Trey Alexander

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Trey Alexander

Postby #RollJays » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:06 pm

Trey is at the point now where if he shoots 35% from the field in a game, we are disappointed in his performance.
#RollJays

Postby Alphawalt » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:21 pm

#RollJays wrote:Trey is at the point now where if he shoots 35% from the field in a game, we are disappointed in his performance.

He is preseason first team all BE, on top 50 players list, and wants to be selected first round NBA. Shooting 35% is disappointing and not what is expected of him. It comes with the territory he is in. He is definitely pressing in the past several games, not with the easy confidence he had in the early games this year. His three point shooting is well down from last year - 29% vs. 41%, significant difference.
Alphawalt

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:33 pm

Alphawalt wrote:
#RollJays wrote:Trey is at the point now where if he shoots 35% from the field in a game, we are disappointed in his performance.

He is preseason first team all BE, on top 50 players list, and wants to be selected first round NBA. Shooting 35% is disappointing and not what is expected of him. It comes with the territory he is in. He is definitely pressing in the past several games, not with the easy confidence he had in the early games this year. His three point shooting is well down from last year - 29% vs. 41%, significant difference.

He and the team are still adjusting a bit for him taking so much of the ballhandling and for teams really marking him like they have defensively. Yes, his 3 PT shooting is down, but even with the slump lately his 2 PT shooting is the highest of his career (TS% still at .523) and he's increased about every other statistic - rebounds, assists, steals, and even blocks a bit

The last 2 games make me think he's going to start to turn things around
7/12 and 6/17 from the floor, but with 7 and 5 rebounds, and 3 and 5 assists. Loyola and Colorado state were pretty ugly, but he's bounced back a bit already and been productive the last 2 games. Once the 3 PT shot settles in again, he'll be fully back on track

I think a good part of it is Ashworth playing better and more aggressively, and the other guys on the court being a bit more decisive to give him an outlet when teams overplay him like that
Chicagojayfan

Postby 5PointsBank3 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 pm

Another thing to consider is Trey is being asked to guard the other teams best perimeter player every night. He’s expending a lot of energy on the defensive side of the ball. I believe both Khyri and Ty-Shon saw dips in offensive production their sophomore seasons when asked to fill a similar role.

Jeremy has done an excellent job with strength and conditioning for the program, so I’m hopeful they can find a way to allow Trey to play good D and still have his legs under him on his jumpers
5PointsBank3

Postby Realhoops » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:47 pm

He’s also getting his own shot blocked back into his face more than ever — numerous times in the last few games, starting in KC.

He has honestly looked a bit ill. Maybe it’s just having to work harder to get open, etc., but he mostly seems to be lacking that initial burst and lift a bit. The dunk on Mast was more like it, but he hasn’t been getting up like that since before KC. And a lot of his turnarounds have been short and flat the last few games.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby omajay » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:27 pm

Trey went through a similar slump about this time last year as I recall. He definitely didn’t play well against NU last year. I think teams are just focused on shutting him down and taking their chances with others. If Steven’s production continues to improve like it has, Trey will get better looks.
omajay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:23 am

omajay wrote:Trey went through a similar slump about this time last year as I recall. He definitely didn’t play well against NU last year. I think teams are just focused on shutting him down and taking their chances with others. If Steven’s production continues to improve like it has, Trey will get better looks.

He got a lot of good looks against Nebraska. Just didn't shoot well.

Hopefully that poster on Mast gets him going again, then. For us to even approach our ceiling, I think his mid-range game has to be elite. It was at the start of the year, and has been way off the last four games or so. We also need him to finish at the rim more consistently. At the beginning of the year he was posterizing someone every game and rarely being seriously contested when going to the rim. The last four games or so, he's way more likely to have it rejected with some authority than he is to finish it. Again, until that poster on Mast.

Saturday should be a get right game for some of that stuff and a good chance to get Dotzler and Green some more minutes in the second half. I hope.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby go_jays » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:19 am

#RollJays wrote:Trey is at the point now where if he shoots 35% from the field in a game, we are disappointed in his performance

Well, if he does, we SHOULD be disappointed. Maybe you mean from 3?

He's shooting 42.6% from the field (that's 7th on the team) and 28.9 % from 3 (that's also 7th on the team). He's still averaging 16 points a game. But he's got a lot of attempts to get that 16 points per game.

So, my guess is that he's very disappointed in himself. So, I see no reason we shouldn't be also.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:32 am

I'm wondering if the added responsibility of playing Point is effecting his ability to make plays. Playing and finding space and your shots playing the 2 is much easier when you don't have to also be the director/traffic cop and have the ball in your hands a lot.

It's a bit of a conundrum, I think. He came back to do just that so he could improve his stock. However, I think he would be playing better if he didn't have that added responsibility. Will be interesting to see how they handle that going forward.

I think it would be in the TEAM'S best interest if he played less PG. But it's in HIS best interest (maybe, we'll see) if he doesn't.
go_jays

Postby #RollJays » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:21 am

go_jays wrote:
#RollJays wrote:Trey is at the point now where if he shoots 35% from the field in a game, we are disappointed in his performance

Well, if he does, we SHOULD be disappointed. Maybe you mean from 3?

He's shooting 42.6% from the field (that's 7th on the team) and 28.9 % from 3 (that's also 7th on the team). He's still averaging 16 points a game. But he's got a lot of attempts to get that 16 points per game.

So, my guess is that he's very disappointed in himself. So, I see no reason we shouldn't be also.

He is going to shoot under 35% in a game roughly 1/3 of the time as a mid 40's shooter. Add in the added weight of being the main playmaker and guarding the other team's best guard. It's just kind of absurd to think he is going to be highly efficient night in and night out with those added responsibilities. He's so good that if he gets his shot blocked once or twice per game people think he gets it blocked on every attempt. Nevermind the fact that we need him to apply that rim pressure to free up open looks for other players.
#RollJays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops