Arthur Kaluma

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Arthur Kaluma

Postby jayrock222 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:45 pm

I am definitely not meaning to put down the the players we have. I think they have a lot to offer that is different than Kaluma. I expect our forwards to be an upgrade offensively from the 3 point line. I also agree that Miller has some great ups and a nose for the ball rebounding wise. Concern is that he needs to continue to add some size so as not to get pushed around.
jayrock222

Postby Ethanfor3 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:54 pm

The makeup of each team is different which is why the college game is so intriguing.

Losing Art will have 2 negatives in my opinion:

Less athleticism to defend NBA type big 3’s and athletic 4’s which Art is physically suited for

Hustle plays where Art would find a way “physically” to get an additional possession

What we’ll get in return with the combination of Miller / Traudt:

Better 3 point shooting
More length
Less athleticism to defend the dribble drive which hopefully is mitigated by Big Ryan in the middle.

I’m sad to see Art go, he represented the university respectfully including during games when he didn’t get prime starter minutes

However, we might ultimately be a better offensive team surrounding Ryan and Trey with better 3 point shooters which will optimize their game.

I guarantee Mac is thinking through how to make use of his new assets while he works his golf game this summer.

Go Jays!
Ethanfor3

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:48 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
jayrock222 wrote:I was reading a story about Omaha Biliew today in the Des Moines Register. I was thinking against this type of player is where we will miss Kaluma this most. Same as when we are guarding Bryce Hopkins.

It's going to depend - both Hopkins and Omaha are more traditionally slotted at SF. Art could defend them, but they would be giving up some bulk against him in the post (and height for Hopkins). Likely for next year's team we do pretty much what we did this year which was that the better wing player is defended by Alexander and then we do the best we can among the others (thankfully w/ Kalk in the paint).

Traudt and Miller will be different - Traudt will match up better in the post against teams that run out more of a post player type at the 4. Miller showed more on defense last year down the stretch and definitely upped his hustle and aggressiveness. His athleticism is very high on the chartsn(thought Lorenzi said 40 or 41" recently for vertical) but he's a bit between a 4 and 3 as he's tall, but skinny, so will depend a bit on how he learns to defend on the wing and how much added muscle he's added

And don't forget Green who is a very athletic defender himself - there were a few times last year where I thought we could have really used another 6-7/6-8 defender off the bench

Art was a very good player, but I feel good about the types of players we have here for this season

A player’s vertical is only one part of their “athleticism”. A important part yes, but not the be all and end all.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:53 am

SonofFrankTomera wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:
jayrock222 wrote:I was reading a story about Omaha Biliew today in the Des Moines Register. I was thinking against this type of player is where we will miss Kaluma this most. Same as when we are guarding Bryce Hopkins.

It's going to depend - both Hopkins and Omaha are more traditionally slotted at SF. Art could defend them, but they would be giving up some bulk against him in the post (and height for Hopkins). Likely for next year's team we do pretty much what we did this year which was that the better wing player is defended by Alexander and then we do the best we can among the others (thankfully w/ Kalk in the paint).

Traudt and Miller will be different - Traudt will match up better in the post against teams that run out more of a post player type at the 4. Miller showed more on defense last year down the stretch and definitely upped his hustle and aggressiveness. His athleticism is very high on the chartsn(thought Lorenzi said 40 or 41" recently for vertical) but he's a bit between a 4 and 3 as he's tall, but skinny, so will depend a bit on how he learns to defend on the wing and how much added muscle he's added

And don't forget Green who is a very athletic defender himself - there were a few times last year where I thought we could have really used another 6-7/6-8 defender off the bench

Art was a very good player, but I feel good about the types of players we have here for this season

A player’s vertical is only one part of their “athleticism”. A important part yes, but not the be all and end all.

No doubt, but top 100 rankings aren't due to skills alone - otherwise Zierden would have been ranked far higher. My first point was that it's not like we are digging around for underrated hustle guys - the three guys we have who can play the 4 are ranked 50th, 71st, and 184 (Green also has a 7 ft wingspan). Miller's a very good athlete, though, and I think we'll see it on the court this year. His bulk may be a problem against some players, though, depending on how strong he's gotten by the time the season starts

Kaluma's athletic testing numbers were pretty good at the combine, but his wingspan is what made him more versatile. Of course, the 3 pt shooting (one of the highest %'s tracked in our practices) is the sales point for him, but he needs to hit them in games
Chicagojayfan

Postby LJay » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:36 pm

Leading scorer and rebounder in KSU loss to SMU in secret scrimmage.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby Syajeulb » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:54 pm

3-7 from 3.
Syajeulb

Postby mannygakou » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:05 am

2-5 from the FT line
mannygakou

Postby slaw » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:44 am