Tournament to date, which saw five sellouts and our usual impassioned crowds at The World's Most Famous Arena. Our four-year extension with Madison Square Garden, announced on Friday, means that the event, a New York City staple, will celebrate its 50th anniversary at MSG in 2032, a run unmatched in the college basketball world.

We have great respect for the NCAA men's basketball committee and the time and effort that goes into selecting and seeding the teams for the NCAA tournament. It is a very challenging job, and we have been advised that this year’s upsets added to the complexity and contributed to the committee's final bracket selections. Given the high level of play in our league, we are understandably very disappointed that some worthy Big East teams were not selected to participate. We will be working closely with our schools in the coming months to best position the Big East next year and to ensure that we continue to be represented in March Madness in a manner befitting our stature as one of the best conferences in college basketball."
jaykorver

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops