2023-2024 season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2023-2024 season

Postby SeattleJay » Wed May 31, 2023 11:13 pm

vivid_dude wrote:With the core set, what’s the rotation?

Who is the #4? Kaluma’s defense, energy and athleticism will be tough to replicate. I don’t believe one guy steps in and replaces his production. Multiple guys could, with some improved shooting (Traudt and Miller) and ability to thrive without being ball dominant (Green). We will miss the things Art brought that no one else can. We won’t miss the moments that were frustrating.

Who is the backup PG? Somebody mentioned staggering the rotation. I endorse that plan. Ashworth and Trey bring the ball up the court most times. Bring in Farabello and Lawson at the #2 when one of those starters is on the bench. Maybe some Baylor at the #2 if we have Kalk and two of three (Green/Traudt/Miller) joining him in front court? Workable.

Will we rebound as well? I don’t think we take a step up in that category. Could be wrong.

Shooting - better. Potentially great, if Ashworth is as advertised, Miller and Traudt step in and Bello remembers what he was. Baylor could shoot better now that he’s used to the high major pace. Trey will improve because Trey will always improve. Plus, Kalk could be intriguing based on his combine video. As the resident Bello fanboy, I’m predicting 40% for him. Let’s get it!

Defense - experience and strength could offset Kaluma’s loss. I do not think we can say Ashworth is a step up over R2. Slight downgrade?

Experience - huge step forward.

Shot creation - worry? When a possession breaks down and we need someone to create on their own, who is it? Trey comes to mind, but no one else does. Not that R2 and Kaluma were great here, but I feel like their replacements are a step back. Prove me wrong!

Depth - I naively thought this was going to be good last year. I was wrong. Again, I think we should be solid this year. Hope I’m not wrong again.

Ball handling - step back. Ashworth isn’t as quick or as natural with the ball as R2. Could Creighton struggle against the press or aggressive on-the-ball defenders? Possibly.

Balance - CU was as balanced as any team in the starting lineup last year. If we could spread the production of Kaluma and R2 with 3-5 players, I think that’s good for the team. Let Baylor, Trey and Kalk be the centerpieces of the offense. Ashworth spreads the defense and makes threes. Bench players do the same. Assume a role and do it well around the core.

Who surprisingly steps up? Green doesn’t get a lot of hype. Does he outperform Miller and Traudt? Does Lawson validate the disappointment of Memphis fans? Are Vice or Knox players? What is Dotzler this season? Can’t wait to find out.

Great analysis and questions.

A few comments: yes, PG is the least deep. Gotta see if Dotzler can help. Otherwise, it could be Bello after Ashworth and Trey.

Starter at the 4 is probably between Traudt and Miller which feels like a step back defensively from Art. However, might be better offensively.

Elsewhere on defense, I expect Lawson to give us a big boost at the backup 2 or 3.

Depth - it feels much deeper this year. Like you, I was fooled last year.

3 point shooting is potentially much better.

That’s all in my humble opinion and based on reading about the new guys rather than seeing them play. To be fair to Green, I haven’t seen him play either.

Traudt and Lawson were both at or near top 50 in their HS class in national rankings.

Pretty exciting.
SeattleJay

Postby Creighton77 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:32 pm

Helmzy wrote:UCONN is leaving the Big East. Didn’t think it was gonna happen but it definitely will happen.

I admittedly may be well out of the loop, but I haven’t heard anything about this at all. Where would they go & why?
Creighton77

Postby Dough Boy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:18 am

Creighton77 wrote:
Helmzy wrote:UCONN is leaving the Big East. Didn’t think it was gonna happen but it definitely will happen.

I admittedly may be well out of the loop, but I haven’t heard anything about this at all. Where would they go & why?

The Big 12, and the ever popular reason: money
Dough Boy

Postby CURx » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:40 am

The article I read said football only but The Big 12 would be “willing” to take them on in all sports. I guess it’s about money but do UConn basketball fans, and they are who matters here, look forward to road trips to Norman, Stillwater, Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan…etc??

Coach to recruit from East Coast…”Hey, come play at UConn. We make annual road trips to (see places above).”

Of course I tell myself that but forget about TV money and NIL deals so who really knows anymore.
CURx

Postby T-bone » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:27 am

CURx wrote:The article I read said football only but The Big 12 would be “willing” to take them on in all sports. I guess it’s about money but do UConn basketball fans, and they are who matters here, look forward to road trips to Norman, Stillwater, Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan…etc??

Coach to recruit from East Coast…”Hey, come play at UConn. We make annual road trips to (see places above).”

Of course I tell myself that but forget about TV money and NIL deals so who really knows anymore.

I am not doubting you at all but why take UConn for football only? Lots of better football teams. It seems like their basketball team is the draw. I have also heard a slight shift in the narrative for the P5 and that basketball and even other sports that might generate revenue are being talked about as having an influence. For example, the Big 12 might not be the best football conference but they might try to be a significant football player and try to be the best basketball conference.
T-bone

Postby NateFunkyTown » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:43 am

I think he’s saying UConn only wants to join for the football money, I’m sure Big 12 wants them for basketball/other sports mostly
NateFunkyTown

Postby alum84 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am

First of many updated top 25s, now that the draft withdrawal deadline is behind us:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/01/t ... 024-season

Others BE teams: MU #7, UConn #8, VU #12

Top of the conference is going to be murder again next year.

Edit: Didn't scroll far enough. They also have St. Johns at #24.
alum84

Postby Alphawalt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:00 am

alum84 wrote:First of many updated top 25s, now that the draft withdrawal deadline is behind us:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/01/t ... 024-season

Others BE teams: MU #7, UConn #8, VU #12

Top of the conference is going to be murder again next year.

Edit: Didn't scroll far enough. They also have St. Johns at #24.

That’s VERY LAUGHABLE for St. John’s to be rated 24, the writer must be one of those east coast dreamers hoping every year that this will finally be the year for them. Xavier will certainly be better than St. John’s. There is no way St. John’s makes the tourney. I see them as a sub .500 BE season team.
Alphawalt

Postby alum84 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:32 am

Apart from Soriano, SJU is undergoing a complete roster overhaul with players I've never heard of (which means very little). My guess is he's basing the ranking mostly on Pitino.

Here's another:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -deadline/

MU #6
CU #8
UConn #11
VU #24
alum84

Postby RyanHolmgren » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:35 am

Agree regarding SJU, though it should be noted that Jeff Goodman has them in his top 25 as well. Pitino could roll out five members of the Blue Crew and national writers would salivate about his team's talent. I don't see it.
RyanHolmgren

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops