Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Dundee Hipster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Let's never schedule Wichita State. We got the last laugh, twice. Senior night 2013 and MVC title game. Mic drop. End of story.

I'd consider scheduling someone like Illinois State or Indiana State but those are the only teams I'd be interested in playing. They're not named Wichita or UNI but aren't bad enough to destroy your RPI necessarily.

We get no real benefit from scheduling an MVC team though.

I just don't want to see us scheduling those 300+ RPI teams. Programs like Providence avoid doing it and they're RPI remains strong because of it.
Dundee Hipster

Postby JayPak » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:04 pm

section202jay wrote:I want to see us schedule a close, respectable opponent for a home-home series. A game where we could actually travel to. A series with say Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado State, K-State or something.

WCC as they were this year and last year has enough of a national reputation and RPI that a loss to them is better or no worse for the resumé than the other teams listed. And it's a stretch to call the Roundhouse a "glorified high school gym." (The McLeod Center, yes.) But, like FreddyMac, I'd rather play new, non-MVC teams that would make for a driveable road trip... Missouri if they improve, K-State, Minnesota, Iowa... Wouldn't want to play Kansas or Iowa State (or WCC for that matter) as a true road game b/c it'd be difficult and expensive to get tickets. Play those teams neutral.
Last edited by JayPak on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:It's hilarious to me how so many are becoming that which we once despised (*ahem* Atty Alum *cough cough*).

I assume you're all willing to take back every insulting comment you made to the big conference teams when we were in the MVC and couldn't get any prominent games scheduled?

Lol. Fans. All the same.

If you are going to accuse me of something, provide a prior post as an example. Otherwise, STFU and stop making things up.

(You won't find any such quote, of course, because I never said what you are accusing me of...you obviously have me confused with someone else. Acknowledge it and move on.)

I'd be happy to provide an explanation. And keep in mind, this goes back several years. Even to the old message board.

Back when we were in the MVC, there was not a more reasoned, thoughtful, dare-I-say awesome defender of the Bluejays and our conference than you. That's no joke and is absolutely a compliment. When Husker fans or other "big conference fans" came and bashed our little school or little conference, there was no one better at putting them in their place. Whenever a Jay Bilas or other national pundit shortchanged the Jays because of our SOS or conference, you (along with RealHoops) were the best at setting forth how and why they were misguided. For what it's worth, I envied how much better you could articulate it than I could.

It was the #1 thing I associated with you, as random message board poster guy. Monica Lewinsky had the blue dress. Flavor Flav had the over-sized clock. AttyAlum could defend the hell out of CU against the big conference bias.

Now that we are in one of those bigger conferences - the ones that you were so good at shredding - you've done a complete 180. You are what you used to be critical of. Your reasoned, thoughtful, dare-I-say awesome defending of CU two years ago has been seemingly abandoned for the exact opposite position on the debate. Your bashing of Wichita last year, when they were undefeated, would have never happened if we were in the same conference as them. The argument shouldn't change, even if the circumstances have. I find that disingenuous, but not the end of the world. You're not alone.

So, I guess that's why I take the shots. It's nothing personal. It's just kinda amazing to me how everyone has forgotten so quickly, led by the guy who was the Atticus Finch of the debate so recently. Now, it's more like My Cousin Vinny. Don't take it personally. Just something I noticed. Now that it's been explained, I'll let it go (if I'm capable...so probably not).

I think the off-season is here.

Well, now you are changing arguments. I said I had zero interest in playing WSU. I never said that they were (i) not a good team, (ii) that they would hurt our schedule strength, or (iii) that they would not make for a solid opponent. Whenever I defended the league, it was due to those sorts of arguments. You are making things up again, but that is your m.o.

The reality is that we already have a home and home with Nebraska yearly, a Big East-Big Ten challenge, which will result in a home and home series, is on the horizon, and we have some sort of scheduling alliance/challenge with the Pac 12 in the works as well. Depending on the year, I would guess the administration probably only desires one other home and home series. Wichita, I would suspect, would want a home and home series. I would rather see what else is out there in the way of new and fresh opponents (a la an Oklahoma series) than use that last spot on WSU. There is nothing hypocritical or inconsistent in that thought process. Of course, I think you probably knew that and were just trying to create an argument. Making up strawmen and then voicing your outrage for those strawmen is also one of your m.o.'s. Perhaps due to some sort of character flaw, you really seem to be most happy when you arguing with someone.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Old MVC Days » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Wouldn't mind us scheduling Drake for the sake of Jethro's.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm

No, no, no. Now you’re talking about something different. I don’t care about scheduling WSU this year. I care about the near-consensus change of heart about how majors should schedule mid-majors. This isn’t the first time I’ve brought it up. If I could go back, I wouldn't have singled you out for it. So, sorry for that. But it is an observation that I thought was worth commenting on.

But out of curiosity, what is the strawman I made up? I thought I set forth my criticism pretty succinctly. And I paid you a ton of compliments in the process.

As for character flaws, I probably do like to argue too much. I consider it debate and bringing different perspectives to the table, as opposed to some linear line of thinking. Message boards wouldn't be very interesting if it was everybody saying the same damn thing.
vivid_dude

Postby JayPak » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Old MVC Days wrote:Wouldn't mind us scheduling Drake for the sake of Jethro's.

Why not schedule Drake roadie, as long as it replaces a Central Arkansas, UTPA, or other awful RPI team? Should be a win, our fans would take over the Knapp even more than when we played them regularly due to scarcity (we could stipulate it be a weekend game and no barriers to Creighton fans buying tickets like requiring package buys), the RPI would get a bump over a normal patsy since it's a road game, and it would be a "safe" practice road game before playing more difficult contests.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Old MVC Days » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Horrible performances at Drake also come to mind but I do agree. Make it a Saturday night. Early December.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby Old MVC Days » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:45 pm

vivid_dude wrote:No, no, no. Now you’re talking about something different. I don’t care about scheduling WSU this year. I care about the near-consensus change of heart about how majors should schedule mid-majors. This isn’t the first time I’ve brought it up. If I could go back, I wouldn't have singled you out for it. So, sorry for that. But it is an observation that I thought was worth commenting on.

But out of curiosity, what is the strawman I made up? I thought I set forth my criticism pretty succinctly. And I paid you a ton of compliments in the process.

As for character flaws, I probably do like to argue too much. I consider it debate and bringing different perspectives to the table, as opposed to some linear line of thinking. Message boards wouldn't be very interesting if it was everybody saying the same damn thing.

Old MVC Days

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:48 pm

There are hundreds of thousands of reasons to not do that.

And then there's the fact that we would be their Super Bowl again, and that's been enough in the past.

No thanks.

Oh and hey Shockernet lurker: how does it feel to have a 5000 post thread that can be summed up with the statement 'in the game of conference realignment, fate is sticking it to us where the sun doesn't shine' on your message board? Have fun at Sundeckers.
HandDownManDown

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Sorry, no Wichita. We got out of the MVC to stop playing so many toothless bumpkins.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops