Arthur Kaluma

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Arthur Kaluma

Postby vivid_dude » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:53 pm

Nolds wrote:Headed to Kansas St as a 1 and done. He’ll get a chance to go up against preseason #1 Kansas twice. He won’t fit there. Feels like a “settled” for situation. My guess is that he severely burned bridges at Creighton. I’m hoping for the best for him. He gave a lot to the Jays. But I’m betting he took a pay cut and had to commit without “feature” promises. Hopefully, he’ll be ready to advance after the upcoming season.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but...

"He won't fit there." Why? He's a perfect plug-in on an Elite Eight team for a departing player. Seems like a very good fit. Jacob provided the substance here.

"Feels like a 'settled' for situation." Why? He found a great fit at a very good basketball program. You have no idea what he was looking for. People speculated about all these other schools, but no one ever heard from Art.

"My guess is that he severely burned bridges at Creighton." Why? He gave two great years and, as is almost more commonplace than not in college basketball these days, he decided to look for greener pastures. By his standards.

I'm hoping for the best for him. Doesn't seem to be the case, but I'll take your word for it.

"But I'm betting he took a pay cut and had to commit without "feature" promises." Huh?

Not my favorite post of 2023. I'm sure you'll get over it.
vivid_dude

Postby HandDownManDown » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:11 pm

Well, if basically painting yourself into a corner to the point there was no realistic way to come back qualifies as ‘burning bridges’ then I 100 percent agree with that aspect.

It’s very possible he’s ‘making’ less as well, though there’s no way to know. What I do know is all his actions all year pointed to him leaving to the NBA and we pay well; if you do that you might easily wind up with a pay cut.
HandDownManDown

Postby go_jays » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:52 pm

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.
Last edited by go_jays on Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
go_jays

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:12 am

My positions:

This is now college basketball. Love it or hate it, this is the new normal until the rules change.

These types of transfers will be common.

Fans shouldn’t take it personally. And they shouldn’t recklessly speculate about the reasoning for the now-normal behavior, especially when that foundation-less speculation unfairly paints a negative picture of a college kid doing what the rules allow (encourage??) and what he thinks is best for him and his present/future. That may have been a run-on sentence.

To be clear, you CAN take it personally and recklessly speculate, but you SHOULDN’T. It’s a bad look.

I thank Art, R2 and every player who put on that jersey. And I don’t hold it against them for leaving. They don’t owe me an explanation. I just root for Steven Ashworth and Isaac Traudt now and I’m sure they understand that.
vivid_dude

Postby SDJay » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:28 am

vivid_dude wrote:My positions:

This is now college basketball. Love it or hate it, this is the new normal until the rules change.

Fans shouldn’t take it personally. And they shouldn’t recklessly speculate about the reasoning for the now-normal behavior, especially when that foundation-less speculation unfairly paints a negative picture of a college kid doing what the rules allow (encourage??) and what he thinks is best for him and his present/future. That may have been a run-on sentence.

To be clear, you CAN take it personally and recklessly speculate, but you SHOULDN’T. It’s a bad look.

I thank Art, R2 and every player who put on that jersey. And I don’t hold it against them for leaving. They don’t owe me an explanation. I just root for Steven Ashworth and Isaac Traudt now and I’m sure they understand that.

+1
"Have fun storming the Castle!"- Miracle Max
“Endeavor to persevere”- Lone Watie
SDJay

Postby KenoshaJay » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:28 am

vivid_dude wrote:My positions:

Agree.

But the numbers and experiences re NIL will be more open and available in the future. Players, coaches and fans will learn about and adjust with the game......
KenoshaJay

Postby jayrock222 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:36 am

I was reading a story about Omaha Biliew today in the Des Moines Register. I was thinking against this type of player is where we will miss Kaluma this most. Same as when we are guarding Bryce Hopkins.
jayrock222

Postby Django » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:32 pm

jayrock222 wrote:I was reading a story about Omaha Biliew today in the Des Moines Register. I was thinking against this type of player is where we will miss Kaluma this most. Same as when we are guarding Bryce Hopkins.

You’re in the wrong place, the majority of posters on here don’t want players like Omaha and Art or other highly ranked recruits. They want to see Ricky Krecklow dive for loose balls and fall down in the lane.
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:44 pm

Django wrote:
jayrock222 wrote:I was reading a story about Omaha Biliew today in the Des Moines Register. I was thinking against this type of player is where we will miss Kaluma this most. Same as when we are guarding Bryce Hopkins.

You’re in the wrong place, the majority of posters on here don’t want players like Omaha and Art or other highly ranked recruits. They want to see Ricky Krecklow dive for loose balls and fall down in the lane.

I think we want the best players and best athletes we can get who will work within a team structure, play the kind of D we want, be a good rep of the school and do well in classes (despite NIL, Creighton still is a University).

Art did most of those well, but has gone his way. He was ranked 42 by one service, but we replaced him with two other very highly rated forwards (Traudt at 50th and Miller at 71st and Green as well, who I think was underrated at 189. Oh, and let's not forget Lawson who was 84th in his class also!) so all in all doing well, and if you think Mason isn't athletic, you're sadly mistaken, he had a higher vertical than Art

So much for the view that you keep spewing on this board, I mean, looking at the numbers, it's entirely BS, now isn't it
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:54 pm

It's going to depend - both Hopkins and Omaha are more traditionally slotted at SF. Art could defend them, but they would be giving up some bulk against him in the post (and height for Hopkins). Likely for next year's team we do pretty much what we did this year which was that the better wing player is defended by Alexander and then we do the best we can among the others (thankfully w/ Kalk in the paint).

Traudt and Miller will be different - Traudt will match up better in the post against teams that run out more of a post player type at the 4. Miller showed more on defense last year down the stretch and definitely upped his hustle and aggressiveness. His athleticism is very high on the chartsn(thought Lorenzi said 40 or 41" recently for vertical) but he's a bit between a 4 and 3 as he's tall, but skinny, so will depend a bit on how he learns to defend on the wing and how much added muscle he's added

And don't forget Green who is a very athletic defender himself - there were a few times last year where I thought we could have really used another 6-7/6-8 defender off the bench

Art was a very good player, but I feel good about the types of players we have here for this season
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops